Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th June 2011, 01:55   #1
Senior - BHPian

Gearbox / Transmission noise

Hi,

We own a 2007 Skoda Octavia 1.9TDi which has done approx 63k kms. When i shift from 1st to 2nd gear at 3000 Rpm or upwards i hear a grinding noise. If i shift at lesser rpm'sit shifts flawlessly. We've regularly got it serviced at Vinayak Cars in bangalore and our experience has been very good. Aside these problems the car is perfect, rock-stable at high speeds and i always have a smile on my face when i look at the fuel guage

Problems i have

Transmission This problem surfaced a few days back. The car has been subject to a fair amount of abuse as the drivers we've had are not careful in handling the car. We've had 4 till now, except for the current driver the others were useless. I will be sending the car for service in a few days so wanted to know what is wrong and if it requires any major replacements.
Alignment problem: Car pulls to the left a lot! Once a driver hit a pothole at around 80km/hr and the impact was such that the hub cap got detached and we lost it. Also,dad once hit a kerb at speed and the tyre had cracked, we had to throw the tyre and buy a new one again it was the left front wheel. Could there have been some serious damage to the suspension in any/both these accidents ? Service center guys never fix this and its very annoying to drive with the car constantly pulling to the left. What needs to be done to fix it?
Brake pedal: I find the brake pedal adjustment very low and its scary at high speeds. The system kicks in after the pedal is 40% compressed. The service advisor gives me crap like "Sir,its auto adjust and there's nothing that can be done" how do i fix this?

Recently, when i start my car i hear noise (similar to one made by old hand air pumps used to fill air into cycle tyres) from the right front wheel. What could be wrong ?

PS: Transmission problems i have on my car have been faced by another member, however it was due to the service centre trying to cheat him so i started a new thread as not much about the problem itself was discussed there.
Old 7th June 2011, 15:22   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: Skoda Octavia 1.9TDI transmission noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post

Problems i have

Transmission This problem surfaced a few days back. The car has been subject to a fair amount of abuse as the drivers we've had are not careful in handling the car. We've had 4 till now, except for the current driver the others were useless. I will be sending the car for service in a few days so wanted to know what is wrong and if it requires any major replacements.
Alignment problem: Car pulls to the left a lot! Once a driver hit a pothole at around 80km/hr and the impact was such that the hub cap got detached and we lost it. Also,dad once hit a kerb at speed and the tyre had cracked, we had to throw the tyre and buy a new one again it was the left front wheel. Could there have been some serious damage to the suspension in any/both these accidents ? Service center guys never fix this and its very annoying to drive with the car constantly pulling to the left. What needs to be done to fix it?
Brake pedal: I find the brake pedal adjustment very low and its scary at high speeds. The system kicks in after the pedal is 40% compressed. The service advisor gives me crap like "Sir,its auto adjust and there's nothing that can be done" how do i fix this?

Transmission- Seems like the syncronizers are bust. Best to get it checked at a competent mech to confirm.

Aligment- take it to an independent alignment center and they should be able to pin point if the damage can be rectified or the car needs more attention.

Brake pedal- Well they are right the disc brake set ups dont have much to adjust since they are self adjusting. Though if your car has rear drum brakes, setting them will definitely help to reduce the pedal play. Also do check the brake servo and the tubes that feed the vacuum to the servo.
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2011, 16:21   #3
Senior - BHPian

Re: Skoda Octavia 1.9TDI transmission noise

Thanks for the suggestion Jaggu. I had the alignment checked at Madhus when i got my tyre's replaced @57k kms. The alignment was ok then, will get it re-checked this time.
Regarding the brakes, the rear one's are drum brakes. Now the recommended service interval is 15k kms, do you mean to say that i have to get the pedal adjusted more often say at 5k for the rear brakes alone ?

For transmission issue it would be of great help if someone can provide me contact details of a good independent mechanic.
Old 5th October 2012, 05:29   #4
BHPian

Logan gear box noise.

I am using a 2008 Diesel Logan , bought second hand and refurbished. There is no problem except an unusual dull noise coming from the transmission when driving in 4th and 5th gears. Speed, pick up nothing else is affected. Problem had reduced a bit after gear oil change but has relapsed after 1000 km driving. We have a petrol logan in which this problem is not present. The mechanic at Mahindra workshop tells me there is nothing to worry as it is common with Diesel Logans. Some how I am not convinced.
Can anyone please advise from their experience?
Old 5th October 2012, 08:05   #5
Senior - BHPian

Re: Logan gear box noise.

My cousin has a Logan and I don't seem to remember there being any similar noise in their car, though I can find out.

Considering the noise reduced when gear oil was changed, sounds like a lubrication issue
pganapathy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2012, 11:38   #6
Senior - BHPian

Re: Logan gear box noise.

I have a diesel Logan from May 2007 and it has clocked around 80000 kms. I have had no such experience at any point in time. In fact, the car still runs and rides as good as it was, when new. Please get your GB checked elsewhere. There may be some issue cropping up due to bad usage from the previous ownership.
roy_libran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2012, 23:54   #7
BHPian

Re: Gearbox / Transmission noise

Thank you both.I will have this car's gearbox checked. perhaps it is a problem with supporting bearings which need replacement.
Old 7th January 2014, 20:27   #8
BHPian

Ertiga Petrol Clutch/Transmission Sound

I bought Ertiga VXI couple of months back and there is this very annoying sound (clunk) when changing gears (especially 2nd to 3rd and 3rd to 4th); once when changing gear and once more when releasing the clutch. This sound also comes when you suddenly press accelerator when cruising in 3rd, 4th or 5th gear in low rpm.

I had bought this immediately to the notice of Maruti Service station on the second day itself. They put the car on the ramp and checked everything. Then they told me that they could not find anything wrong and promised me to rectify the problem in the first service.

In the first service, the supervisor told me that he checked in another petrol Ertiga and the sound exists in it too. It is probably due to the hydraulic clutch system. Even I checked the petrol Ertiga in the service station and the sound did exist.

The sound is very feeble initially and increases after running for some time. I'm very disappointed with the quality of Maruti and regret my decision.

After searching on the Net to see if th problem exists in all petrol Ertigas, I found this thread on another forum too. Seems like we Indians are taken for a ride. I'm thinking of filing a case in the consumer court, but my brothers warned me against it as they too had filed a case against Maruti for defect in their Grand Vitara but lost the case.
Old 9th December 2014, 20:53   #9

Gear creaking/grinding noise when not engaged properly

Hello!,

I drive a maruti swift Petrol, and am new to driving (for about a month now). Though i'm pretty much well acquainted with changing gears , I sometimes make mistakes particularly with reverse. Recently when i put the shifter in reverse while reversing from a parking space, believing the gear had engaged, I let go of the clutch with a little bit of throttle, the gear then made quite a loud creaking/grinding noise and then i saw that reverse hadn't engaged properly I then tried again and luckily it didn't happen this time. This incident has bothered me a lot and i'm now worried about the extent of damage i've caused to my gearbox. I wanted to ask y'all which part of the transmission would have been damaged the most because of my stupidity, is it the synchronizing rings or the gear teeth themselves?

Thanking you all for your help and guidance in advance.
Old 9th December 2014, 22:21   #10
Senior - BHPian

Re: Gear creaking/grinding noise when not engaged properly

1. Throttle, a little or a lot has nothing to do with the gear not slotting correctly.

2. Neither has luck anything to do with the same.

It is how you slot the gear in. Do not try and force the gear lever into a general direction rather follow the gear shift pattern as close to the depicted path on the gear knob. With time the correct motion will become second nature.

While engaging reverse, at times the gear lever will not slot properly or completely. In such case engage the clutch and bring the lever back to the neutral and release the clutch. Use the clutch again and slot the lever in to reverse. 99.999% of the times it will slot properly, in case you are stuck with the .001% simply carry out the exercise again and you will get there.

As for the loud crunching noise, it is the hardened gear teeth gnashing together and calling out for you to return to neutral and try again. It will be an insane amount of force that will break the gear box on modern day cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SydNaz View Post
Recently when i put the shifter in reverse while reversing from a parking space, believing the gear had engaged, I let go of the clutch with a little bit of throttle, the gear then made quite a loud creaking/grinding noise and then i saw that reverse hadn't engaged properly I then tried again and luckily it didn't happen this time.
khoj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th December 2014, 22:28   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SydNaz View Post
Hello!,

, is it the synchronizing rings or the gear teeth themselves?

Thanking you all for your help and guidance in advance.
Synchronising gear is the one which takes the first hit. If it was badly damaged then you will have grinding noise more frequently. If few teeth got damaged then the krrr sound will come again soon while changing into reverse. But if it wasn't damaged then things will be fine for you.
Randhawa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2014, 22:40   #12
Senior - BHPian

Sydnaz firstly CHILL, you have not done any damage at all. Maruti's are known for mis shifts in reverse. The gear did not engage and the krrr you heard did not cause any damage.

As a precaution, after you have put it into reverse, let the clutch go a bit without pressing the accelerator and see if reverse has indeed been engaged. If it has, then you can jab the accelerator, if not, put it back in neutral, then first, let the clutch go a bit, then neutral and re engage reverse. Works all the time.

In my car when I start it for the first time in the day, reverse never goes, I just put in first, let the clutch go a bit, put it in neutral and back to reverse. Its all okay.
humyum is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th December 2014, 05:52   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

@Randhawa ...eerrrrr....AFAIK reverse gear does not have synchro rings.

@SydNaz no worries unless you are doing this on regular basis.
sudev is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th December 2014, 07:49   #14
Senior - BHPian

Don't worry mate. Doesn't hamper if you have done that. But don't let it in that state for a long time. The second you hear that, bring to neutral and try engaging the gear again. Don't even move the car another centimtere, the moment you hear that.

It has happened to me couple of times in my Beat.

Double cranking, hand brake engaged, gear not slotted in - These are common occurences in an automobile world. Catch is that you don't let it continue for a longer duration. Just stop immediately.
Soumyajit9 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th December 2014, 19:45   #15

Re: Gearbox / Transmission noise

I also faced similar problem in my Chevy Spark today. I was coming back home after visiting a doctor.

Some road construction work was going on the main road and it was blocked. So I thought of taking a detour. This alternate route was very bumpy. As I entered the road I encountered a big/steep bump. I was in 3rd gear, I thought I would be able to surpass it. I was wrong. The car stalled as my speed was low. Since there was a car just before me I immediately applied hand brake to prevent my car moving back. Now the real story starts.

With my car stalled on the upslope of the bump and in third gear. I pressed the clutch and cranked the engine, and to my consternation I heard this weird screeching sound from the transmission!!. I tried to crank the engine again but the sound was still there.

Then before going to neutral, I tried to start the car in second and first gear as well, but found the same problem. I got a bit petrified and started thinking of walking home with my wife. But the crazy guy before me in his Honda city didn't allow me to rest by honking incessantly.

Then finally I tried to start the car in neutral. Voila!. It started. Somehow I avoided the walk home scenario. However that incident left me confused. So when I reached home I tried to simulate the same in my parking.

I could started my car in 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear without any issue or sound.

Now was that problem was because of the bump slope ? or does hand brake have anything to do with this noise ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks