Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 8th June 2011, 15:07   #1

Baleno Steering/Suspension overhaul Cost

Hi guys,

Total newbie(as far as knowledge of cars goes ) here. Have a Baleno that's been with us for almost six years now, and has done 1.32L on the odometer. It's a truly brilliant car, and hasn't undergone any major work till date. It's been driven well and treated with care, but has been suffering from suspension problems for some time, including lots of random noises when driving over potholed roads.

So I took it today to Motorcraft Noida, who says it needs a clutch overhaul, approx Rs. 5K, and the shocker...a steering/suspension overhaul, which will cost close to Rs. 50K!

So my question is...should an overhaul cost me that much? As things stand, I've asked the service person to give me an exact estimate of parts that need to be replaced, and what exactly it is that's pushing up the cost so much. He says he'll call me by evening and tell me.

Any advice is very welcome!

Vineet
Old 8th June 2011, 16:50   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Baleno Steering/Suspension overhaul Cost

Could you ask him the details as to what is he going to do in overhaul, and is this front suspension or rear one. I got my front suspension replaced with other related parts and disc brakes and it cost me close to 30-40K.

Last edited by mayankjha1806 : 8th June 2011 at 16:51.
mayankjha1806 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2011, 18:21   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
Could you ask him the details as to what is he going to do in overhaul, and is this front suspension or rear one.
+1 Ask him to list all the parts he going to overhaul / replace and the cost for each of them. IMO the price seems high.
Sabby-069 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2011, 19:50   #4
BHPian

Hi SuperSnooper.

The price for the clutch overhaul is correct and I recommend you get it done from Maruti only. The default clutch on the Baleno is long lasting and I don't recommend an after market or getting it done from somewhere else.

The suspension overhaul is costly(post breakup) and you could look at an aftermarket set. Usually, it's the front that conks off. At 1.26 lakh kms, my rear suspension is still working fine. I think I bought the TRW make one but i'm not sure about the same. You can get them from khan/kashmere gate. If you're ok spending and plan to retain the car then you could also go in for the original shocks that Maruti provides. I'm very satisfied with the after market suspension overhaul though.

As far as steering overhaul goes, any steering expert will charge you between 2.5 to 3k and the process involves changing oil seals. I got this done from Kashmere gate as well but it didn't last over 1 year so procured a second hand steering rack for 6k some months back. I don't recommend the guy because of how arrogant he is and the only reason I had to go to him was because I'd got the leak fixed from him before. Ofcourse, it's possible that my steering had some very serious problem considering how often it leaked. Here's my thread. Best of luck!
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...-required.html

Last edited by sukrit7 : 8th June 2011 at 19:52.
sukrit7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2011, 08:06   #5
v&v
Senior - BHPian

SuperSnooper,
Clutch and steering/suspension overhaul quot as per MASS is correct. I would suggest to take quot from FNG too. I did get my banelo's clutch + steering + front & back suspension + power steering pump (failed, replaced with used one) for around 30k approx.
v&v is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2011, 15:40   #6
Senior - BHPian

If you like you could also check at Carnation. I always give my car for service at Carnation as i am generally happy with the results and attention.
Old 9th June 2011, 16:30   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quite possible if you add up the parts to be replaced. For eg, just the pair of front lower arms cost me 15K
Old 9th June 2011, 17:14   #8
BHPian

One of my friends had his Baleno's steering column replaced under warranty three months back as he had bought his car from True Value. They showed him the cost of the steering column and it was indeed 50k. They replaced it even thought the part was this expensive which I never thought they would.
Old 10th June 2011, 14:21   #9

Thanks for the info, everyone...this is very enlightening! Update: the Motorcraft engineer himself called and told me to wait a few more months before getting the overhaul done, so my car is back with all the other work done (and running like a dream)...but no steering/suspension overhaul yet. He did give me a breakup, though:

Arm: 7184x2
Front right shocker: 5906
Front left shocker: 6389
Steering End: 1421x2
Tie Rod End: 2279x2
Shocker Kit: 10000
Rear shockers: 6283x2

So I'm already at some 56k...and this is not counting labour!!

Do these prices seem alright? Also, I'm a little confused as to how they can be so sure that everything needs replacement and nothing is repairable, without even opening up the suspension...is that normal? I would like to get this done sooner or later, and would rather get it done from Motorcraft, it being a reliable place, but seems rather pricey still...

Thanks!
Vineet
Old 11th June 2011, 21:53   #10
Senior - BHPian

Please post the details of problems you are facing. Delhi NCR you have lot of options. Check the TBHP directory section for trusted garages.

above list is misleading and expensive. What is a shocker kit. ??

and why do you need one when you are buying the whole assembly.

Also rear gas dampers need to be changed and some rubber bushes and not the whole thing. As springs hardly get damages.
SirAlec is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2011, 12:56   #11

Thanks for your input! The problem I'm facing is basically noises when the car hits a bump, and a creaking sound (sometimes) when I sharply turn my steering at very low or zero speed. That's about it, the car is running very well otherwise!

As for the point on trusted garages, I've only read good stuff about Motorcraft on this forum!
Old 12th June 2011, 17:00   #12
BHPian

You don't exactly require a steering overhaul unless you're losing steering oil. Are you ?
Obviously there's something else wrong but it doesn't require an overhaul in my opinion.
Old 12th June 2011, 21:45   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukrit7 View Post
You don't exactly require a steering overhaul unless you're losing steering oil. Are you ?
Obviously there's something else wrong but it doesn't require an overhaul in my opinion.
Zen does not use hydraulic power steering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSnooper View Post
Thanks for your input! The problem I'm facing is basically noises when the car hits a bump, and a creaking sound (sometimes) when I sharply turn my steering at very low or zero speed. That's about it, the car is running very well otherwise!

As for the point on trusted garages, I've only read good stuff about Motorcraft on this forum!
Check the following.
1. torn boot of driveshaft. i have a thread on it.
2. tie rod ends.
3. tierods

PS: put the car on a cemented plain surface. now vigorously turn right and left and hear carefully and post here the result.
Old 13th June 2011, 03:15   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
... The problem I'm facing is basically noises when the car hits a bump, and a creaking sound (sometimes) when I sharply turn my steering at very low or zero speed. That's about it, the car is running very well otherwise!
Noises when going through potholes indeed point to a suspension overhaul. However, with such an expensive list, I would suggest you to go step by step.

1st change the lower arm, shockers and tie rods. However, considering the cost of the lower arm, and the fact that only the bushes go kaput, and not the whole arm, try sourcing the bush aftermarket, if its possible.

Drive the car and see if the problem persists, and then go on to the rear.

Quote:
Front right shocker: 5906
Front left shocker: 6389
Shocker Kit: 10000
Whats a shocker kit, and why is left shocks 400rs than the right one?. Could you please confirm?
Old 13th June 2011, 03:20   #15
BHPian

SirAlec,
Aren't we talking about a Baleno? Sorry,am I missing something ?

Last edited by sukrit7 : 13th June 2011 at 03:23.

Most Viewed