Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th June 2011, 15:57   #1
BHPian

All 4shock absorbers gone in 1000kms

3months ago i changed all 4shock absorbers of my Accent. I had put Delphi. Since the past few days the drive had become very stiff and there was also some noise from behind as if the tyre is touching somewhere so i went to the mechanic.It was a shock to me when he told me the shocks are gone. It was the rear shock that was making the noise.The car has become so stiff that you can feel each and every pothole while driving. My steering coulmn has also started making noise now. I spoke to the person from where i bought the shocks. He said he will replace them for me. im wondering how is it possible that all 4shocks go at the same time and that too in just 1000kms. Could it be the coil springs? and if its the shocks which brand should i go for? help
Old 9th June 2011, 16:04   #2
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: All 4shock absorbers gone in 1000kms

These shocks seem to be either poor duplicates (for even duplicates would last a lot longer) or cleaned up old shocks (not refurbished / sorted out ones). It is just not possible for a set of new shocks to fail so soon.

However if it is just 1 of the lot of 4 that has gone then that is possible.

Would suggest a change in brand if they are indeed faulty to the original ones that the company provides by default, these would also be available outside in the spares market.

Also do check out the bushes and other suspension components while at it.

The shocks do not give height to the car, they prevent laternal movement in a resonance pattern. So if the height has dropped then someother component in the suspension is also in question. am not exactly sure of the suspension layout in your vehicle so can't comment which one.
ACM is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th June 2011, 16:49   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
These shocks seem to be either poor duplicates (for even duplicates would last a lot longer) or cleaned up old shocks (not refurbished / sorted out ones). It is just not possible for a set of new shocks to fail so soon.

However if it is just 1 of the lot of 4 that has gone then that is possible.

Would suggest a change in brand if they are indeed faulty to the original ones that the company provides by default, these would also be available outside in the spares market.

Also do check out the bushes and other suspension components while at it.

The shocks do not give height to the car, they prevent laternal movement in a resonance pattern. So if the height has dropped then someother component in the suspension is also in question. am not exactly sure of the suspension layout in your vehicle so can't comment which one.
No the height has not dropped down. Can it be the coil springs? ill get a clear picture once i open it up.
Old 9th June 2011, 16:59   #4
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

If the height is fine then it must just be poor quality shocks (which is why the supplier is prepared to replace for free so soon), but do get the bushes and tie rods ends checked when you do get the suspension opened up.
Old 9th June 2011, 19:57   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msupercool View Post
... the drive had become very stiff and there was also some noise from behind ...
Hi,

The shock absorber is a vibration damper, and the function of it is to reduce the 'springy' effect of the suspension. So when one goes kaput, the car will be bouncy and wallowy.. and not stiff.

In this case, remove the shocks and test their action, ie see if they compress. If they do not, then clearly they are inferior quality shocks.

In any other case, ride height should decrease.

Cheers.
Quote:
and if its the shocks which brand should i go for?
Was the Delphi shocks cheaper than OEM?. Why didn't you go with OEM shocks?
Old 9th June 2011, 20:23   #6
Team-BHP Support

My indica has indian company shocks, 2500 for a set of 4 in exchange for old ones... and they are still going good after 30,000kms.
So I guess these could be defective. Did you get the job done from a good suspension shop. Even desi cheapo ones should last very long
Old 9th June 2011, 22:51   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
.... 2500 for a set of 4 in exchange for old ones...
If I interpret it right, doesn't that throw some light on the market for used ones?.
Old 10th June 2011, 00:08   #8
Team-BHP Support

Yes, there is a huge market for used ones. Infact, the seller offered me used shockers for 1000rs with exchange of my broken ones
They somehow repair broken shockers!
Old 10th June 2011, 09:38   #9
Senior - BHPian

msupercool first off from the description you have provided it looks like the dampener/shock absorber is the culprit here.Leave the coil springs for now. The shocks function is pretty simple , it reduces the vertical motion when you drive. When that aint doing its job, you tend to feel every single pebble on road.

How much did these Delphi one's cost you ?
Old 10th June 2011, 10:25   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
3months ago i changed all 4shock absorbers of my Accent. I had put Delphi. Since the past few days the drive had become very stiff and there was also some noise from behind as if the tyre is touching somewhere so i went to the mechanic.It was a shock to me when he told me the shocks are gone. It was the rear shock that was making the noise.The car has become so stiff that you can feel each and every pothole while driving. My steering coulmn has also started making noise now. I spoke to the person from where i bought the shocks. He said he will replace them for me. im wondering how is it possible that all 4shocks go at the same time and that too in just 1000kms. Could it be the coil springs? and if its the shocks which brand should i go for? help
As pointed out by others, shock absorbers are "dampers". Usually there is a chamber with oil and a piston with a hole, which goes up and down. There may or may not be a spring.

1. If there is no oil, then the shock absorbers will be dysfunctional and your car would be jumping around.

2. If there is oil and the hole is blocked, or if the pistons are bent, then the mechanism will be extremely stiff - your case.

Shock absorber repairs were prevalent till around thirty years ago. The mechanics would open them up, change oil, change the oil seals, change the piston seal and you have a refurbished one, that would last at least half the life of a new piece at a fourth the cost.

You seem to have been given a set of damaged pieces. As such I would never trust the seller a second time. Still if you want go back to the seller and get a new set please
- Do visual inspection to see whether they are new
- Check action for damping
- Get a warranty both in time and distance

else treat it as a loss and go for the OEM ones.

Please note that the stiff shock absorbers, would have damaged the suspension. So when you change them this time change/check the following
1. Change all the bushes
2. Check suspension linkages for play. If it is there get the joints replaced/repaired
3. Check the springs for breakage. Sometimes the springs go soft, if so change them.
4. Check the steering for play and get it repaired if so.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2011, 12:19   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
msupercool first off from the description you have provided it looks like the dampener/shock absorber is the culprit here.Leave the coil springs for now. The shocks function is pretty simple , it reduces the vertical motion when you drive. When that aint doing its job, you tend to feel every single pebble on road.

How much did these Delphi one's cost you ?
Delphi costed me 2500 for rear and 3500 for front each. Whereas the OEMs are for somewhere around 4500-5500 each if im not wrong.

Thankyou for all your help guys, Monday im opening up the suspension then lets see what comes up. Will put up a post then and will let u guys know. But im just upset about one thing that i will not be able to get this car for the TeamBHP meet on the 11th.

Last edited by Eddy : 10th June 2011 at 14:37. Reason: Please use the edit / multiquote option instead of posting back to back posts within 30 mins. Thanks.
Old 10th June 2011, 13:58   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Delphi costed me 2500 for rear and 3500 for front each. Whereas the OEMs are for somewhere around 4500-5500 each if im not wrong.
No offense pal, if the difference between the OEM these Delphi's were a mere 1500 or so I would gone with the OEM's. Just my 2 cents.
Old 10th June 2011, 15:08   #13
BANNED

@msupercool; Is it a pre 2006 car/ There was a problem. My Accent (2002) had a similar problem, but on the rear. One of the sets lasted all of 30km. I wrote to CC. There was a prompt response from the dealer - he opened up and did the entire rear end free of charge. That fixed it an I drove the car for over 10,000km after that before selling it.

Last edited by sgiitk : 10th June 2011 at 15:13. Reason: Deleted non-existing link
Old 10th June 2011, 19:15   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@msupercool; Is it a pre 2006 car/ There was a problem. My Accent (2002) had a similar problem, but on the rear. One of the sets lasted all of 30km. I wrote to CC. There was a prompt response from the dealer - he opened up and did the entire rear end free of charge. That fixed it an I drove the car for over 10,000km after that before selling it.
Oh yes it is a 2000 Accent GLS. But could you tell me what the problem was exactly? and what all did u replace then?
Old 10th June 2011, 20:08   #15
BHPian

Its highly unlikely even for Jugaad shocks to kick the bucket so soon. Have a look at the length of the OEM dampers at full extension and full compression and compare with the new ones that have failed. Though highly unlikely I have a feeling the lengths do not match.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks