Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2011, 23:20   #1
BHPian

Help - 2007 Ford Ikon RPM Sensor

Hey Team,
i require help from you all. I have a Ford IKON Flair 1.3 2007 model. Everything is fine and working perfectly. I want to know that what is RPM sensor and what does it do. My mechanic is telling that my car RPM sensor is not working properly, i have problem when i go out and drive for an hour or more and try to slow down in traffic the RPM doesn't stay stable and the car shuts down in traffic, so i have to keep on accelarating the car to keep it alive. My mechanic is telling that it is because for the RPM sensor. IS it true?
Old 12th June 2011, 11:47   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Help - 2007 Ford Ikon RPM Sensor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakowli View Post
... have problem when i go out and drive for an hour or more and try to slow down in traffic the RPM doesn't stay stable and the car shuts down in traffic
For erratic idling, the issues might be:
  • Ignition coil
  • Spark plug.
  • Clean throttle body.
  • Clean the MAF sensor
  • Fuel pump.
Please check the above in the order listed.

Honestly, I do not know if there is any other rpm sensor other than the one connected to the tacho. Is the tacho working fine?. May be the mech means the ECU cannot sense the rpm?, if so an OBD device should definitely show that. Please check with it. A.S.S offers free diagnosis.

Last edited by dhanushs : 12th June 2011 at 11:49.
Old 12th June 2011, 16:02   #3
BHPian

Ok thanks i will check that. But this problem is not when i start the car or for a short drive. the problem is only when i go for a long drive and get stuck in traffic. even the pick-up has reduced.
Old 12th June 2011, 19:56   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakowli View Post
.... the problem is only when i go for a long drive and get stuck in traffic....
With iKON's known ignition coil problems, that would be the 1st place I would look for.
Old 12th June 2011, 21:55   #5
Senior - BHPian

sensor's hardly fail under normal conditions. Please check what dhanushs has recommended. in addition to that check the air filter.
Old 12th June 2011, 22:25   #6
BHPian

Its also called crank position sensor. If it fails the car wont even start. If the gap between sensor pick up and the crank gear is more it will have hot start problem.
Old 13th June 2011, 12:54   #7
BHPian

I don't have any starting problem. So i doubt i should have a look at Air Fliter and ignition coil also as per your advice. i will definately do that.
Old 13th June 2011, 13:08   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

If the rev counter is showing correct revs, ie, going up when accelarating, and fluctuating under 1000rpm at idle(showing basically the correct revs), then the RPM sensor bit is hogwash, if such such a sensor exists independently.
Take a look at this, it will help you understand and identify:
How to Fix a Car That Stalls - wikiHow
Old 14th June 2011, 22:12   #9
Senior - BHPian

I can't really help you but my suggestion is to take the car to the best Ford service center you have in Bombay.

I faced the exact same problem with my 11 year old Ikon 1.6. It took a good long drive for me to re produce the problem as it would never occur whenever I took the car to them. A lot of fuel was wasted but I finally have the problem sorted.

My car behaved the exact same way as what you are experiencing. My engine never died but the rpm would hang and then drop suddenly to very low levels that you may think that the engine is about to shut off. This was taking place in very difficult to drive conditions, meaning heavy traffic where you keep using the clutch to deal with stop and go situations. The problem is more pronounced when the air conditioner is used. It took a couple of visits for Ford to sort this problem out for me. They had the car with them for a good 4 days cause they were struggling to find out what was wrong. The scanner showed no errors or any faulty part. Ford fixed my car but I have not really understood what they have done though it was explained to me. What I do notice now is there is a relay click as soon as you release the clutch pedal. You won't hear it with the windows rolled down. There is some relay provided for the clutch to interact with the ecu on its usage so it can keep the engine revs steady and not drop way too low.

I am not sure if a FNG has the ability to know the various sensors on modern cars. Some do but not all of them.

Ford charged only labor to fix this problem. Its probably because I wrote to Ford India telling them I had made 3 visits to the service center for the very same problem and they could not solve it. From the little I know, no part was changed or added as they normally return faulty parts to the customer. This is the practice Metro ford follow down south.
Old 14th June 2011, 22:18   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
There is some relay provided for the clutch to interact with the ecu on its usage so it can keep the engine revs steady and not drop way too low.

Ford charged only labor to fix this problem....
... From the little I know, no part was changed or added as they normally return faulty parts to the customer. This is the practice Metro ford follow down south.
I'm confused. Can you please post the details of parts changed, if you have it?. (bill?). Or can you please recollect the parts changed?. And what was the final amount you had to pay?
Old 15th June 2011, 07:56   #11
Senior - BHPian

No parts were changed. I do have a bill. There is only labor charge of about Rs. 2700. There is no mention of any part that was changed. I clearly recall not hearing any click noise when the clutch is released before the problem was addressed. Its the same sort of relay click you hear when you turn on the headlights, air conditioner.
Old 15th June 2011, 08:29   #12
Senior - BHPian

@rakowli, does the engine temperature increase when you are facing this difficulty?
I had this issue in mine and it was over heating engine... if that is the case then, engine coolant running low, (what is the colour of the radiator water in yours? murky/clear/pink/green/pale?) clogged radiator due to dust accumulation. mine was diagnosed as the oil from the sump not reaching the cam heads resulting in excessive frinction> heat > wear > changed cam shaft :( oil sump has a strainer inside that clogged caused the issue.

prevention better than cure. please look out.

Last edited by govigov : 15th June 2011 at 08:31.
Old 15th June 2011, 20:21   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
No parts were changed. I do have a bill. There is only labor charge of about Rs. 2700. There is no mention of any part that was changed. I clearly recall not hearing any click noise when the clutch is released before the problem was addressed. Its the same sort of relay click you hear when you turn on the headlights, air conditioner.
Rs.2700/- for Labour?
Are you sure no parts were replaced?

How can they charge so much just for diagnosing and rectifying the problem without replacing any part?

They must have changed some part but are not telling you.
I guess the part which went kaput should not be costing even 25% of the bill.

Edited:
@ rakowli..
Please check the gap and condition of Spark Plugs.
Also check if the Fuel is not adulterated.
And also get the Air Filter cleaned.

Last edited by IndigoXLGrandDi : 15th June 2011 at 20:23.
Old 16th June 2011, 15:28   #14
BHPian

Yaa sure i will get that all checked
Old 17th June 2011, 14:52   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoXLGrandDi View Post
Rs.2700/- for Labour?
Are you sure no parts were replaced?

How can they charge so much just for diagnosing and rectifying the problem without replacing any part?
Well I can't tell. It is quite possible that some part was replaced and they never told me about it.

I was frustrated with the problem cause I had made a couple of visits to them to fix this and even wrote to Ford India. I was happy when I got the car back and could not care less about the cost. At the end, the problem has been fixed and the car has been running great for the last few months.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks