Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th June 2011, 19:13   #1

Too many problems with my '08 Fiat Palio Stile. And now, engine seized at 25K kms!!

Dear All,

Good day, My name is Navendu Singh I purchased a Fiat Stile SDX in June 2008. From the date of purchase of the vehicle till date the vehicle has had many componenets failures some as many as thrice the list is as below.

1) Clutch changed Thrice
2) Air Conditioner ( Once )
3) Steering Pump ( Twice )
4) Steering Column Assembly and sundry other components involved in the assembly ( once )
5) From both tyres ( Once )
6) Main Fan (Once)
7) Coolant Tank Pipe Leakage Once
8) Base plate ( Twice approximately )
9) Sundry electronics Components
10 ) Bush Cradle etc (Once)

This is an approximate list of components that have failed.

Finally in March this year as the vehicle started belching smoke I gave the car to Concorde Service Center in chennai and after approximately two weeks was informed that the engine has ceased. The mileage read 26400 kms. approximately when it was submitted.

As you will see from the above list that the car is inherently defective , unusable and unreliable.

At this point seeing no alternative I have had to sent a legal notice to FIAT your organizations, the gist of the notice is to either replace the car with a new car or refund the money paid by me for the purchase and refund the costs incurred by me.

There are some things that I am realizing over a period of time. FIAT really doesn't care what happens to their customers. I have communicated from the very top to the bottom of the ladder but eventually seeing no response. I shall have to go the legal way.

Today the situation is I have no car, no money to buy another car and a seething sense of outrage.

What is jarring is the complete silence from FIAT. Customer service is not what you do when all is well it is what you do when things are falling apart.

I shall keep the thread updated as and when I chug along.

I welcome advice on how to handle the case in court both effectively and economically and any other piece of advice that could come in handy.

Thank you.
coreolis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2011, 09:53   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

re: Too many problems with my '08 Fiat Palio Stile. And now, engine seized at 25K kms!!

Sorry to hear about the issues. You have obviously been sold a lemon. First things first, can you check the manufacturing date of your car and confirm? Fiat dealers were notorious for selling old stock Palios (some over a year old) as these cars never really moved off showroom floors. Here is a thread that will help you in deciphering the manufacturing month / year.

From your list of defects, the really serious ones are:
Air-conditioner (changed what? Compressor?)
Power steering pump
Steering column assembly
Radiator fan

And finally, the engine seizing! All of this in barely 25,000 clicks!! Had you gotten the car serviced as per schedule? Did the engine seize because of lack of cooling?

If I were in your place, I would accept NOTHING less than a brand new car. Here is a detailed article on what to do if you end up with a lemon. My first suggestion to you is to try and work things out with Fiat. See if a resolution can be arrived at. Fiat frequently browses Team-BHP and this thread will definitely get their attention.

Good luck, and do keep us updated.

Last edited by GTO : 16th June 2011 at 09:57.
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th June 2011, 11:37   #3
BHPian

Re: Too many problems with my '08 Fiat Palio Stile. And now, engine seized at 25K kms

I emphathise with your situation.
As GTO has recommended, try to reach a compromise with FIAT. The legal route will be long and expensive. Lawyer will charge you per appearance in court and until 3 years, the only progress will be "new dates". One thing that will work against you is: you have used the car for 2+ years and its warranty is over. Did you have all repairs and services done at FIAT authorized service stations? Do you have copies of invoices and job cards? If the answer to these questions is yes, there is some hope.
Old 16th June 2011, 11:57   #4
Senior - BHPian

Re: Too many problems with my '08 Fiat Palio Stile. And now, engine seized at 25K kms

Kindly also post the bills/reports here for public so that it will build the case here & further shame Fiat.
Old 16th June 2011, 19:27   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreolis View Post

Today the situation is I have no car, no money to buy another car and a seething sense of outrage.

I shall keep the thread updated as and when I chug along.
Dude! dont be sorry for your situation today:
You have not lost anything. [Its only a car, an old one and that too a Fiat which had troubled you all these days]
Actually, wear a smile that you got rid of this car and gear up to fight the elements.
Old 16th June 2011, 20:04   #6
Senior - BHPian

This is an example of how the dealer and auto companies use the non existence of any lemon law in the country.
coreolis - nothing lesser than a new car or your initial money + interest should be your stand.
Old 16th June 2011, 20:28   #7
BHPian

Very sorry to hear that. As others said going the legal way might get you more heartburn (given the reputation of our Indian judicial system)

Get all your papers ready and demand nothing less than a new car. Let a local daily to know about this; they will be more than happy to take it. The more recognition the issue gets, more are the chances for FIAT doing something.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 16th June 2011, 20:50   #8

FIAT has not responded to to legal notice I wrote straight away to the MD Rajeev Kapoor. I have tried every avenue to sit down with someone from FIAT and sort the matter. I have no choice but to go to the consumer courts.

If the CEO of the Company chooses he can solve the matter in a few minutes and this is no joke the car has been going more to FIAT than it has stayed with me.

I think the compressor was changed. Though I have bills for every little thing. All service has been done from Tata and accident claims have also been done by Tata itself. I have followed the service schedule religiously.

I have some hope in the courts.
Old 19th June 2011, 13:13   #9
GTO
Team-BHP Support

You're going to have to be more proactive, Coreolis. Did you check the manufacturing month / year of your car as I'd suggested 3 days back?
Old 19th June 2011, 19:53   #10
BHPian

Quote:

I think the compressor was changed. Though I have bills for every little thing. All service has been done from Tata and accident claims have also been done by Tata itself. I have followed the service schedule religiously.

I have some hope in the courts.
Was the car involved in an accident? Could you provide more details?

The engine seizing is a serious event, but it gives warnings before occurring. The coolant temperature and the oil pressure warning lights give indication of rising temperature and low oil circulation. Did any of those happen before?
Old 19th June 2011, 20:05   #11
BHPian

The engine might have siezed because of faulty fan or shoddy workmaship, when the fan was replaced.

And how did you manage to wear out three clutches in 25k kilometers?
Old 19th June 2011, 20:14   #12
Senior - BHPian

As GTO told first check the manufacturing year. If the car is much older than the delivery period, I think your half the problem gets solved.
And, in between you have mentioned about some accident repairs. How severe where the damages and whether that has any connection with AC, tyre wear etc. Kindly elaborate.

Last edited by rajeev k : 19th June 2011 at 20:16.
Old 19th June 2011, 20:23   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
1) Clutch changed Thrice
No offense, Clutch life depends on driving style.
3) Steering Pump ( Twice )
4) Steering Column Assembly and sundry other components involved in the assembly ( once )
5) From both tyres ( Once )
3,4 & 5 - Wheel alignment issue can end up in these failures
6) Main Fan (Once)
Radiator Fan?
7) Coolant Tank Pipe Leakage Once
6 & 7 are the culprits behind engine seizure, I suppose
Sorry to hear about the issues dear.
I have given the possibilities of each failure in Bold.

My suggestion - Legal way may be right & safe but I doubt that could solve the issue in time.
Old 19th June 2011, 22:00   #14

HI guys

I have been taken ill suddenly give me a couple of days to get back on my feet, will start updating.

Thank you.
Old 19th June 2011, 22:04   #15
BANNED

legal is only way, though it takes time and money, but worth it, it will surely damage reputation of any car manufacturer, so they may come for compromise, but i doubt fiat. they think that customers are lazy enough, so they will stop the process once they sent legal notice. They take advantage of indian legal system.

dont lose hope, if direct communication does not work, only thing is legal. no other option, they did not provide car free of cost, so we have right to fight.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks