Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th June 2011, 01:11   #1
Senior - BHPian

Swift LDI - Rear windshield judder

Hello everyone,

I have been noticing a problem that is happening on my Swift LDI. At low speeds if the gear is not changed in time there is judder that is coming from the rear windshield. What could be the cause for this ? I would like to know from other Swift Diesel Owners if they are facing the same problem or not.

Hope to get a feedback from everyone.

Regards

Indrojit Sircar
Old 16th June 2011, 01:37   #2
BHPian

Re: Swift LDI - Rear windshield judder

Is there any history of damage / denting at the rear that was fixed? How old is your Swift?
Most of the hatchbacks have their rear windshield pasted with adhesive (no rubber beading). It can be removed, cleaned and repasted within an hour but it takes longer for the adhesive to dry completely.
Old 16th June 2011, 01:40   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
Is there any history of damage / denting at the rear that was fixed? How old is your Swift?
Most of the hatchbacks have their rear windshield pasted with adhesive (no rubber beading). It can be removed, cleaned and repasted within an hour but it takes longer for the adhesive to dry completely.
Well the car had got a hit on the left corner of the rear bumper. No damage to the Boot Lid/hatch. Yes i know but what could be the reason for this? Car is going to be 2 years old at the end of this month.
Old 16th June 2011, 02:12   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndrojitSircar View Post
....what could be the reason for this?.....
Sorry to say this, might be a LEMON
To my knowledge it may be due to improper sealing / fixing, which doesn't show off when the car is new. Starts gradually with the ages.

I came across the similar situation on Test drive vehicle (Wagon-R). SE told me that some one slammed the boot very fast (read verrrrrrry faaaast) and the problem started after that. Also he added, that could be corrected by removing & re fixing the windshield.
Old 16th June 2011, 02:15   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Boss View Post
Sorry to say this, might be a LEMON
To my knowledge it may be due to improper sealing / fixing, which doesn't show off when the car is new. Starts gradually with the ages.

I came across the similar situation on Test drive vehicle (Wagon-R). SE told me that some one slammed the boot very fast (read verrrrrrry faaaast) and the problem started after that. Also he added, that could be corrected by removing & re fixing the windshield.
Sorry but what do you mean it might be a LEMON ? Well it is possible that the boot was slammed by my Ex- driver or car cleaner.
Old 16th June 2011, 02:31   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Sorry but what do you mean it might be a LEMON ? Well it is possible that the boot was slammed by my Ex- driver or car cleaner.
Lemon - the faulty one / the one with some problem.
I don't think that slamming the boot could make such problems, unless it was slammed very hard.

Normally OEMs do test on boot & door operation with various operating forces & speed (generally with a test rig for thousands of cycles)
Old 16th June 2011, 02:50   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Boss View Post
Lemon - the faulty one / the one with some problem.
I don't think that slamming the boot could make such problems, unless it was slammed very hard.

Normally OEMs do test on boot & door operation with various operating forces & speed (generally with a test rig for thousands of cycles)
Could be either it was slammed really hard or a defect in the adhesive. Not a major problem.
Old 16th June 2011, 17:39   #8
BHPian

I own a SWIFT Ldi which is approx. 2yrs old now. I never faced this issue. How old is your car?
Old 16th June 2011, 18:15   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselLover View Post
I own a SWIFT Ldi which is approx. 2yrs old now. I never faced this issue. How old is your car?
Car will be 2 years old at the end of this month.
Old 19th June 2011, 01:10   #10
BHPian

It might most probably be the parcel-tray. The fibre version of the parcel-tray is known to rattle. Try removing the parcel-tray and driving it around. If this is the problem, replacing the fibre parcel-tray with its plywood counterpart is the best solution. The plywood parcel-tray will be available at any accessories shop.
Also check out for lose spoiler or the interior plastics. Keep us updated.
Old 19th June 2011, 02:28   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Could be either it was slammed really hard or a defect in the adhesive. Not a major problem.
May be your bumper is looses and the mud flaps, if installed hits the tyre. I have seen this in N number of swifts, including ours. Worth checking. I am guessing this because you said the car was hit sometime back from left corner. May be the bumper has not been tightened properly..Dont know but I think its this problem only..
Old 19th June 2011, 07:00   #12
Senior - BHPian

Do you have a sub woofer in the boot?
Old 19th June 2011, 22:15   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas Ingle View Post
It might most probably be the parcel-tray. The fibre version of the parcel-tray is known to rattle. Try removing the parcel-tray and driving it around. If this is the problem, replacing the fibre parcel-tray with its plywood counterpart is the best solution. The plywood parcel-tray will be available at any accessories shop.
Also check out for lose spoiler or the interior plastics. Keep us updated.
Hi,

The swift LDI does not come with the parcel tray. It comes with only the mounting brackets on the two sides. So that's ruled out.
My car does not have a spoiler also. I have checked other plastic panels inside. Its definitely the windshield, because two days back i got someone else to drive the car while i was sitting at the back and i had my hand on the rear windshield and i could feel the judder with my hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_chopra04 View Post
May be your bumper is looses and the mud flaps, if installed hits the tyre. I have seen this in N number of swifts, including ours. Worth checking. I am guessing this because you said the car was hit sometime back from left corner. May be the bumper has not been tightened properly..Dont know but I think its this problem only..
Hi,

That was the first thing that i checked. The noise that comes from a glass juddering is way different from when the mudflap hits the the tyre or the bumper is loose. Please read my reply that i have given a few lines above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
Do you have a sub woofer in the boot?
No i don't have a sub woofer installed in my car. I have two JBL round speakers installed in the front doors. I do plan an Amp and a Base tube very soon.
Old 20th June 2011, 11:40   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

The swift LDI does not come with the parcel tray. It comes with only the mounting brackets on the two sides. So that's ruled out.
My car does not have a spoiler also. I have checked other plastic panels inside. Its definitely the windshield, because two days back i got someone else to drive the car while i was sitting at the back and i had my hand on the rear windshield and i could feel the judder with my hand.
Then, just to rule out one more possibility, check if the dicky lock is lose and if the judder is felt in the entire dicky lid. If that is not the case then Repasting the rear windshield is the only solution I suppose.
Old 20th June 2011, 15:42   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas Ingle View Post
Then, just to rule out one more possibility, check if the dicky lock is lose and if the judder is felt in the entire dicky lid. If that is not the case then Repasting the rear windshield is the only solution I suppose.
I don't think i'm that dumb to not have checked if the whole boot rattling or not. Its definitely the rear windshield that is juddering. I will get it looked in to soon.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks