Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th June 2011, 10:48   #1

Hyundai Getz - Drive Shaft Boot issue - Advice Needed

Hi,

Pardon me if there is already a thread on this, I searched but nothing very relavant popped up.

I have a Hyundai Getz 2005 Petrol model, which already ran 56K Kms+. I was getting a rattling noise when I take sharp left or right turns, so I deduced it to be a problem with the drive shaft boot, so went to the Trident Hyundai on Hosur Road to check it up.. The SA had a small drive and declared that its issue with the boots and suggested I change the whole drive shaft, which would cost around 10K exluding labor.

I told him I have to pop the question in tbhp and take advice and then only change and insisted on any other solution and its price. He quickly changed track and said I can for now go ahead and do the change of Joints instead of the whole drive shaft. So my question is.. what should I change?

Should I go ahead and just do joint change and I wont see this problem for a good amount of time.. or should I do the complete drive shaft change?

Costs
------
RH Front drive shaft wheel side joint - Rs 1900 + 350 labor + Tax (Part number 495030B011)
LH Front drive shaft wheel side joint - Rs 1780 + 350 labor + Tax (Part number 495030B001)

OR

Total drive shaft change - Rs 8000 + 500 labour charge + Tax

Is the cost which he quoted reasonable? Are there any good independant garages which can do this task at a lower rate?

I can spend this much money for sure, but dont want to get fleeced. So please advice.
Old 16th June 2011, 13:38   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Hyundai Getz - Drive Shaft Boot issue - Advice Needed

Hi iikish,

Change the CV joints, and the drive shaft boot(~200 bucks). The problem should be resolved.

Also, after which, please ensure the driveshaft boot is in prime condition at every service, if worn out, change. It should cost only ~200bucks, but will save you hard earned $$$.

P.S - I'm assuming a tak-tak-tak sound comes on full steering?
Old 16th June 2011, 14:40   #3
Senior - BHPian

@iikish, first ask them what is making noise and why to replace both side parts? Does this noise come while turning to only one side or both sides ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post

Change the CV joints,
Which one?

Spike
Old 16th June 2011, 14:47   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Which one?
Quote:
Originally Posted by iikish View Post
... when I take sharp left or right turns...
Hence I presume both need to be changed.
Old 16th June 2011, 18:35   #5

Thanks folks for the suggestions..
Yes.. it comes on both sides.. and only on full left or right turns.

So I should get the boots changed every service? Does my driving style decide the life of the boots?
Old 16th June 2011, 20:34   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Hence I presume both need to be changed.
No, I asked whether inboard or outboard ones?

Quote:
Originally Posted by iikish View Post
So I should get the boots changed every service?
No, just keep an eye on them, check them every service for grease leaks, worn boots etc.

Quote:
Does my driving style decide the life of the boots?
Not necessarily.

Spike
Old 16th June 2011, 21:15   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
No, I asked whether inboard or outboard ones?
It should be outboard ones.
Old 17th June 2011, 14:29   #8

How do I check if its inboard or outboard ones which has issue? Sorry for the dumb questions, I am new to these parts
Old 18th March 2015, 15:18   #9

I have a Getz CRDI and the service adviser from hyundai told me that my left drive shaft wheel side (outer) boot was not OK. He said that The outer boot is not replaceable and only way for me is to get a new drive shaft. I am not ready to believe him. Additionally he is saying that cost for Getz CRDI drive shaft is Rs. 21k LH side. Please someone with experience of this problem suggest me what to do.
Old 19th March 2015, 13:01   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedogod View Post
I have a Getz CRDI and the service adviser from hyundai told me that my left drive shaft wheel side (outer) boot was not OK. He said that The outer boot is not replaceable and only way for me is to get a new drive shaft. I am not ready to believe him. Additionally he is saying that cost for Getz CRDI drive shaft is Rs. 21k LH side. Please someone with experience of this problem suggest me what to do.
Does your car make any noise while taking a turn on full lock?
if not your in luck and just get the boot replaced.

The driveshaft boots are indeed replaceable, but the issue is the non availability of genuine replacement kits but kits from other brands are easily available. Most ASCs don't do the replacement as it is labor intensive and they only make a few hundred rupees as parts costs and then there's the labor which cannot be more than 500 - 700. replacing a boot by a good mechanic take about an hour for two joints, that is after getting the wheel and shaft out of the car, but replacing the full shaft is like a 15 minute job.

Another risk they tend to avoid is the success rate of the job because if the boot has been cracked or torn for a long period and grit and dust has got in the CV join,t it would have damaged the bearing that will turn out to become noisy with the Khat-Khat sound and a disappointed customer.

My suggestion is to go to a decent garage and get an opinion about the boot replacement and get it done if you find the place competent.
msaudf is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2015, 14:30   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by msaudf View Post
Does your car make any noise while taking a turn on full lock?
=============
My suggestion is to go to a decent garage and get an opinion about the boot replacement and get it done if you find the place competent.
No, I don't have any noise when turning on full lock. But I do get a "thud" sometimes when my clutch release is not smooth (In more aggressive gear shifts). Also there is a very slight wobble during acceleration that nobody apart from me notices, which may be attributed to a worn CV joint.

One more observation I have made is that in high speed braking sometimes when I don't depress the clutch there is a slight wobble. Can this be because of drive shaft too?
Old 19th March 2015, 15:29   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedogod View Post
No, I don't have any noise when turning on full lock. But I do get a "thud" sometimes when my clutch release is not smooth (In more aggressive gear shifts). Also there is a very slight wobble during acceleration that nobody apart from me notices, which may be attributed to a worn CV joint.

One more observation I have made is that in high speed braking sometimes when I don't depress the clutch there is a slight wobble. Can this be because of drive shaft too?
is it a wobble or a mild jerk? A worn CV joint in my opinion could not cause a wobble, it is very unlikely of the CV joint to cause such an issue. I suspect a slight slippage of the clutch. The Hyundai's 1.5 CRDi is a torquey engine and it could be the torque overpowering the grip of the clutch plate. Another possibility is that one or all of the Transmission mounts are worn and a little too hard and you are just feeling the engine movement which is transmitting as a wobble or jerk. The thud sound you mentioned can be linked up to the wobble during acceleration and braking when the drive-train is connected.
I wouldn't worry if it is consistent and not worsening by the day, and for that matter hardly noticeable by anyone else except you.
You've probably got so attached to the car, that it is actually an extension of yourself when you drive it on the road. Happens to all true petroheads, we feel even the slightest of the difference of if something is out of place when it comes to our beloved cars.
msaudf is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2015, 16:14   #13
Team-BHP Support

Goto an independent mech and check if the boot is cut or not. If it is cut get a boot (should be available in open market) and replace the same. But if the boot is cut and damage has happened to the CV joints (ie sound started), then you will have to replace the same.

In BLR hyundai parts are available outside and almost at 50% cost compared to dealer. They are mostly Korean ones and offer 1 year warranty. I had fixed one such for the santro automatic. 7.5k Vs 23k for OE.
Jaggu is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks