Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th February 2006, 12:52   #1
BANNED

Changing the Timing Belt .. ??

Hey, Yesterday after going thru the manual of my Palio by mistake I noticed that they have stated that the timing belt shud be replaced at 60K !! I wanna ask all the Palio owners if they are aware of this ... also why does Fiat have this recomendation and not other manufacturers or do they all have it ??

Anyways went straight to the Fiat workshop ( i hate going there ) and asked them and they said it HAS to be replaced or else it could snap and do a lot of other damage as well. So I asked him how to much for changing the timing belt and also the clutch plates as I feel they r pretty finished and they said about 10K ... as I don't trust them too much is that a gud enough figure or does it seem high ?? Will have to get it done in a day or two so any feed back on this wud be highly appreciated !!

One last thing .. for the clutch plates should I put the ones by the dealer or can I get some other good ones in the open market ??

Cheers

Last edited by khaadu75 : 5th February 2006 at 12:54.
Old 5th February 2006, 13:31   #2
BANNED

Hi Khaadu,

Firstly it is advisable for you to change the timing belt. As far as the cost goes I think if you do it from a reputed garage outside the total job should not cost more than 6-7K including labour.(clutch&pressure plate+release bearing+timing belt+tensioner)

You can get the OE clutch plates cheaper in the market. Valeo is also a good make.

Viper
Old 5th February 2006, 13:47   #3
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper
Hi Khaadu,

Firstly it is advisable for you to change the timing belt. As far as the cost goes I think if you do it from a reputed garage outside the total job should not cost more than 6-7K including labour.(clutch&pressure plate+release bearing+timing belt+tensioner)

You can get the OE clutch plates cheaper in the market. Valeo is also a good make.

Viper
Viper, Thanx mate !! Any idea about the timing belt, I mean will I get that as well in the open market or will I have to get it from the company ?

Cheers
Old 5th February 2006, 15:04   #4
BANNED

Hey,

You can get all the spares cheaper in the market. Only buy from someone reliable so that you dont get stuck with fakes.

Viper
Old 5th February 2006, 17:13   #5
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaadu75
also why does Fiat have this recomendation and not other manufacturers or do they all have it ??
Maruti says 1 lakh Kms.
Old 5th February 2006, 19:38   #6
BHPian

Spare parts not always cheaper in the open market.

Please note that the cost of the air filter assembly for the Palio GTX at the FIAT service centre is Rs698/- only inclusive of the new filter which comes fitted into the assembly. The same assembly in the open market in COCHIN in four different shops are between Rs1800/- and Rs1920/-. I have enquired in all the reputed shops in cochin which keep a stock of Palio spares. I had to buy two assemblies because of my own fault resulting in backfire and destruction of the airbox when using LPG gas. It happened on two occassions when I was not very comfortable with the auto changeover switch to LPG gas. Majority of the original fiat parts are atleast 60 percent more expensive in the open market atleast in COCHIN. Bye and wear your seatbelts.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks