Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th July 2010, 21:29   #61
BHPian

Well, after having owned 4 Sedans and 2 Hatchbacks, All I can say is I prefer a sedan over a hatchback, although my Hatchbacks are serving me well, Reasons are as below

Fuel Efficiency -

1. Esteem gave 16-17 KMPL with 100% AC.
2. NHC gave 15-16 KMPL with 100% AC.
3. Corolla Altis gives 13-14 KMPL with 100% AC.
4. Accent gives 12-13 KMPL in Bangalore Traffic.
5. WagonR gives around 12 KMPL with 100% AC.
6. i10 gives around 13 KMPL with 100% AC.

Space/Practicality -

1. A Sedan offers more space than a Hatchback although at times while hauling luggage, I prefered WagonR over all others.
2. After driving around for almost 10 years in various cities across India, I have never felt short on space while trying to park a sedan. Remember if you say that your hatchback is almost as big as your sedan, then the parking space factor is just nugged out, its only the boot later that's out, but with experience, you would be able to overcome this minor niggle as well. I never faced parking issues with any of my cars even in places like Chandni Chowk in Delhi (Perhaps One of the most crowded places).
3. BOOT is one of the major positives for me, We have a typical Indian family who likes to take a lot of things over a vacation (whether neccesary or useless, doesn't matter) and our outstation travel frequency is high (more than 12 times a year).
4. At times we have even travelled with 4 persons on the rear bench (I know it is not safe but there was no choice). I dont think a Hatchback can offer this flexibility.

Well, I could have easily gone for an Innova at the price of an Altis, but with Innova, boot space would have been sacrificed although I would have gained to seat 2 more persons than in the Sedan. Probably Boot Space is one of the major factors keeping me away from Hatchbacks/MUVs. Also, if you see my Fuel Avg figures, sedans have fared better.

In the last, I would also agree to others that Yes, you surely get more respect in a Sedan than in a Hatchback even if the Hatchback is more costlier than the Sedan. Agreed that it is more because of the mentality, but remember its only the true petrolheads that do not warrant for such lame excuses, for the common man, A Sedan is better than a Hatchback, e.g.: Premium Hatchback Jazz has no takers although a lot of people agree that it is a much better car than some of the sedans available currently in the market, i20 although better than DZire is not able to outsell it,

P.S. - All the above are just my views.

Last edited by shantanumishra : 27th July 2010 at 21:31.
Old 28th July 2010, 07:51   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hashim View Post
Super cars and rally cars have suspension so advance that they cost about the price of a new car in India. So they are a different story all together. Rally cars almost fly over uneven roads and land without breaking anything. Even esteem was popular as rally car but not with stock suspension and without roll cage. We are talking of road cars. As I was talking about handling, think of making a fast corner in any modern hatch like i20, vista, WagonR, spark and take even any old sedan like esteem. Decide yourself which handles better
C'mon man !
Try taking a hairpin (U bend less than 12 meters wide) at 100 Kms in Esteem it will burn all its rubber. While i20 or spark would be breeze and even vista will do decently.

Cheers
Old 28th July 2010, 10:20   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick1977 View Post
Well, I could have easily gone for an Innova at the price of an Altis, but with Innova, boot space would have been sacrificed although I would have gained to seat 2 more persons than in the Sedan. Probably Boot Space is one of the major factors keeping me away from Hatchbacks/MUVs. Also, if you see my Fuel Avg figures, sedans have fared better.
All the points you have made in your post are quite valid except the above
You can split and fold last row in innova to give you bigger boot space then in any sedan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanagg1 View Post
C'mon man !
Try taking a hairpin (U bend less than 12 meters wide) at 100 Kms in Esteem it will burn all its rubber. While i20 or spark would be breeze and even vista will do decently.

Cheers
Really have you or anyone personally tried this stunt of taking hair pin turn of 6M radius ( 12 M wide that is diameter in cars with turning radius between 4.5m ( spark) and 5.4m ( i20) at 100 km/hr ?
Old 28th July 2010, 21:12   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Really have you or anyone personally tried this stunt of taking hair pin turn of 6M radius ( 12 M wide that is diameter in cars with turning radius between 4.5m ( spark) and 5.4m ( i20) at 100 km/hr ?
@amitk26
I am just trying to make point that in such situation where sharp turn are taken (better handling issues hatches v/s sedans) sedans can not out shine hatchbacks just like that

cheers
Old 28th July 2010, 21:30   #65
BHPian

Quote:
@amitk26
I am just trying to make point that in such situation where sharp turn are taken (better handling issues hatches v/s sedans) sedans can not out shine hatchbacks just like that

cheers
Exactly the reason for which the people in hills opt for hatchbacks!
Old 28th July 2010, 21:36   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteKnight View Post
And then you say this below?

Aren't you contradicting yourself? How is a wider car with longer wheelbase becomes easier to use in the city?

hmmm well spotted!

Contradicting, Not really - my priority has been parking, and ease of use was in a general sense, again with a lot of weightage on better parking options wherever one goes in the city. Oh and U turns are easier too in general.

I dont cut lanes and squeeze between vehicles a lot, for which a narrower car with short wheelbase will have a much higher advantage definitely.
Old 28th July 2010, 23:04   #67
Senior - BHPian

When you have 4 and more people in the car and no space for luggage then you go for a sedan. If you are 2 people and lots of luggage then you fold the rear seats go for a hatch. This is one of the parameters.
Old 29th July 2010, 12:05   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@amitk26

cheers
Well Let me reiterate the example used here to make the point is a gross exaggeration , We need to honestly ask how big is the difference in handling capability. Does the difference really becomes that big by just addition of boot keeping other things constant ?
So the point I am trying to make is one can not compare apples and oranges. If you mean that there is a big deal of handling difference between Swift and Dezire or Indica and Indigo then it makes sense otherwise not.

Or if the handling comparison is of two entirely different cars then how about comparing handling of some low slung ground hugging sedan with a tallboy hatch like Wagon R or Santro ?

Another point people here keep on asking here is "how many times boot is used" on the same lines one may ask "how many times this handling capability is used? "

What is the big need to take sharp turns at high speed ?

For the record i drive neither a sedan nor a hatch but a high GC vehicle from which handling capacity is not expected still till now I did not find reason good enough in practical scenarios to put handling capability to test.

Last edited by amitk26 : 29th July 2010 at 12:07.
Old 29th July 2010, 15:49   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Or if the handling comparison is of two entirely different cars then how about comparing handling of some low slung ground hugging sedan with a tallboy hatch like Wagon R or Santro ?

What is the big need to take sharp turns at high speed ?
The comparison made was Esteem v/s i20/Spark/vista (Please refer my post#53) for handling issues.
I fully agree with you on "What is the big need to take sharp turns at high speed ? but fellow mate was telling sedans are better in handling situations, so tried giving him a different perspective to see.

cheers
Old 30th July 2010, 01:24   #70
Distinguished - BHPian

Today, I observed a strange thing while driving my friends i10 and another of my friends Indica(Went to a marriage, so had to park these cars including mine).

When I was taking a 'U' turn after a divider, I thought that the i10 would handle it in one turn but then, it surprised me and I had to take engage reverse and try again. Well, the Indica was even worse.

These were/are the places where my IKON would simply handle it, without any need for trying it twice.

Now, I'm not sure if the cars had problems with steering mechanism's or something, but if the car's were fine, its too bad that a 'shorter' i10 & an indica (hatch) cant turn as good as the 'longer' IKON (sedan).. Well, turning radius IS an important factor

P.S- I though it would add some flavor If shared this bit of my experience in this thread.
Old 30th July 2010, 02:39   #71
BHPian

Well , if a person has had a Hatchback for sure he would like to try sedan as well. That was the reason why i bought an Accent after selling my Palio 1.9 D. Though i am not disappointed with my decision however, I would still go for a hatchback at any given day over sedan.
The reasons are;
Better FE.
Easy to maintain.
Easy to park.
Equipments are better after i20 and Jazz.
Value for money.

For out ICE fans, Music sounds better in any hatch as the bass from SUB travels easily into the cabin.
Old 31st July 2010, 08:16   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
When I was taking a 'U' turn after a divider, I thought that the i10 would handle it in one turn but then, it surprised me and I had to take engage reverse and try again. Well, the Indica was even worse.

These were/are the places where my IKON would simply handle it, without any need for trying it twice.

P.S- I though it would add some flavor If shared this bit of my experience in this thread.
To set the records straight

IKON Turning Radius 5.0 mts
Indica Turning Radius 4.9 mts
i10 Turning Radius 4.5 mts

cheers
P.S- Let all TBhpian enjoy the flavour.
Old 31st July 2010, 23:33   #73
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
To set the records straight

IKON Turning Radius 5.0 mts
Indica Turning Radius 4.9 mts
i10 Turning Radius 4.5 mts

cheers
P.S- Let all TBhpian enjoy the flavour.

Thank you for the info bob!!.. I have actually not had a chance to 'U' turn any Indica or i10 other than these, so this info has shed some light to my knowledge. Also I guess my friends cars need to consult their respective workshops. Hmm.. Not sure what would cause this 'higher turning radius symptom'?, or did I get it all wrong?. Anyhow, will check it as soon as I get to lay hands on those cars.

Last edited by dhanushs : 31st July 2010 at 23:35.
Old 1st August 2010, 00:01   #74
Distinguished - BHPian

Because you will never, ever need the amazing convenience and carrying capacity of a hatchback with the back seat folded down.

Even the biggest saloons don't come close, because there is always that tunnel that the boot lid is hinged on that restricts you.

My UK Rover 620 (British Honda Accord) was a lovely car to drive around. For carrying more than a couple of suitcases it was useless. For carrying odd bits of furniture, it was a waste of time.
Old 2nd August 2010, 16:57   #75
BHPian

On people buying Dzire for snob value, status, image ! - I'd just . They need treatment ! My god, really so much is the sense of inferiority some people can have. I think an old immaculately maintained Esteem will get much more appreciation than a Dzire.

I think the market in India is just a joke that small tiny cars with boot are getting passed off as "big" cars!!! Technically, a classification based on size is different than one based on body type. Not every 3-box is a big car for god sake! Most of the C-segment cars in India are in fact Compact cars only forget even mid-size.

My reason of buying a Sedan would be - that I'm tired of MT in city driving and just don't have enough AT choices in the hatchback category.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks