Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th February 2012, 10:56   #106
Team-BHP Support

Re: Would you give a boot to the boot?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
I have a different view here, and a different reasoning.
I am in the market for a family car. My Palio MJD's boot, although large enough, is not sufficient when there are 4 people in the car going on a long vacation.

However, I do not want to compromise on rear washer and wiper, which I have found important on long drives. The only category of cars that fit my requirement (which includes budget constraints) is station wagon. Sadly, I have no choice here, so I have to stick to my Palio until a budget station wagon is launched (since I don't want to go for used cars).

Edit: just remembered Ertiga. May be that will suit my requirements (except, may be, available within a week or two from booking).
Team-BHPian AKP's Honda Jazz -

Hatch Back Vs Sedan ( Ride, handling, comfort, Power, Space, etc)-201101021425.jpg

Does it suit your requirements?

Jazz has 350 litres of boot space but can hold more cargo than many sedans - because you can stack your luggage vertically.
SmartCat is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2012, 11:00   #107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san
A Honda Jazz can gulp in more baggage than a Civic, which is a segment higher.
You mean just boot to boot comparison ? Or with the rear-seats folded in the Jazz ? If it's the latter, that would mean 2-3 people seating capacity gone in the Jazz and not a fair comparo.

EDIT : Saw the pic posted by smartcat and looks like you would have meant boot-to-boot. That is some boot capacity for sure.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 16th February 2012 at 11:02.
Old 16th February 2012, 11:02   #108
Senior - BHPian

Till the time a 12" sub fits in the boot, I'm ok. Since I & wife are the only ones going on road trips whatever doesn't fit in the boot simply makes it to the back seat.

I think as long as there's just two people in the car boot space wouldn't be an issue but as soon as there's a third or more, boot space would be a concern.
Old 16th February 2012, 11:06   #109
SAS
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Team-BHPian AKP's Honda Jazz

Does it suit your requirements?

Jazz has 350 litres of boot space but can hold more cargo than many sedans - because you can stack your luggage vertically.
@smartcat, I completely agree on this concept. I too used to follow the same on my Alto (prior to CNG conversion) and still follow it on my Santro. I have fitted my rear speakers on the rear door rather than install a parcel tray and block storage.

Just 10-15% of my total kms are on trips that require carrying heavy luggage, and for that the rear seats can be dropped down. I'd rather have a compact car which is more manuverable in city traffic than a boot since that's where my car is used most. The trick is to pack your luggage cleverly and make most use of space like using flexible luggage like duffle bags and only a couple large luggage pieces. That's just my experience and preference. Everybody has their own choices and preferences and completely appreciate that fact. I'd rather pay Rs 50k less and buy the new swift rather than the new dzire, but that's just me...
Old 16th February 2012, 11:29   #110
BHPian

Three of the four cars that I have owned had a dickey/boot (Except the zen). I always prefer a car with a dickey simply because:

1) The amount of luggage is never a problem (You can throw in the occasional commercial gas cylinder to go get a refill )

2) There is definitely more snob value, for a car with a dickey is usually perceived as a class above hatch backs.

3) Cars with a boot are generally bigger (Longer) and thus you just get that 'little' more respect on the road when compared to hatches IMO
Old 16th February 2012, 11:34   #111
J.Ravi

Re: Hatch Back Vs Sedan ( Ride, handling, comfort, Power, Space, etc)

Since most of my driving is on the highways, I like sedan for its ride, handling, dynamic stability and space. Boot space is a must for me. During my Leh trip, my Linea's 500 litre-boot got filled up to the brim and the balance luggage was dumped on the rear seats/floor board not considering the goodies we shopped at Srinagar and shipped to Bangalore by courier. During my Linea's airport trips for pick-up and drop, the boot is a saviour.

Old 16th February 2012, 11:40   #112
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
You mean just boot to boot comparison ? Or with the rear-seats folded in the Jazz ? If it's the latter, that would mean 2-3 people seating capacity gone in the Jazz and not a fair comparo.

EDIT : Saw the pic posted by smartcat and looks like you would have meant boot-to-boot. That is some boot capacity for sure.
Yeah, what I mentioned is with seats in regular position. I remember seeing a similar picture in the Goa travelogue by Suhaas307
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2012, 12:36   #113
BHPian

While on this topic, I ferried 3 Adults (including self/driver) + 2 kids + lots of luggage (4 full-sized bags - international passengers, 2 medium sized bags, 2 laptop bags and some trinkets) easily in my Fusion. Meru/Easy Cabs with Veritos/Logan said it would take minimum 2 cabs for this. No Kidding.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...usion-abs.html
Section: Initial Ownership - Positives

Typically boots in sedans are compromised due to the rear tyres. The space above them is pretty useless. The front space is wide but towards the rear it becomes narrow. Boots in hatches (in comparison) have a higher percentage of useful space.

Last edited by sachinayak : 16th February 2012 at 12:37.
Old 16th February 2012, 13:13   #114
Senior - BHPian

My first car was a Maruti 800, and the boot was seldom enough for any of our family outings. Even if we were to run to Pune for a single day, the boot would usually be full. Imagine how we coped with 3-4 days of outstation travel with five members on board! Finally after a few months I got a roof carrier fitted to the car to provide some breathing space, as otherwise the passengers would have to carry loose luggage items in their laps!

The Santro is bigger, but it's still inherently a hatch. The boot is bigger than the M 800, however with a full complement it still overflows.

Then came the Ikon with a cavernous boot (that's how it looks to me after having seen the hatches). Now except the hand luggage which should be with the passengers (such as eatables) I can store everything else in the boot. I could ferry my bro from airport to home and vice versa, accomodating two huge suitcases (though not with ease and some luggage had to be stowed inside the cabin). But it allowed us to travel together, a mini family outing, which is unthinkable with a hatch.

That's about the luggage space. Now some other characteristics.

After a ride in the Ikon, my mom opined that it was more comfortable to the Santro. Being a little longer and being a sedan, the Ikon obviously has more ride comfort than a hatch. Plus the legroom is marginally more (and even though it may be marginal, it does make a difference!). Three people can sit on the rear seat without making it crowded. Patches and uneven surfaces on the road don't cause a sudden braking, as the car can more easily plough through/over them.

On my recent trip to Kolhapur I could sustain three digit speeds on the e-ways and open roads, something I wouldn't dare do in the hatch. The new tyres and the TPMS did help build up confidence, but all things being equal the hatch would still cruise at lower speeds.

Now some pros: The hatch provides an excellent all round view (however this seems to be particular to the Santro and not a general hatch characteristic). Getting in and out is a breeze, the driving position is comfortable (in terms of knees hitting the steering) and it's generally roomier. Also when parking, the Ikon with almost double the length does make it difficult. With the Maruti I could almost park it wherever I found a gap. The Santro requires some more space, while the Ikon requires a lot!

The FE that the hatch returns is almost always about 2kmpl more than the sedan. Plus on crowded city streets it's much easier to navigate the small car around the various (moving and non-moving) obstacles on the road than the sedan.

So each type has its own strengths and weaknesses. It's a matter of evaluating each and decide which strengths you cannot do without and which weaknesses you can live with.
Old 16th February 2012, 13:29   #115
Team-BHP Support

I have posted this before, somewhere on the forum. But I guess the pic would do justice to this thread, since the current discussion seems to be concentrated on one main factor - boot space!

Had to shift my house (Bachelor style) to a nearby place. Dont think a sedan could have come so handy. For the record - its almost near 6 foot in length.
Hatch Back Vs Sedan ( Ride, handling, comfort, Power, Space, etc)-167640_185790421451964_100000630235146_519935_5409070_n.jpg

Old WagonR had an extremely useable boot. Flat with loads of vertical space + 50 -50 split for the rear seats. Could take in anything from bicycles - manual treadmills to extremely big suitcases.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 16th February 2012 at 13:33.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2012, 17:49   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post

Jazz is having more luggage space than most of the sedans even with the back seats in normal position. One should see the jazz to believe it. The packaging of jazz is wonderful.
Old 6th April 2012, 20:19   #117
BHPian

+1. No one can ignore the flexibility with the Boot space available with any 'hatchback'.. I once had used my Fabia to transport a bicycle, of course with some other stuff too, including a Revolving chair..
Needless to say, it was a 'perfect' job done, without any damages- neither to any of the Goodies nor to the 'Car' !!
Let the images speak rest of the 'story'-
Attached Thumbnails
Hatch Back Vs Sedan ( Ride, handling, comfort, Power, Space, etc)-fab-transport-1.jpg  

Hatch Back Vs Sedan ( Ride, handling, comfort, Power, Space, etc)-fab-transport.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks