Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th February 2006, 19:50   #1

Oxygen Sensor - Malfunction Need Help

Hi Folks,

I need help my Vtec has done around 50,000 Km and when I start the car when its cold after sometime the yellow light in the ignition comes on.However I noticced one thing that after the car is warmed up if I switch it off and turn it on the yellow light does not come. I took it to White filed Honda and they told me the Oxygen Sensor has a malfunction. However they could not replace it coz they did not have it in stock.

My Question is whats the use of the Oxygen Sensor and if its not repaired will it harm your car.

Kindly provide me some insights.
Old 6th February 2006, 20:15   #2
Senior - BHPian

Yes it will. It esentially provides feedback to the ECU for the right fuel/air mixture. I'm not tach geek so how do I know ? My 1.3 had it replaced a couple of months ago - and Honda has a heated element type that makes it twice as expensive as most brands' 15k or so for the OHC at least.

BTW, is this Whitefield Honda ? How does one make out if the sensor has *really* gone kaput ? I am not sure I trust those guys too much....
Old 6th February 2006, 20:34   #3
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Fifteen thousand rupees?..

If O2 sensor was at fault why only in cold engine!.. or its gone partially bad!

If I am not wrong the O2 sensor has no special role to play in a cold engine... it just works as usual. (can anyone confirm?)
Old 6th February 2006, 20:47   #4
BANNED

Hi,

Go to any authorised service centre and ask them to connect the HiScan to your car. When they run diagnostics for trouble codes the O2 sensor should come up as faulty or whatever is not working will show up. That way you have the problem part showing up if any.They should not charge you anything for the scan.

Viper

BTW - this procedure can apply to all MPFI cars for any sensor/electronic fault detection
Old 6th February 2006, 21:55   #5
Team-BHP Support

Sometimes, the sensor might need cleaning - consider going to a Bosch service centre for a second opinion
Old 6th February 2006, 22:51   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK
Fifteen thousand rupees?..

If O2 sensor was at fault why only in cold engine!.. or its gone partially bad!

If I am not wrong the O2 sensor has no special role to play in a cold engine... it just works as usual. (can anyone confirm?)
Hi
The O2 sensor needs to get to operating temparature to work properly. I guess the heater element of the 02 sensor might have given way. Once the O2 sensor has been warmed up by the hot exhaust gas, the computer might not sense the malfunctioning heater element...
Old 6th February 2006, 22:56   #7
BANNED

see this..
http://www.autohausaz.com/html/emiss...n_sensors.html
Old 6th February 2006, 23:10   #8
BHPian

About Oxygen sensors.

I vaguely remember this article and a few previous articles now and it should help clear some doubts you might have on the workings of the lambda sensor/Oxygen sensor. I think it was in response to a person who was getting an impossibly low mileage of just 7kmpl in his palio S10. Bye and wear your seatbelts.http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/...a/message/6341
I hope this url helps

Last edited by drpullockaran : 6th February 2006 at 23:11.
Old 6th February 2006, 23:17   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper
Hi,

BTW - this procedure can apply to all MPFI cars for any sensor/electronic fault detection

Interesting... Any idea how much the HiScan costs?
Old 7th February 2006, 09:18   #10
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdkarthik
Interesting... Any idea how much the HiScan costs?
Ideally it should be free of cost. Otherwise some private garages charge between 500 and 1k for a scan in Mumbai.

Viper
Old 7th February 2006, 09:37   #11
Team-BHP Support

Viper,

I think he means the product, not the service

cya
R
Old 7th February 2006, 09:49   #12
BANNED

Hi,

Last I heard was approx 1.25Lacs++ which includes data for all indian cars and most japanese and european cars with free upgrades for a year. There are several brands in the market.

Viper
Old 22nd February 2006, 03:48   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper
Hi,
Last I heard was approx 1.25Lacs++ which includes data for all indian cars and most japanese and european cars with free upgrades for a year. There are several brands in the market.
Viper
hey Viper, I have seen people using these laptop based softwares on corvettes ..they are pretty much detailed, they show just about everything the ECU can see ..and they cost less than 150$ only ...
wow !! no idea are they so expensive to get in India ?
Old 22nd February 2006, 09:03   #14
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetanhanda
hey Viper, I have seen people using these laptop based softwares on corvettes ..they are pretty much detailed, they show just about everything the ECU can see ..and they cost less than 150$ only ...
wow !! no idea are they so expensive to get in India ?
Hi,

I am not referring to the software. I am referring to the hand held scanner as well. Here is a pic of what I am referring to.

Viper
Old 22nd February 2006, 13:56   #15
BHPian

Slightly off topic, I know but, anybody know where one of us can get the necessary hardware + software to interface the ECU with a PC ?

I heard that most ECUs have a "Serial / RS232" interface commonly known as a "COM Port"; the one where you would plug in older mice and external modems. If that's true, then all I would need is the pin-out details of the ECU and I could build the interface myself. (Guys, dont look so impressed, it would just be straight thru wiring, no electronics necc. )

But... even if it is a simple serial interface, we would still need software to read (and write!) data to / from the ECU... or at least the protocol to be able to build the software.

I think exploring this would worth it... we gain access to all the ECU's diagnostics and may even be able to tweak the performance of our babies !

Starting a new thread for this...

- T u r b o C -

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks