Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 2nd January 2014, 12:56   #31
BHPian

Re: Diesel Particulate Filter

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post
Thank you. Is it true that some diesel cars in India come with DPFs? I thought the answer is no because the DPF will clog in no time with our fuel quality. And DPFs also need ultra-low sulfur diesel, which is not available in India at present. Or have I got that wrong and there is no connection between ULSD and DPFs?
I had heard one OEM had launched a higher end CBU with DPF but was quickly discontinued. DPF will clog faster due to lack of Passive regeneration in India due to the traffic conditions, the temperatures are not high enough to aid passive regeneration. However active regeneration (HC conversion across the DOC) will make sure the DPF will not clog. ULSD is preferred for DPF but not necessary, higher sulfur fuels will add additional PM to the DPF, however does not decrease the DPF efficiency, you may have to regenerate more frequently. However you can negate this by using non coated DPFs (for India), wherein soot mass it can hold will be much higher.

To answer your question, in Latin America for L6 emission norms, many OEMs are selling DPF fitted vehicles. The fuel sulfur level varies drastically in that region-50 ppm to 500 to 1800ppm. I would say 50ppm sulfur level is good enough for the DPF.
athalaga is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2014, 13:22   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vina View Post
apparently CVs and Figo have it. Ford Diesels have it basically to meet BS4.
I seriously doubt that Vina. But let me confirm you. But AFAIK, no Ford car in India is equipped with a DPF. I shall confirm the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen View Post
-Post injection to Burn soot
Can someone elaborate this? Post injection is how much 'post'? I mean, let's say the usual injection happens at 168 deg of crank angle. Post injection would happen in the order of say, 172 deg? A comparison of before and after would throw us more light on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by athalaga View Post
higher sulfur fuels will add additional PM to the DPF
Am sorry, I am not able to follow this. What does PM exactly mean here? And I wouldn't mind you elaborating my questions above too and a brief write-up on your knowledge and experience with DPF in a concise manner. Would help us all
Old 2nd January 2014, 16:07   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Am sorry, I am not able to follow this. What does PM exactly mean here? And I wouldn't mind you elaborating my questions above too and a brief write-up on your knowledge and experience with DPF in a concise manner. Would help us all
PM means particulate matter. Total Particluate matter consists of C-SOL+SOF+SO4--. SOL is solids( or Soot ot C), SOF is adsorbed hydrocarbons on the C and SO4-- the sulfate particles. With increased fuel sulfur, the SO4 content of the PM increases.

Quote:
And I wouldn't mind you elaborating my questions above too and a brief write-up on your knowledge and experience with DPF in a concise manner.
Please let me know your queries, ill be able to answer them. I dont see the need to provide my background.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 7th January 2019 at 11:37. Reason: Fixed quotes
Old 7th January 2019, 11:27   #34
BHPian

I seem to have a similar problem. I bought a 2011 E class CDI 350 and has been facing random stalling problem, and now limp mode. Tried checking the fuel related things like fuel pump, rail etc., to no avail, looks like clogged DPF. Any suggestions?

I do very short driving distances. My office is 2.5 KM from home. Understand that DPF clogs under such cycles.

Exhaust smells like burnt tyres.

Did 2011 E class have DPF. If not the whole hypothesis may be wrong.
Old 26th April 2019, 08:54   #35
BHPian

If it was a CBU, It came with one. But typically a clogged DPF can be caused by other engine factors, EGR valve malfunction etc.
Old 30th June 2020, 09:58   #36
BHPian

This article mentions about the contents of Harrier BS6 owner's manual. I also checked out the Seltos owner's manual which had similar content. Unfortunately data regarding the clogging and regen of the DPF is so variable that it will depend on the specific application and engine duty cycle. Definitely expecting issues related to clogging in city traffic.

One Seltos owner also posted regarding getting the engine check light on after 1350 kms:
Quote:
..My Seltos diesel showed engine check light on, after 1350 km, twice after running on BS4 diesel, which was cleaned & restored by kia service. Now my query is, After using BS6 diesel, for short trips & city runs, with out high way trips, will I be able to cover 10k, (being service interval) without facing engine check light warning again due to clogged DPF while using BS6 diesel?
https://www.91wheels.com/news/proble...-regeneration/
Attached Thumbnails
Diesel Particulate Filter-har11024x606.jpg  

Diesel Particulate Filter-har2.jpg  

ds.raikkonen is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 30th June 2020, 11:13   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ds.raikkonen View Post
This article mentions about the contents of Harrier BS6 owner's manual. I also checked out the Seltos owner's manual which had similar content. Unfortunately data regarding the clogging and regen of the DPF is so variable that it will depend on the specific application and engine duty cycle. Definitely expecting issues related to clogging in city traffic.

One Seltos owner also posted regarding getting the engine check light on after 1350 kms
Sharing my 2 cents of observation. Seltos and similar 1.5D based vehicles are opting for the relatively cheaper LNT - Lean NOx trap - method. Larger cars with 2.0L or more displacement diesel engines (Hector, Compass, Harrier etc) are going with SCR - Selective Catalytic Reduction - which is an active mechanism working together with AdBlu or similar urea based additives in the process.

From the statistical number of reported cases of clogged DPFs in BSVI compliant diesel cars (purely based on Google search results, may be wrong also), I feel that the LNT is not capable enough to continue working long cycles when BS4 diesel is used. SCR seems to be doing a relatively better job of it considering lower reported issues.

In most places barring the major metros, I don't think the BSVI diesel has reached (thus resulting in a failure of the much boasted 1 April deadline). And using the existing BSIV fuel is causing issues.

It seems Tata had tested the results of this and had an idea that the 1.5 Revotorq engine with LNT won't run without complaints on LNT regeneration for too long. That is why - the Nexon and Altroz diesels are still available only on paper in most places. Looks like they really tested something during test phases!
Reinhard is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th June 2020, 13:07   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Sharing my 2 cents of observation. Seltos and similar 1.5D based vehicles are opting for the relatively cheaper LNT - Lean NOx trap - method. Larger cars with 2.0L or more displacement diesel engines (Hector, Compass, Harrier etc) are going with SCR - Selective Catalytic Reduction - which is an active mechanism working together with AdBlu or similar urea based additives in the process.

From the statistical number of reported cases of clogged DPFs in BSVI compliant diesel cars (purely based on Google search results, may be wrong also), I feel that the LNT is not capable enough to continue working long cycles when BS4 diesel is used. SCR seems to be doing a relatively better job of it considering lower reported issues.
If you look at Commercial Vehicles, especially the GVW 2-3.5T range like Intra V30 etc, TATA opted to use LNT in the larger SCVs and SCR in the sub 2T SCVs like Ace Diesel. Mahindra too went the same way.

Earlier I had assumed LNT would be the costlier option, which does not need DEF and related paraphernalia. But seeing as it works on similar principles as the DPF (regen during rich operation), looks like it too will suffer similar issues. Wonder whether SCR vehicles have also been given an Ammonia Slip Catalyst to take care of the unused ammonia.

BS4 diesel will definitely cause more issues, but an even bigger issue will be adulterated fuel in non tier 1 cities. This was the reason bigger tractors suffered in rural areas sometime back as they had rotary pumps tuned with DI engines which were very sensitive to diesel quality (BS3 era).

Looks like only time will tell the fate of DPF and SCR systems in BS6 diesel vehicles (both PV and CV).
ds.raikkonen is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2022, 19:28   #39
BHPian

Hi guys, has anybody faced DPF error on a 2015 Audi Q3? A friend's car has some issue with DPF and performance has dropped significantly. His workshop guy said he has to replace DPF but unfortunately he's unable to find the part in Bangalore. Audi is refusing counter-sale So much for Competition Commission of India's ruling that car companies must have counter-sale option!

His workshop guy has tried cleaning the DPF but the error light is not going away. He said that car feels smoother post cleaning, but engine performance is not normal.

Anybody has some idea what can be done to resolve it?

Most Viewed