Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th August 2011, 17:10   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: I have lost the '1.5th Gear' of my Tucson - Pls. help me find it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
More or less confirms my diagnosis. The engine mountings (and/or maybe the gear box) may have gone soft, and are swaying slightly, there by misaligning the gear shift train. Please check the engine mounts for degradation and or excessive play.

That my friend is a very well thought out possibility !! But tell me if the engine mounts need replacement, would the engine not be shuddering a LOT more than normal ? Just a question that came to my mind. What are the early signs of engine mount wear ? Excessive shuddering - right ?

But this definately should be looked into

Cheers
Old 14th August 2011, 19:07   #32
Senior - BHPian

One month has been passed but still no reply.

The Problem has worsen.

The Gear Lever refuses to--
1) Slot into 1st and 2nd Gears from other gears (the Shifting from 1st to 2nd and vice-versa is also very difficult but not impossible).
2) Come out of 1st and 2nd Gear Positions. (Sorry for Typo Error).

The Gear Lever requires TREMENDOUS Force to shift from --
a) 1st - 2nd
b) 2nd - 3rd
c) 3rd - 2nd
d) 2nd - 1st

Please help. Its urgent.
Old 14th August 2011, 22:54   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
More or less confirms my diagnosis. The engine mountings (and/or maybe the gear box) may have gone soft, and are swaying slightly, there by misaligning the gear shift train. Please check the engine mounts for degradation and or excessive play.
I have got an engine mount (hydraulic) replaced very recently, so i would rule out the possiblity of the mounts going soft and swaying but nevertheless, i will get it re-checked.

Also, i have escalated the issue to the safdarjang hyundai management as the problem has started only after the clutch assembly replacement. I got a call from their AGM (service) that he will get the clutch assembly replaced to rule out any possibility of a faulty part as Hyundai provides a 6 months/10000 km warranty on spares.

Last edited by kamal.sn : 14th August 2011 at 23:11.
Old 15th August 2011, 11:47   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
That my friend is a very well thought out possibility !! But tell me if the engine mounts need replacement, would the engine not be shuddering a LOT more than normal ? Just a question that came to my mind. What are the early signs of engine mount wear ? Excessive shuddering - right ?

But this definately should be looked into
Cheers
If the gear selection is via a set of linkages, then any shift in the relative position of the gearbox and the linkage will create such problems. The mounts may well support the engine, but the engine can always settle down and take the alignment out.

Quote:
Also, i have escalated the issue to the safdarjang hyundai management as the problem has started only after the clutch assembly replacement. I got a call from their AGM (service) that he will get the clutch assembly replaced to rule out any possibility of a faulty part as Hyundai provides a 6 months/10000 km warranty on spares.
It may me as simple as the clutch not opening up fully. That would make shifting between gears difficult, except when the shift is at synchronized speed (that is when you can shift without clutch).

The clutch related problems
- clutch adjusted wrong so it does not open up fully
- clutch facing not flat, so it opens up when cold, but binds when hot
- in hydraulic clutch (as in brakes) if there is air, the clutch operation will be hampered. In case the fluid heats up, as it can after a few kilometers of travel in a stop and go traffic, the problem will be more severe.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks