Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th February 2006, 19:19   #1
Senior - BHPian

Maruti 800 problems..need remedies

Hey guys..rohan here..and i am new team bhpian..i have a maruti 800 1998 december model carbureted..It has run 60000 km..The car used to kind of give a kick in power at after a certain high rpm..now there is no such kick recently even got the distributor changed..after which the high rpm kick was back..but shortlived..the kick is gone back again..got the silencer replaced as it was chocked..pick up increased..but the kick does not come...got a new ignition coil too..air cleaner cleaned...What could be the cause of it..?..
nd i am even interested in fixing a brake booster to my carbureted 800..when spoke to company guys..they said it cant be done...nd when i spoke to my mechanic..he said it can be done..nd we will have to drill a hole in the inlet manifold..fix a valve which allows only air throw to it nd connect it to the vaccum thin in the brake booster..is this advisable???..nd my car has run 60000 km..never got engine decarbonizing done..any damage could happen to the engine??
Old 10th February 2006, 20:15   #2
Senior - BHPian

Check the vaccum tubes running to the carb and the distributor. Check if the advance mechanisminside the dissy is working - chances of it not working on a new dissy is not much, check anyways.

Check if the sceondary butterfly in the carb is opening or not.

How much blow by do you have from your cylinders, how's the compression?

To check the blowby look at the cam cover vent and see if too much oil residue is coming up through it, lots of blowby = weak compression.

Generally it's good to have a decarb at 35000km.
Old 10th February 2006, 21:46   #3
Senior - BHPian

Hey sankar..thanks for the reply mate..got the entire car checked today by a mechanic..and he said..everythin is in perfect order...changed the engine mountings today..as it lead to a lot of vibration to the steering when the fan kicked in...the chances of somethin goin wrong with the carb seem less..as the milege i am gettin is around 17 km/per litre in the city..which increases to around 21 km on the highway without the ac..so if the compression was weak..the mileage figures would have been worst..nd yeah..the pick up at low rpm is good as brand new..its just the high rpm kick that is gone....somethin else..going wrong..??or is it tha it has run 60000 km..thats why ..???r
Old 10th February 2006, 22:01   #4
BHPian

hey..as sankar said...get the secondary buttergly checked...it often gets jammed (atleast in the older carb zens) so using a bit of WD40 over it helps kill the gumming.
Old 11th February 2006, 00:22   #5
Senior - BHPian

thanks dude..will get it checked right tomorrow nd post the result...what about the brake booster thing...my mechanic says..that we will have to drill a hole in the inlet manifold for gettin vaccume for the brake booster..?is it advisable..?i have pretty poor braking on my 800..got the front disk pads changed..got the wheel cylinder of the drum brakes changed..the braking improved..but in the city driving..with the continious braking..is really tiring..so want a brake booster...could anyone enlighten me about this..the cost of the brake booster..nd stuff regarding the fitment in a carbureted 800 1998 model..
Old 15th February 2006, 19:46   #6
Senior - BHPian

Hey guys..someone reply back to my queries man...nd recently..since 2-3 days..my car has started vibrating a lot in idle..the steerin collum,the floor as well as the clutch pedal vibrates when stoppin at a signal and the car is idling..got the engine and gearbox mounts changed..but the vibration still continues...i checked the idling nd the idling is fine..as recommended by the company..what could be cause..please reply back guys..
Old 7th April 2010, 15:33   #7
Senior - BHPian

Apologies for digging up an old thread but I didn't want to create a new one.

I have a 2005 Maruti 800 Euro 3 model which has run about 41K kms. I am getting a squeaking noise from the front right side whenever the car is in motion. The noise comes randomly and it's constant at times and disappears for a while as well. The noise does not come when the car is idling. Could this be a belt noise or some sort of suspension noise? The timing belt was replaced at 35K kms and the car had a 40K kms regular service about a month ago. Is there a possibility of the car breaking down somewhere? I have never had any sort of unusual noises in the car before this. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Gilead : 7th April 2010 at 15:34.
Old 7th April 2010, 15:40   #8
Senior - BHPian

I hope its not from the bumpers. Since you mentioned its squeaking noise, it could be from the A/C belt too. Have you tried checking & running it with A/C & non A/C? Does it appear when you steer towards any specific side or does the sound starts when the vehicle is steered towards right/left?
Old 7th April 2010, 15:44   #9
Senior - BHPian

aargee, how can the bumpers make a squeaking noise? They are bolted on tight with no misalignment so I don't think it can be the bumpers. I'll check with AC on and off. I usually run it with AC full time. The squeaking sound comes irrespective of direction and I am sure it's coming from somewhere right in front of me on the right hand side of the car.
Old 7th April 2010, 16:01   #10
Senior - BHPian

Well, if the bolt nuts are loose (with my WagonR) I hear the squeaking noise, but only in the bad roads, otherwise quiet, this is what I intended to say.
Old 7th April 2010, 16:20   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilead View Post
The timing belt was replaced at 35K kms and the car had a 40K kms regular service about a month ago.
What timing belt change at 35K Kms? Gilead were you taken for a ride. My elantra has done 52K Kms as of yesterday and the recommended change is at 60K Kms

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Well, if the bolt nuts are loose (with my WagonR) I hear the squeaking noise, but only in the bad roads, otherwise quiet, this is what I intended to say.
Bang on buddy. Since this sound is starts only when the car is moving, its time to check your wheel bearing. For chennai potholes (read roads ) the bearing may be a culprit. I dont suspect the suspention at this point of time because if its a suspension noise you will hear it only on bad roads.
Old 7th April 2010, 16:48   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElantraGT View Post
What timing belt change at 35K Kms? Gilead were you taken for a ride. My elantra has done 52K Kms as of yesterday and the recommended change is at 60K Kms
Elantra, I was definitely not taken for a ride. The belt snapped just as I pulled into my house and the car was stranded for a day. The engine cranked but no ignition. The towing worked out to be more expensive than the actual belt and labor though. Let's not even compare an Elantra with a bare bones M800. There are many other places where Maruti's shoddiness is apparent but that's for another thread.

Quote:
Bang on buddy. Since this sound is starts only when the car is moving, its time to check your wheel bearing. For chennai potholes (read roads ) the bearing may be a culprit. I dont suspect the suspention at this point of time because if its a suspension noise you will hear it only on bad roads.
Ah, wheel bearing! I think that's the answer I was looking for. Is that an expensive fix? And yes, I get the squeaks on all kinds of roads and the roads are generally very good in the places where I drive.
Old 7th April 2010, 16:48   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilead View Post
Apologies for digging up an old thread but I didn't want to create a new one.

I have a 2005 Maruti 800 Euro 3 model which has run about 41K kms. I am getting a squeaking noise from the front right side whenever the car is in motion. The noise comes randomly and it's constant at times and disappears for a while as well. The noise does not come when the car is idling. Could this be a belt noise or some sort of suspension noise? The timing belt was replaced at 35K kms and the car had a 40K kms regular service about a month ago. Is there a possibility of the car breaking down somewhere? I have never had any sort of unusual noises in the car before this. Thanks in advance.
I also have 2005 (April) Euro 3 model M800 (has clocked 62K). Recently I have noted that whenever I press brake pedal, I get *scraping* noise from my right front wheel. The scraping noise does not come everytime but after covering some distance, say 4 km. Few times the noise stopped after few kilometeres but usually it doesn't. Pls do note again that I get scraping noise ONLY when I press brake pedal. I noted oil/grease stains around the inner part of wheel. Till now Powai Auto (MASS) have done regular service of my car but since last nine months the car has hardly been driven. HiStOrY: In past I was doing about 50 kms per day but now I have hardly driven 300 kms in last nine months. I live in (Mumbai) northeren western suburbs and if anyone can advise some better MASS in this region (except SPECTRA & SAI) for service & repairs.
Old 7th April 2010, 16:53   #14
Senior - BHPian

ariesonu, by 'scraping' noise, do you mean a screeching noise from the brakes when you apply them? The brakes need to be cleaned and the pads need to be replaced. But in my 800, that occasional brake screech always comes back within a couple of months. The brake noise is currently there in my car as well and I have learnt to just ignore it.
Old 7th April 2010, 16:59   #15
Senior - BHPian

Not Screeching but scraping. As if my brake pads have worn out & metal is directly rubbing with brake disc. Its only in right front wheel. The brake pads were replaced in my last service by MASS & I have hardly driven (300 kms or so) after last service. I cannot name it but the rubber packing around bearing is cracked/torn (Probably the reason behind oil stains) on both front wheels.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks