Team-BHP - Lighting Upgrade Help Needed
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Technical Stuff (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/)
-   -   Lighting Upgrade Help Needed (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/10469-lighting-upgrade-help-needed.html)

I just got back from the mumbai auto show at the bkc and found myself a nice set of philips H4 100/90W halogen bulbs that I want to replace my stock oe lamps on my 96 esteem with.
Although i didnt even bother asking if i needed to add a cutout to my wiring before i did swap the bulbs out .. :Frustrati
Anyone have any ideas if i need to get myself a cut out before i do that or should they be fine just by themselves
thanks guys

YUp... YOu will need that and a relay....!

Dear Memeber,
The cut out is a must for an upgrade of this magnitude as the original bulbs I believe are 60 watts which works out to 5 amps load on the wiring and switches. Rememebr the equation H=I squared *R *T where H is the heat produced. Now if the bulbs are 100 watts they are going to take up about 9 amps and that would be above the safety margin of the wiring. More over on the junk trap Indica; I am using philips 130/100watts bulbs and the cut out has helped immensly in improving the light output because the OEM switches is bound to drop the voltage slightly due to poor contacts. On the Palio GTX I am using the 80 watts high beam without a cutout and that is giving no problems as of yet but thats the max I can go without using a cut out I am told by the electrician. After installing the cut out there is no vehicle on the road at night that does not dip the headlights when I shine mine onto them. To cut a long story short use a cut not only for your safety but also to improve the lighting quality and also to improve the life of the bulb. Use google to know the working of a halogen bulb to know how it can improve the life of a bulb. Bye and wear your seatbelts.

Thanks a bunch guys ! Looks like i need to find an electrician to get the cutout fitted before i put the new bulbs in ..
thanks again guys n drive safe.

To do :
1) Add a relay (cut-out) .
2) Replace the OE headlamp sockets with aftermarket Bakelite sockets to avoid meltdown due to heat generated. The socket would cost around 40 bucks a piece .

:)

3) Upgrade to a thicker wire

For more information look at this discussion.

And you MUST CHECK THIS WEBSITE OUT.

cya
R

whatevr you do, just make sure that it does not affect the reflectors in the long run.

Ok i guys i spent the better half of my sunday afternoon rewiring a set of 12v relays with new wiring into my system and i did change the plugs to bakelite (thanks to nitrous) to deal with the heat aswell, as youll can immagine much to the dismay of my better half who finds the weekends the only time we have together. :)
but i can finally say imm quite excited and the lamps look really good now , clear bright although i havent managed to aim them properly as yet.
i tried doing that but the aiming screws seem to be rusted beyond recognition.
next on my list , ill be sure to post some pictures when imm done ! thanks to all of youll for helpin out ! cheers

Hi Guys, my friend got me a set of headlight bulbs (chinese made), which were supposedly xenon lamps for my lancer. These bulbs are tinged blue and have a 90 watt as their wattage compared to the stock lancer headlamp wattage of 60 w (which i find to be not sufficient to light up the road in front many times). However, when i replaced my stock lamps with these ones, i found to my utter surprise that the light still is yellow like stock headlamps.
:Shockked:
I'd like to know how come blue tinged headlamps still throw a yellow beam (i mean do these bulbs need to get heated or something before they start throwing adequate intensity and white light, since i just checked them by switcing them on for less than 2 minutes even)?
Also, will the changed specifications as per the mentioned increased wattage have any adverse impact on the headlights and all?please: