Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 19th July 2011, 21:02   #1
BHPian

Accent CRDi - Injector failed

Hello,

My Accent CRDi has done around 92K kms and very recently I had noticed that engine sound is much louder than normal levels.

My regular mechanic (Trichy) told me that one of the three injectors has failed (3rd one, to be exact). He said injector service cannot be done in Trichy and I have to either go to Salem or Bangalore. I got the salem workshop details (Bangalore Auto Diesels, Near New Bus stand, Salem).
But he does not have workshop contact details in Bangalore.

Since I work in Bangalore, I decided to drive down to Bangalore from Trichy to get this serviced. Mechanic confirmed its safe to drive at sedate speeds, only that the mileage will be on lower side.

Could someone help me with a place where I can get this done in Bangalore & also cost to replace it, if cannot be serviced?
Old 19th July 2011, 21:17   #2
BHPian

Re: Accent CRDi - Injector failed

Please go to Hyundai authorized service center for the replacement. I do not suggest any machines tools replacement outside.
contactme27 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2011, 22:22   #3
Senior - BHPian

Are you convinced it is the injector?
Should be an expensive proposition.
Old 19th July 2011, 22:34   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by contactme27 View Post
Please go to Hyundai authorized service center for the replacement. I do not suggest any machines tools replacement outside.
Thanks Contactme27. I'm convinced that H.A.S.S in my city is not competent enough to handle this. Besides, they normally dont repair any failed parts. They would suggest to replace it, which could be very expensive
Anyways, If I dont get any contacts in Bangalore, I would give it a shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen View Post
Are you convinced it is the injector?
Should be an expensive proposition.
Yes, its injector. To test this, my mechanic replaced the failed injector with the working one from another car and the engine sound back to normal.
According to him, we can service failed one instead of replacing it and would hit my wallet around Rs 7K max.
But replacing it would be costly, as you mentioned.
Old 20th July 2011, 01:04   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey nfsfreak,

The modern CRDi injectors are piezoelectric injectors and are very complex. They very rarely fail. Also, I doubt if they are even servicable. As a start, I would suggest you to use fuel additives (injector cleaners) for the next few 100 kms.

If that doesn't solve the issue, I would suggest to go for a replacement, not repair.
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2011, 13:03   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Hey nfsfreak,

The modern CRDi injectors are piezoelectric injectors and are very complex. They very rarely fail. Also, I doubt if they are even servicable. As a start, I would suggest you to use fuel additives (injector cleaners) for the next few 100 kms.

If that doesn't solve the issue, I would suggest to go for a replacement, not repair.
Thanks Dhanushs. I would try with fuel additives first and see if it resolves the issue.

Could you please recommend some good injector cleaners?
I hope this injector cleaners are in-tank additives and a DIY. Pls correct me, If I'm wrong.

Last edited by nfsfreak : 20th July 2011 at 13:10.
Old 20th July 2011, 13:53   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfsfreak View Post
Hello,

My Accent CRDi has done around 92K kms and very recently I had noticed that engine sound is much louder than normal levels.

My regular mechanic (Trichy) told me that one of the three injectors has failed (3rd one, to be exact). He said injector service cannot be done in Trichy and I have to either go to Salem or Bangalore. I got the salem workshop details (Bangalore Auto Diesels, Near New Bus stand, Salem).
But he does not have workshop contact details in Bangalore.
How does the Mechanic know the Injectors have failed? Do you see any warning lights in instrument cluster? Get the car scanned at a reliable workshop, if the Injectors have failed they will show up in the report.

Remember to get a second opinion from someone reliable and experienced.

i had a similar problem in my Elantra CRDi. Read more about it: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post2088383
.anshuman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2011, 15:08   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
How does the Mechanic know the Injectors have failed? Do you see any warning lights in instrument cluster? Get the car scanned at a reliable workshop, if the Injectors have failed they will show up in the report.

Remember to get a second opinion from someone reliable and experienced.

i had a similar problem in my Elantra CRDi. Read more about it: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post2088383
Thanks for the pointer Anshuman. I dont see any warning lights in Instrument cluster.
My mechanic told me that he checked by replacing the injectors in my car (one by one) with the working one from another car and the engine sound reduced when he replaced third one.

In my native place, I could not find any one as reliable as my current mechanic (know him for past one year, for various repairs on other cars as well). Somehow, H.A.S.S-Trichy does not convince me that they are competent enough to handle repairs

First, I will check by adding fuel additives (injector cleaners) as Dhanushs pointed out and then with take it to Advaith Hyundai in Bangalore for second opinion.
Old 20th July 2011, 18:11   #9
Senior - BHPian

The fisrt indicator of a failed injector will be reduction in performance. And the Injector wont just go bad like that. Drop in performance will be there along with warning light along with higher temperature than normal.
If none of these things are observed, then I dont think that the injector is at the end of its life.

Go to an authorized workshop and get the car checked.
aaggoswami is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2011, 18:40   #10
BHPian

Thanks aaggoswami. Recently, there is a slight drop in performance (say around 15%), - engine response is slow and engine noise is on higher side.

But I dont see any warning lights. The temperature is also normal (did 2 long drives - around 800 kms in same condition).

As all of you suggested, I would take a second opinion in H.A.S.S Bangalore but would like to try fuel additives (injector cleaners) first, as I'm planning to drive the car to Bangalore from Trichy (=340 kms). So, If engine residues is the problem, it would be cleared by that time.
Could someone suggest a good injector cleaner?
Old 20th July 2011, 20:56   #11
BHPian

NFSFreak, take it to a station where they clean the CRDI injectors and ask them to clean only the third injector ( Clean in the sense, replace the filter inside the injector and check the flow) this should cost you max 2k.

If you think this has done you good, then get the first 2 injectors cleaned too, it will help.
Old 20th July 2011, 21:15   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfsfreak View Post
Thanks Dhanushs. I would try with fuel additives first and see if it resolves the issue.

Could you please recommend some good injector cleaners?
I hope this injector cleaners are in-tank additives and a DIY. Pls correct me, If I'm wrong.
NFSFREAK: You can try out System D (for Diesel), available at Bharat Petroleum bunks. System G is for petrol - FYI
Old 20th July 2011, 21:32   #13
Senior - BHPian

Not always the ECU can detect a faulty injector.
Absence of MEL light does not prove the injector is not faulty.

You should try to drive the car with changed injector (which your mechanic did) and see if there is any improvement in performance.
Old 20th July 2011, 21:44   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by contactme27 View Post
Yes ,Yes pls go to Hyundai S .S. if you got plenty of money to throw, these H.S.S. are fleecers .
They told me same about injector failure in my CRDI, and told me that Injectors cost is 21000/- each..
Iwent to my local F.I.P. SERVICING mechanic he openend up the F.I.P. and replaced all seals and serviced the same ,and every thing was normal, charged me 1200/-.I used the car for about 33000 ks before selling it off.
IQBAL VEERJI is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2011, 22:26   #15
Senior - BHPian

if i am not wrong, Hyundai crdi injectors are about 18k each.

PS: Do you have kabadi like we have in Ahmedabad. The one that buys totaled cars from insurance companies in lot. Its the best bet to source parts

Most Viewed