Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 19th April 2006, 11:08   #16
BHPian

samurai,
i think it won't have cracked due to trapped heat and cold water and the thermalshock.

i guess while driving some stone from vehicle ahead of you had hit the windscreen and that started the crack.

i guess, in your case Windshield Experts can't do anything!

you'll have to get it replaced.
Old 19th April 2006, 11:40   #17
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfinstein
@ Samurai- Well the Glass is 100 % claimable and will not amount to such a loss on your NCB, Like I was told for my lancer accident ..Only 10% of the slab is lost...considering the cost of the windsheild at approx 3000-15000 ( Depending on which wheels you drive), You may want to check things first.
Not just 10%.... all of it.
If your Insurance is 1 year old then.... you'll just have 10% to lose.

The maximum no claim can be 60% (we have it on our Alto)....
Baleno's Ins premium is about 30+k... so in a 60% no claim situation you lose
next year = 60% = 18k
next to that = 50% = 15k
next to that = 30% or 40% = 12k.... so you see....

Quote:
Originally Posted by revharderi
think it won't have cracked due to trapped heat and cold water and the thermalshock.
It does happen...
we had a 2-3inch crack on our Alto's screen...
and my father told his driver to put water on the car as it was 45+ deg... and its almost impossible to sit in.
it just went bang..... the crack was 2 feet long.

Its not trapped heat as cars are never Air Tight..... its just the thermal shock, which can at time do this.
Old 24th April 2006, 18:19   #18
Team-BHP Support

I just gave the car to Mandovi Motors, Mangalore. It will be Rs.9000 for everything. I am not claiming insurance. BTW, they didn't have any front windshield film available, looks like I have to wait until my next drive to Bangalore.

When I mentioned about the front windshield film, the part shop guy gave me a wild stare and said "That's very expensive!". I just stared back, then he got on the phone, called his supplier, then told me they didn't have it.
Old 24th April 2006, 18:28   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai
I just gave the car to Mandovi Motors, Mangalore. It will be Rs.9000 for everything. I am not claiming insurance. BTW, they didn't have any front windshield film available, looks like I have to wait until my next drive to Bangalore.

When I mentioned about the front windshield film, the part shop guy gave me a wild stare and said "That's very expensive!". I just stared back, then he got on the phone, called his supplier, then told me they didn't have it.
it hink 9k is too high an amount to pay up...rather you claim from insurance, your ncb will not go so high....
Old 24th April 2006, 18:33   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by adit1329
it hink 9k is too high an amount to pay up...rather you claim from insurance, your ncb will not go so high....
My father-in-law advised against it. He claimed 12K on his Santro and they paid 70%, and next year they really hiked his premium and made him really pay for it.
Old 5th July 2011, 16:48   #21
BHPian

re: Crack in front windshield

I am planning to change my Toyota innova windshield as there are too many scratches and wiper blade mark left. Unable to drive in the night. I inquired in the Toyota service center and they quoted around 12K including lubricants and rubber beeding. Now the surprise is when I inquired outside he quoted straight 3200 all inclusive. Now dilema is it safe bet to replace the windshield from outside. Even these guys are experts in replacing the windshield and they deal with many cars. Also, Service center people are saying it needs two hours to replace and outside guys say it is 45 min job.

Now, is there any difference in quality of the windshield bought in service center and from outside.

please help me finalize whether to go for outside fitment or authorized center
Old 5th July 2011, 18:20   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by contactme27 View Post
please help me finalize whether to go for outside fitment or authorized center
Go to Windshield Experts; they are one of the best in business. A.S.S. will unnecessarily charge you double the price and labour.

Windshield Experts will take ~1 hour for the entire job. A lot of people on the forum (including self) have done windshield replacements thru' them.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 5th July 2011 at 18:21.
Old 5th July 2011, 20:17   #23
BHPian

Quote:
I am planning to change my Toyota innova windshield as there are too many scratches and wiper blade mark left. Service center people are saying it needs two hours to replace and outside guys say it is 45 min job.
Hallo,
Just last May I was at Silliguri, in north Bengal. There was a thunderstorm at night and one small branch of a tree fell on my Tata Indigo car, causing a small dent on the bonnet and a cracked windshield. This happened within the compound of my hotel, when the car was parked under a tree late at night. Unfortunately the crack was on the driver's side and I decided to change it. The TASC guys there did not return my car immediately on the same day. They insisted that they will keep the car for at least one night for the adhesive to dry up completely, before I drive the car again.
Regards,
Rahul Biswas
Calcutta
Old 5th July 2011, 20:26   #24
BHPian

Visit Windshield experts, my ANHC WS had an hit (it was just few weeks old) when a stone from lorry came and landed on it at high speed and result was a crack.

I got it replaced at WSE, because

> Glass they use is actually the same as OE except it didn't had a H logo, but saw the same was available on few which they were fixing (for Hyundai).

> Time they need, they finished the work in less than 1hr and car had to stay in their for 2 hrs. In total it was little more than 3hrs than compared to what dealer was asking me (2 days).

Iam very happy with the work, I didn't face any issue so far
Old 5th July 2011, 20:34   #25
BHPian

Quote:
I inquired in the Toyota service center and they quoted around 12K including lubricants and rubber beeding. Now the surprise is when I inquired outside he quoted straight 3200 all inclusive. Also, Service center people are saying it needs two hours to replace and outside guys say it is 45 min job.

Now, is there any difference in quality of the windshield bought in service center and from outside.
Generally A** people charge more BUT looking at the difference in quotes you got I definitely think there is a difference in quality involved.

All windshields are not the same. You have laminated windhields and windshields made of tempered glass - the latter will break into pieces if broken whereas the former will not. I am 100% sure that you can't get a laminated windhield for Innova for 3200.

The OEM for Innova is most likely Aasahi glass. If you get that fitted from Windshield Experts you will need to shell out in the region of around 9-10k (all inclusive). And yes it does take close to two hours - 30 mins for the fitment and and another 90 mins or so for the glue to dry a bit for you to drive off.
Old 5th July 2011, 21:26   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu230506 View Post
Visit Windshield experts, my ANHC WS had an hit.I got it replaced at WSE,
how much did you pay for the windshield & work? Do you have the A** quote for the same job as well? Wanted to check the difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
He claimed 12K on his Santro and they paid 70%, and next year they really hiked his premium and made him really pay for it.
I understand he would have lost on the NCB. But other than that what did he have to pay more than normal? The hike in premium was because he didn't get an NCB right?
Old 5th July 2011, 21:32   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
I understand he would have lost on the NCB. But other than that what did he have to pay more than normal? The hike in premium was because he didn't get an NCB right?
Yes, it is due toi NCB. I had to claim Rs 9700 for my Fiesta, out of which I paid around 3 K for glue and beading, which is covered only to the extent of 50 %.

My premium was jacked up to Rs 1500 the following year.
Old 5th July 2011, 21:34   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cesc View Post
Generally A** people charge more BUT looking at the difference in quotes you got I definitely think there is a difference in quality involved.

All windshields are not the same. You have laminated windhields and windshields made of tempered glass - the latter will break into pieces if broken whereas the former will not. I am 100% sure that you can't get a laminated windhield for Innova for 3200.

The OEM for Innova is most likely Aasahi glass. If you get that fitted from Windshield Experts you will need to shell out in the region of around 9-10k (all inclusive). And yes it does take close to two hours - 30 mins for the fitment and and another 90 mins or so for the glue to dry a bit for you to drive off.
Hi Cesc, as far as I know and read parent company of WSE is Aasahi, they indeed have the same brand WS which are used by OE folks. As mentioned there might be few/most of the cases where you would not find the brand logo (car make).

I agree to the point that 3200 seem to be pretty low, please check the quality, which aftermarket shop did you check with.

Before finalizing visit WSE Iam sure they should have a branch in your locale.

Quote:
how much did you pay for the windshield & work? Do you have the A** quote for the same job as well? Wanted to check the difference.
As far as I remember,
  • WSE - 6k including everything after a visit, 3hrs for fitment. If I go with insurance only 858rs to be paid.
  • Magnum Honda – 9k, estimated quote over phone, might vary after an inspection. Time for delivery would be 48hrs.
  • Dakshin Honda – 13k estimated quote over phone, Time for delivery would be 48hrs.

Last edited by raghu230506 : 5th July 2011 at 21:37. Reason: typo
Old 5th July 2011, 21:44   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu230506 View Post
WSE - 6k including everything after a visit, 3hrs for fitment. If I go with insurance only 858rs to be paid.
The insurance you are mentioning is the same as our normal insurance right? I never knew we could use it outside the A** too ! And the "with" insurance quote is SUPERB !! I guess its worth to consider this, if the NCB amount is not very high [for a 2-3] year old vehicle. I am thinking of changing the windshield of my Swift too in a couple of months since it has lots of wiper scratches. Night driving in drizzle is pathetic to say the least. All I can see is the numerous arcs after a wipe and it stays on for at least 10 seconds blinding me.
Old 5th July 2011, 21:51   #30
BHPian

Quote:
The insurance you are mentioning is the same as our normal insurance right? I never knew we could use it outside the A** too ! And the "with" insurance quote is SUPERB !! I guess its worth to consider this, if the NCB amount is not very high [for a 2-3] year old vehicle. I am thinking of changing the windshield of my Swift too in a couple of months since it has lots of wiper scratches. Night driving in drizzle is pathetic to say the least. All I can see is the numerous arcs after a wipe and it stays on for at least 10 seconds blinding me.
Yeh it's the normal insurance, I found with WSE it's hassle free, one call made and agent was in their premises to inspect. 30 mins after the inspection I received SMS confirmation on the claim and amount. Meanwhile WSE have already started their work

Though the amount was on the lower side I did went with insurance just to claim once (I never claimed insurance)
Closed Thread

Most Viewed