Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd August 2011, 22:08   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Sluggish response from i20 Diesel

We have a i20 1.4 CRDi that has completed 12,000 kms and the third free service last month.The engine oil was changed from Delvac MX to Delvac 1 fully synthetic along with the change in oil filter.Air filter element was also replaced.

The car was totally fine for 2 weeks after the service.But,from last 2 weeks i have noticed that the car response has become sluggish.It is not as eager to move as it was before.The turbo kick in first gear is not apparent as before(It may be my illusion too) but pretty prominent in other gears.It feels as if the engine is strained to rev up.Before it used to lunge forward but not now.The clutch makes squeaking noise when depressed.

Experts,please help me find out the solution to this.
Old 3rd August 2011, 04:34   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Sluggish response from i20 Diesel

My 1st suspect would be bad fuel. 2nd would be, any leak in the Turbo plumbing? Do you hear any additional 'whoosh' whist turbo?
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2011, 06:35   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
My 1st suspect would be bad fuel. 2nd would be, any leak in the Turbo plumbing? Do you hear any additional 'whoosh' whist turbo?
No i dont hear any additional "whoosh" sound.The turbo sounds as it did before
Old 3rd August 2011, 07:26   #4
Senior - BHPian

The first gear in diesel cars are only for crawling traffic use. If the turbo kick is evident in other gears it should be a problem.
Since you said the air filer is replaced, blocked air filter can be ruled out.
Most probable cause would be bad fuel.
Old 3rd August 2011, 08:28   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
We have a i20 1.4 CRDi that has completed 12,000 kms and the third free service last month.The engine oil was changed from Delvac MX to Delvac 1 fully synthetic along with the change in oil filter.Air filter element was also replaced.

The car was totally fine for 2 weeks after the service.But,from last 2 weeks i have noticed that the car response has become sluggish.It is not as eager to move as it was before.The turbo kick in first gear is not apparent as before(It may be my illusion too) but pretty prominent in other gears.It feels as if the engine is strained to rev up.Before it used to lunge forward but not now.The clutch makes squeaking noise when depressed.

You say that the car was fine for the first 2 weeks. by any chance, do you remember how many kilometers did you drive then?

Also, did the problem occur while driving itself or while starting him up after a halt(before halt car was ok and after halt, not ok)?

in addition to these, please get the following parameters checked by your h.a.s.s as quickly as possible

1. get your ECU scanned using the OBD tool. this will help you diagnose the problem accurately. even if there is a burned out relay/solenoid, it will be displayed by the OBD tool.

2. inspite your air filter being new, do get it inspected/changed. clogged filter could be the culprit.

3. get your fuel line cleaned completely. as somebody had rightly pointed out earlier in the posts, adultered/dusty fuel will block the lines thereby leading to engine starving for fuel. hence the lag.

4. one more easy check. jack up all for wheels and check for free rotation of wheels. wheel drag ( feel ) to be a <=5Nm. brake drag can also result in poor vehicle acceleration.

all the best for a speedy recovery.

cheers

Wild Child
Old 3rd August 2011, 08:29   #6
Senior - BHPian

Btw if it was bad fuel you should be seeing his problem persistent in every gear which you have ruled out.

Quote:
the car response has become sluggish.It is not as eager to move as it was before.The turbo kick in first gear is not apparent as before(It may be my illusion too) but pretty prominent in other gears.It feels as if the engine is strained to rev up.Before it used to lunge forward but not now.The clutch makes squeaking noise when depressed.
If the clutch does squeal then its caused by a bad pilot bearing or bushing.Quoting from my thread

Quote:
If a squealing sound is produced when the pedal is released, meaning that the clutch is fully disengaged, the problem can likely be traced to a worn or insufficiently lubricated pilot bushing. If the pilot bushing appears to be in good condition, meaning that its surface does not appear gouged, lightly polish the bushing with an emery cloth, then lubricate the bushing with oil and apply chassis grease to the clutch shaft pilot hub. If the bushing is damaged but lubricated, it must be replaced. However, a bushing which is damaged but does not lack lubrication is most often caused by the misalignment of the clutch housing.
Don't hit the panic button as yet, you might want to start off looking at the air filter, clogged fueline, clutch et all.

Last edited by rjstyles69 : 3rd August 2011 at 08:30.
Old 3rd August 2011, 09:04   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Please find my replies in bold

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild child View Post
You say that the car was fine for the first 2 weeks. by any chance, do you remember how many kilometers did you drive then?

Car was serviced at 11900 kms and it was fine till 12500 kms.

Also, did the problem occur while driving itself or while starting him up after a halt(before halt car was ok and after halt, not ok)?

Yes,it occured after a weekend half when the car was not used for 2 days.July 18,to be precise

in addition to these, please get the following parameters checked by your h.a.s.s as quickly as possible

1. get your ECU scanned using the OBD tool. this will help you diagnose the problem accurately. even if there is a burned out relay/solenoid, it will be displayed by the OBD tool.

Have to give it to HASS then.That will be possible only on weekends

2. inspite your air filter being new, do get it inspected/changed. clogged filter could be the culprit.

Will do it myself today

3. get your fuel line cleaned completely. as somebody had rightly pointed out earlier in the posts, adultered/dusty fuel will block the lines thereby leading to engine starving for fuel. hence the lag.

Wont the dust,debries get blocked and collected in diesel filter?

4. one more easy check. jack up all for wheels and check for free rotation of wheels. wheel drag ( feel ) to be a <=5Nm. brake drag can also result in poor vehicle acceleration.

Again need to take it to HASS for this

all the best for a speedy recovery.

cheers

Wild Child
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
Btw if it was bad fuel you should be seeing his problem persistent in every gear which you have ruled out.

If the clutch does squeal then its caused by a bad pilot bearing or bushing.Quoting from my thread

Don't hit the panic button as yet, you might want to start off looking at the air filter, clogged fueline, clutch et all.

The clutch sqeals both while depressing and releasing.And the sqeal is not present when i start driving a night halt.It starts after driving in traffic for approx 10 kms.The sqealing noise is coming from the clutch pedal area.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 3rd August 2011 at 09:30. Reason: Merging back-to-back posts. Please use the 'Edit' button is posting within 30 mins of previous post.
Old 3rd August 2011, 09:27   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The clutch sqeals both while depressing and releasing.And the sqeal is not present when i start driving a night halt.It starts after driving in traffic for approx 10 kms.The sqealing noise is coming from the clutch pedal area.
Well a squeal is a squeal get the pilot bearing checked, I would say it saves you the headache of getting a replacement clutch assembly in the long run. The pilot bearing needs to be greased regularly at-least from what I read.
rjstyles69 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2011, 09:36   #9
BHPian

Hi,

I remmber after i gave my Santro for the fourth service, the engine somehow lost its punch it had when the car was new. The engine felt constrained and never revved as freely as it used to. I took the car back to the service centre but they said nothing was wrong. The car never really recovered from the "service".
Old 3rd August 2011, 10:33   #10
BHPian

you are absolutely right. particles will get collected in the diesel filter.

a clogged diesel filter will also choke the engine resulting in your observation.

cheers
Old 3rd August 2011, 12:23   #11
BHPian

Any excess black smoke while accelerating? Like DhanushS mentioned, check for loose or holed turbo/intercooler piping.
Old 3rd August 2011, 13:05   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
from last 2 weeks i have noticed that the car response has become sluggish.It is not as eager to move as it was before.The turbo kick in first gear is not apparent as before(It may be my illusion too) but pretty prominent in other gears.It feels as if the engine is strained to rev up.Before it used to lunge forward but not now.

The clutch makes squeaking noise when depressed.

Test Drive another i20 CRDi back to back with your car or get another to i20 CRDi owner to TD your car, you will feel the differences if any immediately.

Did you visit Hyundai Service Center? If Yes, What did they say?
Old 3rd August 2011, 14:37   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Test Drive another i20 CRDi back to back with your car or get another to i20 CRDi owner to TD your car, you will feel the differences if any immediately.

Did you visit Hyundai Service Center? If Yes, What did they say?

The car was *more* eager to move two weeks ago.I cant understand how test driving another i20 CRDI helps in this matter.Because the diffference is there and i can feel it.

No i have not taken it to HASS yet.Will take it this weekend.

But what i am wondering is,after service it was awesome for 2 weeks.Later its become sluggish.Has this got something to do with Fully synthetic Mobil Delvac 1 that i put during the service.Is 12K kms good enough to switch to synthetics or is the oil preventing the engine from working to its full potential?
Old 3rd August 2011, 14:48   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
how test driving another i20 CRDI helps in this matter.Because the diffference is there and i can feel it.
Because you said
Quote:
It may be my illusion too
To confirm it's not an illusion, if the other car reacts the same- it is an illusion, if it does not- there is something wrong.
.anshuman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2011, 14:57   #15
BHPian

Quote:
But what i am wondering is,after service it was awesome for 2 weeks.Later its become sluggish.Has this got something to do with Fully synthetic Mobil Delvac 1 that i put during the service.Is 12K kms good enough to switch to synthetics or is the oil preventing the engine from working to its full potential?
Sagarpadaki : The issue your experiencing is an exact replica of what I encountered sometime ago mentioned in one of my posts , changing to Synthetic will definitely not degrade performance in any way and 12k kms is way less for such issues to occur in my opinion.

I was frantic when I noticed the Turbo kick/Performance go down and raised this with MASS which was ignored.

Though the Air filter was checked MASS technician felt that there was no issues even though I knew for myself that the performance had dropped.

The only thing that I could think of was Adulterated Diesel, hence to narrow down to the actual cause I added IFTEX System D to the existing Diesel that was being consumed,

System D brought back the Turbo Kick/Performance though not as before but this test was enough to prove that it was the quality of Diesel that was the cause.

Consumed the adulterated Diesel somehow and finally changed the Diesel Bunk , touch wood until today the Turbo Kick/Performance has returned just like Day 1

Dont panic ( I know I freaked out when this happened ) .. try this test , it worked for me should rule out Fuel adulteration.
Peter is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks