Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 5th August 2011, 13:38   #1
BHPian

Hyundai Santro (2002) Clutch, Brake, Door Pads Query

Hi Guys,

I've got a Hyundai Santro 1.1L ZipPlus that's in dire straits right now. She's clocked in over a 100,000kms and is in her 9th year currently. While her engine and gearbox is in pretty good shape, the rest of her is sadly deteriorating rapidly. While the exterior denting & painting work will take a year or so, I need to get her back in running condition.

Parts i currently need are:
  • Clutch Cable
  • Clutch Release Bearing
  • Clutch Friction Plate
  • Clutch Pressure Plate
  • Brake Booster
  • Lock Handles (Those thin stick like things)
  • Door Pads - The current one's are made of cardboard and have almost turned to mush in the rains. So i'm looking to replace these with the one-piece fibre one's that were present in the Santro Xing.
The quotes I've received so far are as follows:
  1. Clutch Assembly (Cable, Bearing, Pressure Plate & Friction Plate): Hyundai Dealer in Malad - Rs. 10,000. Local Dealer - Rs. 4,000/-
  2. Brake Booster: Hyundai Dealer - Rs. 5,000/- Local Dealer - Rs. 3,000
  3. Door Pads: Local Dealer is quoting 12,000/- Hyundai Dealer refused to give a quote
The Hyundai Dealer is quoting a very high amount for the parts and insists that the work be done through him and him alone. The time quoted for the job too is extremely long - 3 to 4 weeks. The parts available with the local spares dealer are non-oem, Delhi make and do not come with any guarantee. Could someone please guide me to a reputed place from where i could source the parts. I wish to get the work done at my usual garage.

Thanks in advance,
cheers

p.s. apologies to the mods if my post is in the wrong section.
Old 5th August 2011, 14:54   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Hyundai Santro (2002) Clutch, Brake, Door Pads Query

Tanmay - you can get a quote from Chandrika Automobiles (Gokhale Road) or Shetty Motors (Opera House), if you want to procure it yourself and get it done from a local garage.

Else, for a one stop solution you could try Chamunda Motors (Borivali W). They'll get you geniune parts and do the work as well. Their prices are also pretty ok (labour is slightly expensive at 1k odd).

PS - Are you sure you need a clutch cable? AFAIK, all Hyundai cars have a hydraulic clutch, which means no cable!
nishantgandhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2011, 15:03   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Anger View Post
  • Door Pads - The current one's are made of cardboard and have almost turned to mush in the rains. So i'm looking to replace these with the one-piece fibre one's that were present in the Santro Xing.
  1. Door Pads: Local Dealer is quoting 12,000/- Hyundai Dealer refused to give a quote
Santro xing door pads are also of cardboard. not 100% fiber. the lower half (70%) is cardboard.
Mine too suffered water damage after ice installation.
Local mechanic in andheri was ready to make the same (lower half) in aluminum for Rs 1000 per door.

UM

Last edited by UniqueMods : 5th August 2011 at 15:04.
UniqueMods is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2011, 02:02   #4
BHPian

The problem i'm facing is that i haven't met one official Hyundai guy who can honestly help me with my car. From the dealer to the ASC's, all have been non cooperative. Love the MSIL/TATA guys for this. You just walk into a dealership and get the part you want. Why can't all manufacturers be like this. When i contacted Hyundai corporate helpline, they said that they don't sell parts to individual customers. I mean, c'mon, how else do you expect customers with decade old cars cut down costs without compromising parts quality. They still get their share of the pie from the parts sales

@Nishant, I'll start with Chamunda first, since they're the closest and then widen my net. Even i'm doubtful about the clutch cable, but all dealers in the vicinity have mentioned it, so will research more and revert.

@UniqueMods, Sad to hear about your door pads, i so hate those cardboard thingies I got the idea to transplant those from the xing, when i saw them on a car and as much as i could recollect, they were a one-piece fibre unit.

Also, thanks a ton both of you, it's encouraging to see such prompt replies

Cheers
Old 24th August 2011, 18:56   #5
BHPian

Hi guys,

Sorry for being away from this thread. Here's what's been happening:

Found that there was a difference of less than 800 Rs. between the quotes that i got from the dealers mentioned by Nishant and also by Vishwanathan. So i'm still undecided about whom to go to.

The story on the door-pads goes that they are indeed made of card-board as mentioned by UniqueMods. The same are available at a cost of approx Rs. 1300 for each door.

The car is currently at the garage. She started leaking oil from the sump, thought it was the gasket or something. Had also noticed that the Power Steering Fluid too was running low. I'm currently waiting for her to return, before i make my next move.

Will keep you'll posted.

Cheers
Old 24th August 2011, 23:09   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Anger View Post
Hi guys,

Sorry for being away from this thread. Here's what's been happening:

Found that there was a difference of less than 800 Rs. between the quotes that i got from the dealers mentioned by Nishant and also by Vishwanathan. So i'm still undecided about whom to go to.

The story on the door-pads goes that they are indeed made of card-board as mentioned by UniqueMods. The same are available at a cost of approx Rs. 1300 for each door.

The car is currently at the garage. She started leaking oil from the sump, thought it was the gasket or something. Had also noticed that the Power Steering Fluid too was running low. I'm currently waiting for her to return, before i make my next move.

Will keep you'll posted.

Cheers
So did you give it to Chamunda?
Old 24th August 2011, 23:22   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
So did you give it to Chamunda?

Nope buddy, she's at the usual place. Went to check on her in the evening and got to know that she should be ready in a couple of days. Another option for me with the fiber parts is to go and try my luck at the Kurla market. Just to see if i can get any OEM parts at a cheaper rate.

Cheers
Old 26th August 2011, 07:46   #8
Senior - BHPian

Not sure if you have a market in second hand parts in Mumbai - for e.g. parts extracted from accident vehicles.
That way you could keep parts costs down.
Old 30th March 2014, 22:47   #9
BHPian

Hi,

I have a 2002 Santro ZipPlus which I bought from the first owner couple of months back.
Once payment done, the Full service was actually done at a Local garage, and the Guy never informed me about any issues with the Clutch. However when I visited the Hyundai SVC (Trident) for a different issue, the Service adviser asked me to get the clutch replacement done which would come up to an approx of 7K.
I do feel the engine tends to have a higher rpm even after depressing the Clutch hard to the bottom. I also feel a bit hardness when downshifting to second gear.
Could this be a worn out Clutch assembly or clutch cable linkage issue which is a minor thing to get fixed due to the car being unused for a prolonged period (almost 8-10 months) without even a Start!

Request you to also justify the Quote from the SVC for the Clutch replacement.

Sorry for waking up this 2+ year old Thread
Mods if the post is irrelevant here please move accordingly.
Old 30th March 2014, 23:27   #10
Senior - BHPian

Please get a second opinion on if the clutch indeed needs replacement. 7k seems ok. Do get a list of all parts which will be replaced along with the labour cost so you can compare and decide.
honeybee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2014, 10:33   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Hello unni246,

From whatever you have written, I see no clutch issues. BTW, how many kms has the Santro done till date? Engine running at higher RPM after depressing clutch means that the engine idle rpm is set high. How does it idles when at neutral after reaching optimal operating temperature? (not at cold start).
Also, hard shifting of gears may be due to many other issues, from minor to major...like adjustment of the clutch cable tension to problem with synchroniser rings in the gear box. The transmission oil may be old too or the gear linkages at the bottom of the gear shift lever may we worn out. Does the problem of hard gear shifting remains same even after the car has run a few kms?

A problematic clutch has other symptoms like poor FE, engine running at higher RPM but the car still feeling sluggish and slow, low power from the engine, etc. Get second opinion.

Last edited by saket77 : 31st March 2014 at 10:34.
Old 31st March 2014, 14:36   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Hello unni246,

From whatever you have written, I see no clutch issues. BTW, how many kms has the Santro done till date? Engine running at higher RPM after depressing clutch means that the engine idle rpm is set high. How does it idles when at neutral after reaching optimal operating temperature? (not at cold start).
Also, hard shifting of gears may be due to many other issues, from minor to major...like adjustment of the clutch cable tension to problem with synchroniser rings in the gear box. The transmission oil may be old too or the gear linkages at the bottom of the gear shift lever may we worn out. Does the problem of hard gear shifting remains same even after the car has run a few kms?

A problematic clutch has other symptoms like poor FE, engine running at higher RPM but the car still feeling sluggish and slow, low power from the engine, etc. Get second opinion.
Thanks for the info Saket.
The Higher RPM is an issue when the Gear is engaged & not in Neutral.
The hard issue seems to crop up after completing a few kilometers and these are the Gears we engage the car mostly in, in our Bangalore Traffic.
I also feel the power to be a bit on the lower side.
The car has just completed 55K but is a 2002 model with no history of Clutch replacement.

Most Viewed