Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 7th August 2011, 21:22   #1
BHPian

Problems/Complication arising from "keyless go"

Hi Team,
I faced a problem today due to start stop mechanism in a nissan teana. It was parked behind my car, so it had to moved for my car to removed. The nissan did not accept the key. Finally after ten mins trying called the owner. He too tried but in vain. He thought the battery of the key must have got weak so brought the spare key but that to didnt work. We also tried the backup key installed in the key itself but the stering key would not move. Finally had to call a friend with his car.
My point is if a car with start/stop mechanism was out of station or on highway and the battery of the key dies or the ecu does not recognise the signal from the key is there any thing that can be done? Or do we have to go to service centre for help
Has anyone faced any such problem?
hemen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2011, 21:29   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Problems/Complication arising from start/stop mechanism

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemen View Post
Hi Team,
I faced a problem today due to start stop mechanism in a nissan teana. It was parked behind my car, so it had to moved for my car to removed. The nissan did not accept the key. Finally after ten mins trying called the owner. He too tried but in vain. He thought the battery of the key must have got weak so brought the spare key but that to didnt work. We also tried the backup key installed in the key itself but the stering key would not move. Finally had to call a friend with his car.
My point is if a car with start/stop mechanism was out of station or on highway and the battery of the key dies or the ecu does not recognise the signal from the key is there any thing that can be done? Or do we have to go to service centre for help
Thats bad. Before going to the service centre ask you friend to check the manual if he can do some intial diagnosis of the problem. If nothing helps then the service centre is the last alternative. After calling your friend did the problem get resolved, if so what was done?

My friend has a Nissan Micra, will contact him to find out if he has faced any issues regarding the start/stop.
Old 7th August 2011, 21:35   #3
BANNED

Re: Problems/Complication arising from start/stop mechanism

There shouldnt be much issues about a simple start stop function. car has to be reprogrammed to resolve this issue or replace the sensor that checks the key.

Last edited by taranonline : 7th August 2011 at 21:44.
Old 7th August 2011, 21:36   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur
Thats bad. Before going to the service centre ask you friend to check the manual if he can do some intial diagnosis of the problem. If nothing helps then the service centre is the last alternative. After calling your friend did the problem get resolved, if so what was done?

My friend has a Nissan Micra, will contact him to find out if he has faced any issues regarding the start/stop.
This happend today evening and being a sunday nothing could be done. My car is still stuck.
Old 10th August 2011, 15:24   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Problems/Complication arising from "keyless go"

Quote:
I faced a problem today due to start stop mechanism in a nissan teana.
Hi Hemen, firstly I've renamed your thread, presuming you are talking about keyless go. The start / stop mechanism is entirely different; it's basically a system that shuts the engine off when the car is stationary in traffic (to save fuel).

Did you guys try pressing the brake pedal before pressing the engine start button? It's a requirement with the Nissan system. If yes, and both the keys didn't work, probably an electrical problem somewhere.

Note that you can always call the traffic authorities if a car is parked such that it blocks you from driving away; the tow truck usually arrives in a very short while.
Old 10th August 2011, 15:50   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Hi Hemen, firstly I've renamed your thread, presuming you are talking about keyless go. The start / stop mechanism is entirely different
Thanks for the clarification. Even I, was unsure.
Quote:
He thought the battery of the key must have got weak so brought the spare key but that to didnt work.
Doesn't the car come with real keys, which you put in the keyhole? It can be used, in case the batteries are shot.

Quote:
if a car with start/stop mechanism was out of station or on highway and the battery of the key dies or the ecu does not recognise the signal from the key is there any thing that can be done?
Well, if the batteries are shot, as I mentioned above, one could use the real key. And, regarding the 2nd point, most modern cars (including the humble 800) come with an engine immobilizer, which requires the ECU to recognize the RF signal from the key. Its pretty reliable, and seldom causes problems.

Well, in case if it causes problems even with the original key, an ECU reset should solve the issue, which can be done anywhere, including the highway. You just have to remove the battery terminals, remove any residual current from the cars electrical system, wait for 20 mins, and re-connect it.

Last edited by dhanushs : 10th August 2011 at 15:51.
Old 10th August 2011, 16:00   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Team,
I faced a problem today due to start stop mechanism in a nissan teana. It was parked behind my car, so it had to moved for my car to removed. The nissan did not accept the key. Finally after ten mins trying called the owner. He too tried but in vain...
Excuse me, but what key did you try using to open the Nissan before the owner got there? If you tried some other key than the vehicle's, maybe the immobiliser kicked in and hence didn't allow you to start the car?
Old 10th August 2011, 16:05   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Team,
Is the Teana owner your acquaintance. Are you sure it was his own car and not an imposter posing as the owner. Maybe thats why the car didn't start, as it shouldn't, without the original keys! Just a thought.
Neilguy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2011, 16:59   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neilguy View Post
Is the Teana owner your acquaintance. Are you sure it was his own car and not an imposter posing as the owner. Maybe thats why the car didn't start, as it shouldn't, without the original keys! Just a thought.
He is a neighbour

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Excuse me, but what key did you try using to open the Nissan before the owner got there? If you tried some other key than the vehicle's, maybe the immobiliser kicked in and hence didn't allow you to start the car?
The car opened with the remote itself

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Hi Hemen, firstly I've renamed your thread, presuming you are talking about keyless go. The start / stop mechanism is entirely different; it's basically a system that shuts the engine off when the car is stationary in traffic (to save fuel).

Did you guys try pressing the brake pedal before pressing the engine start button? It's a requirement with the Nissan system. If yes, and both the keys didn't work, probably an electrical problem somewhere.

Note that you can always call the traffic authorities if a car is parked such that it blocks you from driving away; the tow truck usually arrives in a very short while.

The car is a prefacelift one nearly 2 years old and the owner personally drives it too once in a while. I have personally moved this car n number of times. The thing that we had observed was once the car accepts the key. 'KEY' in the dashboard turns green but it was just blinking in red like it hasn't registered the signal from the keys.The problem occurred maybe due to our limited knowledge of the system or plain badluck.

The next day, the driver of the car told me that the car did not start because the steering wheel was locked .
Old 10th August 2011, 17:20   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The next day, the driver of the car told me that the car did not start because the steering wheel was locked .
Is this is a normal thing with such cars? I dont think there should be any relation with the steering wheel lock and the engine start stop. Doesn't the Steering wheel get locked manually? I am confused.
Old 10th August 2011, 18:17   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs
an ECU reset should solve the issue, which can be done anywhere, including the highway. You just have to remove the battery terminals, remove any residual current from the cars electrical system, wait for 20 mins, and re-connect it.
The residual current can be drained by depressing the Brake Pedal after removing the Battery Terminals, right? If yes, how long should the Brake Pedal be pressed?

Most Viewed