Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th August 2011, 20:18   #1
Senior - BHPian

Maruti 800 Wiper mounts collapsed (due to rust)

Hi,

My 97 maurti 800's wiper mountings (driver side) has collapsed due to rust and age.My question is whether will the repair of the same involve removing the dashboard etc since the area of the wipers is inaccessible?

Would it be expensive to get the mounts repaired? There is now a gaping hole where the wiper used to be as i removed both the wipers.

thanks
Old 13th August 2011, 22:38   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: M800 Wiper mounts collapsed

A pic of damaged area would help us in giving suggestion. I also had a rust breach at inner side of A pillar on driver side. So may be able to help you after some pics.

Raab Rakha.
Old 14th August 2011, 00:06   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariesonu View Post
A pic of damaged area would help us in giving suggestion. I also had a rust breach at inner side of A pillar on driver side. So may be able to help you after some pics.

Raab Rakha.
Maruti 800 Wiper mounts collapsed (due to rust)-293077_253632581322929_100000285688931_965446_8235071_n.jpg

Well here's a pic of the same.The thingy on which the wiper is mounted has collapsed inside.
Old 14th August 2011, 00:52   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Attachment 592424

Well here's a pic of the same.The thingy on which the wiper is mounted has collapsed inside.
Not a big issue I had same issue got it done at local garage, they get that wiper mount remove front glass,open little portion of dash board and weld that portion and refix the wiper machine, all it takes around 4 to 6 hrs time.
I got it done at Andheri and was charged ,900/- in all.
IQBAL VEERJI is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2011, 01:34   #5
BANNED

No need for welds cuts .Open bonnet on left hand side you will see the wiper motor .Open the screws .Remove motor and will notice the wiper link assembly attached to motor on a pivot . remove it . Put in the new links tigten back everything and you are good to go.
please get it at MASS else local mechanics more often than not will never get the synchronization proper and you will get a lot of dhak -dhak noise when wipers are at extremes .Also please avoid totally local wiper link assembly as they develop play soon and wear out soon leading to noise .
And while at it you can get the wiper blades new too.

All the best .
Trust_In_Thrust is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2011, 21:20   #6
BHPian

Re: Maruti 800 Wiper mounts collapsed (due to rust)

yeah did the same no need for welding or opening the dash or glass , all accessable after removing the wiper motor . My 97 800 links got rusted first then I tried operating the wiper motor which got burnt due to the jammed links so replaced jammed links , wiper motor (taiwan make not lucas) all for about 1500 . If possible replace the old wiper arms so u can fit the new clip type wipers instead of the old screw type . Bosh are good .
Old 16th August 2011, 23:51   #7
BHPian

I replaced the entire wiper linkages of my neighbours zen at home. It cost me around 500 bucks last year. The wipers are working fine yet. The linkages can be usually accessed from the engine compartment. If you can upload a pic of it, I can help.
Tejas Ingle is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2011, 15:40   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IQBAL VEERJI View Post
Not a big issue I had same issue got it done at local garage, they get that wiper mount remove front glass,open little portion of dash board and weld that portion and refix the wiper machine, all it takes around 4 to 6 hrs time.
I got it done at Andheri and was charged ,900/- in all.
But Veerji, Wouldn't welding result in paint burn around the area?
I had the front windshield removed once & in subsequent rains, my car leaked badly. I had to get the windshield doen again from W-Experts in Mahim then.

Raab Rakha.
Old 25th September 2011, 13:46   #9
Senior - BHPian

Got a temporary solution to the problem.Got the driver side wiper motor rod removed along with the wiper and the attached the pasenger side wiper the reverse way.The Passenger wiper mount is still intact and works fine.Will most probably get it fixed next rainy season as the rains are on their way out ,more also the car won't be used for long drives but rather around the corner trips.

Maruti 800 Wiper mounts collapsed (due to rust)-800_wiper.jpg
Old 25th September 2011, 14:13   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Got a temporary solution to the problem.Got the driver side wiper motor rod removed along with the wiper and the attached the pasenger side wiper the reverse way.The Passenger wiper mount is still intact and works fine.Will most probably get it fixed next rainy season as the rains are on their way out ,more also the car won't be used for long drives but rather around the corner trips.
I've had plenty of 'temporary' solutions because of the frequency of accidents from careless drivers. However, fitting a good working wiper is one of the essentials that you need to get done if any rain is expected (we still have a couple of cloudy days here) because it affects visibility. Tyres, brakes, and headlights are just as important for safety.
Old 25th September 2011, 15:47   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_nitin_r View Post
I've had plenty of 'temporary' solutions because of the frequency of accidents from careless drivers. However, fitting a good working wiper is one of the essentials that you need to get done if any rain is expected (we still have a couple of cloudy days here) because it affects visibility. Tyres, brakes, and headlights are just as important for safety.
I understand your concern about safety but the current setup works and the wiper functions very well.The post was added so that it could be useful to someone in case of emergencies.As for being "careless" i did not use this car for around a couple of months not only because i had a another vehicle to use also because i knew the wipers were not in order.

There were plenty of days in between where it was quite sunny and was tempted to take the 800 out but refrained from doing so because of the wipers.Since the rains are slowly but surely saying goodbye here in mumbai my mechanic suggested we get the wipers fixed later on and gave me this fix just in case.

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 25th September 2011 at 15:52.
Old 25th September 2011, 17:21   #12
BHPian

Quote:
As for being "careless" i did not use this car for around a couple of months not only because i had a another vehicle to use also because i knew the wipers were not in order.
Just to clarify, I didn't mean you were being careless. What I meant was that some careless driver would cause paint chipping, bumper alignment damage, or cracked plastics. Fixing the damage would seem almost pointless because, due to the fate of our Indian traffic, another accident just a week later by another careless driver would bring it back to the same condition. Hence my lack of concern over having 'temporary' fixes (patch work) as long as it only affects the aesthetics and vehicle appearance. I ensure that anything affecting functionality or safety on my car is attended to urgently and fixed properly.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks