Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2011, 18:17   #1
evo
BHPian

Chevrolet Service Plans - Worth getting them ?

DISCLAIMER : Couldn't find a thread that deals with it, if you do, please intimate moderator to merge.

So, we are getting a new car and are considering whether we should take the maintenance plans that Chevy offers for the CRUZE.Please share your views especially existing Cruze owners.

These are the salient features :
  • INR 40,000
  • 3 Years. 45000 KM
  • Supposedly everything except Tyres, Battery and Accidents

The standard warranty is 100,000 KM 3 Years.
evo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2011, 15:24   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Chevrolet Service Plans - Worth getting them ?

I, for one, am a HUGE fan of these cashless maintenance packages, and applaud BMW / Chevy / Ford (and some others) for offering them.

The Cruze uses synthetic oil, thus the cost of each individual service will be higher. Also, a Chevy owner reported on this thread that he gets free pickup / drop off facility, thanks to his service plan. You will also need atleast one replacement of brake pads in 3 years, which alone costs 13K.

Quote:
Supposedly everything except Tyres, Battery and Accidents
Perhaps, wiper blades are included as well. I recommend going ahead & enrolling your car into the service plan.

Last edited by GTO : 18th August 2011 at 15:25.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th August 2011, 15:48   #3
Senior - BHPian

Yes. It is a must. I had the privilege of getting my car serviced for these 3 years without any single paise.

But yes, it for the REGULAR service intervals. Still worth it. They replace whatever is to be replaced for that service interval, be it consumable or otherwise.

The price is all inclusive - consumables, labour, parts etc.

You can actually get the service manual for the Cruze and check. Behind each leaflet, they will have the parts / consumable which will be replaced free of cost int hat service. So, will give an idea of how much you can save.

But 40K? I am not sure. May be because of the Cruze!

I got it for 13K for my Aveo 3 years before
Old 18th August 2011, 16:14   #4
Senior - BHPian

From what I've been reading across the forum, brake pads wear out pretty fast on the Cruze - there have been cases of as early as 15k kms. As Rush has mentioned, a set of front & rear will set you back by 13k or thereabouts so you can do the math.

Makes sense, if you start adding on the cost of the regular services once the free services get over.
Old 18th August 2011, 19:16   #5
Senior - BHPian

I am not sure if I am getting this right but Chevy has a plan called Chevrolet promise, where they have mentioned max Maximum Maintenance Cost for 3 yrs (or 45,000 kms - whichever is earlier from date of vehicle delivery) for Cruze is 40K.
Now the Plan states if you incur more maintenance than the specified amount the extra amount will be refunded.
This is the form for reimbursement.
ClaimRequestForm.pdf

Now why pay 40K beforehand? Keep the money and use the interest. And definitely the cost will be less than 40K in the 3 years or else Chevy would be flooded with such claims.

I have not opted for this package in my Beat. I think it is unnecessary. The maintenance cost is indeed low.
Old 19th August 2011, 00:05   #6
evo
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
From what I've been reading across the forum, brake pads wear out pretty fast on the Cruze - there have been cases of as early as 15k kms. As Rush has mentioned, a set of front & rear will set you back by 13k or thereabouts so you can do the math.

Makes sense, if you start adding on the cost of the regular services once the free services get over.
Exactly my worry too, after reading two or three threads where brake related expenditure for 40,000 KM is around 35 K, its quite useful to have the plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen View Post
I am not sure if I am getting this right but Chevy has a plan called Chevrolet promise, where they have mentioned max Maximum Maintenance Cost for 3 yrs (or 45,000 kms - whichever is earlier from date of vehicle delivery) for Cruze is 40K.
Now the Plan states if you incur more maintenance than the specified amount the extra amount will be refunded.
This is the form for reimbursement.
Attachment 595138

Now why pay 40K beforehand? Keep the money and use the interest. And definitely the cost will be less than 40K in the 3 years or else Chevy would be flooded with such claims.

I have not opted for this package in my Beat. I think it is unnecessary. The maintenance cost is indeed low.

As per the dealers representation, its all included, not something that is refundable etc. You dont pay anything at all, thats all.

In terms of the interest even though its a petty figure, why not do a calculation - @10% its a max of Rs.4000 a year if you dont get your car serviced at all. If you do and a service costs about 5000, then your annual interest is 3500, and then lesser in the years when you replace brake pads etc. So basically over 3 years, the interest would be about 8-10 K . So instead of 40K, assume the plan to be 50K . Thats all.

But I like the concept of a maintenance plan thats all in especially since as per my calculations the car will indeed drive around 40,000 KM in that period.
Old 19th August 2011, 09:12   #7
Senior - BHPian

If the brake pad issue very common imho it may be worth the cost that too if they are giving a free replacement for sure. Verify this in print or writing and not just a verbal assurance. If its just the routine stuff then I don't see why should you pay the amount upfront.
Old 19th August 2011, 09:29   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Also, a Chevy owner reported on this thread that he gets free pickup / drop off facility, thanks to his service plan.
I thought this was standard for all brands when you leave the car for service? I don't have any maintenance plan with MSIL but the MASS guys pick-up the car for service and bring it back afterward. If we take the car to the workshop, we get dropped off at specified points in their own car and will be picked up later on when we go back to fetch the car. Both services are complimentary.

Last edited by Gansan : 19th August 2011 at 09:31.
Gansan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2011, 19:38   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by evo View Post
As per the dealers representation, its all included, not something that is refundable etc. You dont pay anything at all, thats all.
I think you mis-understood me.
there are 2 terms
1) Cashless ownership. For this you pay 40K and then get free maintenance for 3 yrs.
Chevrolet Service Plans - Worth getting them ?-capture.png
2) Chevrolet promise is by default every chevy you buy. (What I explained above)

I am not sure if they have the same plans now.
Old 19th August 2011, 21:02   #10
BHPian

Quote:
there are 2 terms
1) Cashless ownership. For this you pay 40K and then get free maintenance for 3 yrs.
Attachment 596134
2) Chevrolet promise is by default every chevy you buy. (What I explained above)

This is the second one - Chevrolet promise

Chevrolet commitments & promises on different carlines
Chevrolet Service Plans - Worth getting them ?-chevrolet-commitment.jpg
Old 19th August 2011, 21:14   #11
Senior - BHPian

I have a Spark which they have free maintenance plan/cashless ownership (worth 13K to purchase), so I do not need to pay any money for regular maint/service etc for 3 years/45000KM (whichever comes earlier).

My car completed 2 years/30500 KM and it is valid for another year.

Do they extend this plan if we pay the money and buy the free maint. plan? :-) (dream!!?),If yes it is very good!

Last edited by Latheesh : 19th August 2011 at 21:15.
Old 20th August 2011, 16:33   #12
evo
BHPian

Quote:
there are 2 terms

Thank you Oxyzen, I was totally unaware of their "Promise" without having to pay them anything upfront.

Now I understand what you were saying, which is basically, if they are already promising to refund the excess amount then what is the need to pay them upfront.

Hmm. However, I dont know whether they`ll continue to offer it for the next 3 years.

Now this is some conundrum, but why would Chevy do such a thing when they are trying to sell a cashless plan also ?

Anyways, I`ll err on the side of caution and buy the plan. Owning a Skoda has made me wary, very wary !
Old 20th August 2011, 21:55   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
I thought this was standard for all brands when you leave the car for service? I don't have any maintenance plan with MSIL but the MASS guys pick-up the car for service and bring it back afterward. If we take the car to the workshop, we get dropped off at specified points in their own car and will be picked up later on when we go back to fetch the car. Both services are complimentary.

Actually we get dropped off/picked up in their "shuttle" which makes a round to specified areas/bus stops/railway stations once every two hours or so. All major MASS set-ups use a Versa for this and it is clearly painted on the body of the car as "MSM shuttle ', ABT Maruti shuttle" etc. We can flag them down on the way and board.

@evo
It would be better to buy any EW or AMC plans if offered, irrespective of brand. I would buy an AMC in a jiffy if MSIL offers it.

Most Viewed