Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 25th October 2006, 16:44   #46
SLK
Senior - BHPian

No, I have no idea about non-GTX magnatec....

The grade of this oil is SAE 15W40....

Just checked the Maruti Manual .. it specifies about 8 grades... depending on the ambient tempreture

this 15W40 is in the middle somewhere...
Old 25th October 2006, 17:52   #47
Senior - BHPian

Offtopic I guess--

Guys, I have been servicing my 2001 Santro every 6 months despite not clocking even 5-6K as my usage isnt more than 25Kms per day (tops)..
Should I be servicing only at 10K intervals? BTW, the car has run only 33K so far.
Old 9th November 2006, 15:07   #48
BHPian

Team,

Me back with a query again, My 2004 alto has done 20k and desperately in need for service, Dont trust Bimal on this one, So another member was kind wnough to guide me to a mech who can get the job done for me..

I need to change the engine oil as well.. Which one should I go for??

Thanks in Advance team.
Old 10th November 2006, 14:35   #49
BHPian

Err.... People, Please help me out.. Need to change it tommorrow.. My friend was recomending shell hi-lux or something..........

Help required please.........
Old 4th February 2007, 20:06   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK View Post
No, I have no idea about non-GTX magnatec....

The grade of this oil is SAE 15W40....

Just checked the Maruti Manual .. it specifies about 8 grades... depending on the ambient tempreture

this 15W40 is in the middle somewhere...

So the Grey Can is GTX Magnatec 15w-40, But Castrol Website does not mention the product only Magnatec 10w-40 is given, Will it be Okay for my XETA-Also how much does a TATA Xeta Require
Old 17th February 2009, 15:23   #51

I am very confused over the forum that when we should have to change the engine oil in a new car after 1000 or 1500 kms. I am owing Santro purchased in (January 2009) completed 2k kms till and the service center people are not changing the engine oil in first service according to their manual and change in the second service at 10k kms.
So i got confused over here and thinking that can I change the oil by my own, but here i am again confused over the brand name that the Hyundai service centers are using.
Old 17th February 2009, 16:15   #52
Team-BHP Support

No need to get confused, you can change oil at 1000 to 1500 kms without any damage, similarly first oil change at 5000 kms will also do very minimal damage, its not the ideal thing to do. Thats all!!

Regarding brand buy castrol magnatec should work well, you will have to check with dealership as to what dealer is using. The main criteria is the oil grade and NOT brand.

If you have the mechanical know how + basic tools + Oil filter removal tool + Oil sump washer/bolt, you can do it yourself. Or just pay up at a dealership and do it as a paid job!
Old 18th February 2009, 09:57   #53
BANNED

I would say service one in 10,000km or one year whichever is earlier. Coolant and Brake Fluid need to be changed at twice this figure, i.e., 24 months ( and 20,000km though this can be stretched).

The critical point to remember is that the maximum (i.e., High Temperature) rating of the oil is not lower than what is specified which for Hyundai Santro (AFAIK) is SAE 50. Whether you use 10W50 or 20W50 makes very little difference. Lower figures meach easiler cold starting, and somewhat faster initial circulation. Hyundai specifies API-SG so as per the new scheme of things API-SL is adequate. Magnatec is SM!
Old 18th February 2009, 10:46   #54

Yesterday i had a word with the work manager of Deep Hyundai in Delhi regarding the engine oil change and the brand that they people are using to change in Santro, he told me that they are using SERVO HYUNDAI ENGINE OIL 15W40 since 1998 when the Santro was launched and when i asked about the Castrol then he was insisting on SERVO with Oil additives instead of Castrol.

One thing more is that they are not changing the engine oil in first service and will change the same in second service means after running the engine about 10k kms on the company filled engine oil.

My car Santro(November 2008) has completed 2500 kms and the engine oil is not changed yet so can i change the engine oil as well as filter from my own for longer engine life.

Price of SERVO HYUNDAI ENGINE OIL 15W40 in market is 425 for 3.1 ltrs and the 60 rs. for the oil filter.

Indian Oil , for SERVO HYUNDAI ENGINE OIL 15W40 product data sheet issued by Indian Oil.
Old 18th February 2009, 11:56   #55
Team-BHP Support

You can replace engine oil from any reputed brand of your liking with similar or better grade!
Old 18th February 2009, 13:05   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I would say service one in 10,000km or one year whichever is earlier. Coolant and Brake Fluid need to be changed at twice this figure, i.e., 24 months ( and 20,000km though this can be stretched).

The critical point to remember is that the maximum (i.e., High Temperature) rating of the oil is not lower than what is specified which for Hyundai Santro (AFAIK) is SAE 50. Whether you use 10W50 or 20W50 makes very little difference. Lower figures meach easiler cold starting, and somewhat faster initial circulation. Hyundai specifies API-SG so as per the new scheme of things API-SL is adequate. Magnatec is SM!
Can i go for Castrol GTX 20W50 with API SL specification but according to the Hyundai the grades and specification are different like 15W40 with API SG specifications.
Will it affect the engine performance and life?
Old 18th February 2009, 14:54   #57
Senior - BHPian

Just use 10W40 Castrol Magnatec. Forget about specifications and relax.
Old 18th February 2009, 15:13   #58
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narencar View Post
Can i go for Castrol GTX 20W50 with API SL specification but according to the Hyundai the grades and specification are different like 15W40 with API SG specifications.
Will it affect the engine performance and life?
GTX is fine. In the new scheme of things all natural oils meeting a certain minimum specification are SL (this includes SF SG etc.),semi-synthetics are SM and full synths SN.

You are Ok with GTX or Magnatec but modern engines are well made and Hyundai includes the first three services incl. two oil changes in the price. The initial fill can include additional detergents etc. for running in so I would not advise tinkering with it. A car needs about 15,000 km to be fully run in, and (unless it is an exotic) putting a semi or full synth may not be advisable for at least 10,000km.

You should do what I did - let them change the oil in the first year (services 2 & 3) as per specs. Thereafter provide your own oil (GTX/ Magnatec) at the time of service. if you are doing less than say 15,0000 per annum then service + oil change once a year or 10,000km (whichever is earlier) is all you need. Of course the brake fluid and coolant should be changed at least once in two years. I have followed this for almost 20 years with no regrets.

Since your car will have a two year warranty you may need another service (and paid oil change) at 18 months. I skipped this one!

Last edited by sgiitk : 18th February 2009 at 15:14.
Old 18th February 2009, 16:12   #59
BHPian

Guys i checked the Castrol website and the GTX Magnatec is no where mentioned as shown in the picture by SLK, They have mentioned GTX and Magnatec seperately. Magna is the Green can and GTX is the White can. Which Magnatec are you guys suggesting the one shown in my post or the GTX magnatec as sown by SLK?
Attached Thumbnails
Santro Engine Oil-magna.jpg  

Santro Engine Oil-gtx.jpg  

Old 18th February 2009, 16:26   #60
BHPian

I agree with sgiitk. I did the same thing with my Santro. Make sure you use, 20 W 40 grade for santro.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks