Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 19th February 2009, 01:21   #61
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I would say service one in 10,000km or one year whichever is earlier. Coolant and Brake Fluid need to be changed at twice this figure, i.e., 24 months ( and 20,000km though this can be stretched).

The critical point to remember is that the maximum (i.e., High Temperature) rating of the oil is not lower than what is specified which for Hyundai Santro (AFAIK) is SAE 50. Whether you use 10W50 or 20W50 makes very little difference. Lower figures meach easiler cold starting, and somewhat faster initial circulation. Hyundai specifies API-SG so as per the new scheme of things API-SL is adequate. Magnatec is SM!
Uncleji! Is't 10k kms too long for a car to be serviced.

As far as brake is concerned it mostly depends upon the usage. like in hilly areas we change much earlier.

PS: the guy is talking about servicing his brand new car.
Old 6th March 2009, 08:45   #62
BHPian

A word of advice for new car owners. It is better if you do not use synthetic oil for the first 2 or 3 oil changes. That way you let the new engine to break in nicely by allowing some friction inside it. After that you can switch to synthetic oil and enjoy their almost friction free properties.

Some recommended synthetic motor oils are Mobil 1 (considered to be the best by many), royal purple (mixed opinions), Castrol Syntec (not 100% synthetic, but as good as them), Pennzoil Platinum etc.
Old 16th March 2009, 17:32   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sujaylahiri View Post
A word of advice for new car owners. It is better if you do not use synthetic oil for the first 2 or 3 oil changes. That way you let the new engine to break in nicely by allowing some friction inside it. After that you can switch to synthetic oil and enjoy their almost friction free properties.

Some recommended synthetic motor oils are Mobil 1 (considered to be the best by many), royal purple (mixed opinions), Castrol Syntec (not 100% synthetic, but as good as them), Pennzoil Platinum etc.
Please suggest me which mobil 1 oil is suited for my 2 yr old santro. And is mobil better than castrol magnetic? Also i do very high speeds for a car with this cc and that too for hours together. My car does 1500-1800 kms a month, mostly long drives. So a good one is preferred and i dont mind the cost.

And do Hyundai Service center guys during regular service replace synthetic oil if requested? My car is due for 30000kms service.
Old 16th March 2009, 23:40   #64
SLK
Senior - BHPian

i put Mobil 1 in my 8+ year old wagonr . .. and yes its better than magnetec.

It'll cost you over 3k. . .

which mobil 1? . . how many are available?
Old 17th March 2009, 00:20   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harshavarthan View Post
Please suggest me which mobil 1 oil is suited for my 2 yr old santro. And is mobil better than castrol magnetic? Also i do very high speeds for a car with this cc and that too for hours together. My car does 1500-1800 kms a month, mostly long drives. So a good one is preferred and i dont mind the cost.

And do Hyundai Service center guys during regular service replace synthetic oil if requested? My car is due for 30000kms service.
Dude, you can't compare Mobil 1 with Magnatec... they are in totally different leagues!

But if you ask me, its not like you have to use a fully synthetic. Neither is your running very high, neither is your usage severe. Running fast on highways is actually much better for your engine & oil than usual stop-go city traffic. You can very well use a good non fully-synthetic oil and save your cash for other things.
Old 17th March 2009, 00:35   #66
Senior - BHPian

Mobil1 is fully synthetic. I don't think its usage or cost is justified on road cars, with minimal rpms and normal use.
Old 1st April 2009, 10:01   #67
BHPian

I got the engine oil & oil filter changed for my santro after 1200 kms at the hyundai service center, costed 900 rs including labour
Old 1st April 2009, 19:05   #68

does anybody know as to where can i find mobil1 or magnatec (for both my santro and wagon r) in noida.Also if possible can someone tell the the grades of oil which must be put in these cars for santro i think it is 15w40 however the manual doesnt specify it. and is 15w50 for wagon r. can anybody confirm these?
Old 7th April 2009, 17:06   #69
BHPian

ankita - its 15W40 for santro, not sure about the wagonr
Old 17th May 2010, 10:49   #70
BHPian

Hi Guys,

I am looking for a good engine oil for my 2002 santro. Till now I have been using oil filled up by the service center guys - I think they use Hyundai Servo oil 15w40.

1. Do you think putting Synthetic in Santro is justified for daily use in Mumbai road traffic with occasional high speed runs on the highway (considering that it costs almost four to five times the mineral oil cost)?
2. If so, which one is recommended and what is the price and availablility in Mumbai?
3. In case of normal mineral or semi synthetic, which one is the best performer?

Note from Mod : We have several threads on engine oils, while most queries pertaining to the Santro have already been answered on this thread. Discussion closed.

Last edited by GTO : 18th May 2010 at 10:41. Reason: Adding thread closure note
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks