Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 21st August 2011, 16:53   #1
BHPian

Lancer 1999 Diesel vibrations

Mod Note : Please continue the discussion in Our Article on Car Vibration. Thanks

Hi team,

I did search the forum for vibration issues with lancer could not get much help so started a new thread.

I own a Lancer 1999 model done 92k kilometres( cant trust the odometer), Diesel, Its a used one, when we sit inside the car the car cabin has lot of booming sound just how you feel in a flight cabin(sounds funny I know).

I got the compression checked it is good. could you please guide me if there is any good Lancer diesel mechanics in Hyderabad.

And also if any one could source me an owners manual for diesel lancer I would be grateful.

Regards

Last edited by GTO : 21st February 2013 at 10:18. Reason: Adding link to article
Old 21st August 2011, 19:12   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Lancer 1999 Diesel vibrations

Diesel engine + excessive vibrations = Engine mounts. Atleast, that's the first thing you should get checked.

Last edited by GTO : 22nd August 2011 at 08:32.
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2011, 01:47   #3
Senior - BHPian

Get the car checked for Engine mounts as suggested by GTO.

Also there is a Bar which the mechanics call the cross bar. 92K is enough time for this piece to take lot of impact and get bent. You might need a replacement for this if the vibrations are going through the body.
devarshi84 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2011, 10:01   #4
BHPian

Do you notice any excessive jerks when you start the engine or stop it? If so, as suggested by GTO and devarshi, it has to be the engine mountings.

By booming sound, I suppose you mean resonance? Does it happen at all RPMs or between some RPM range? Does it happen when you rev the engine in neutral or only when the car is in motion? If it happens while in motion, do you feel the steering wheel vibrate as well? If your wheels are well balanced, then you might need to take a look at the drive shaft joints.
SCORPION is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2011, 11:35   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Diesel engine + excessive vibrations = Engine mounts. Atleast, that's the first thing you should get checked.
Hi GTO,

yes you said the vibration is certainely felt, When I checked with the engine mounting,the rubber did not seem to look out of shape like coming out of the place or loose, the vibration is more during early mornings when the car is cold.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Get the car checked for Engine mounts as suggested by GTO.

Also there is a Bar which the mechanics call the cross bar. 92K is enough time for this piece to take lot of impact and get bent. You might need a replacement for this if the vibrations are going through the body.

Devarshi,

I don't have the knowledge what a cross bar is however I would get that checked for sure, any clue how much does it cost to get it changed as I don't want be be cheated, because the moment you use the name LANCER( I get a reply sir parts are rare and they charge bomb).

And I wanted to know, HM service stations are closed in Hyderabad, so unable to source OEM spares, any clue are these imported spares that we get in stores reliable? as I need to get a suspension overhaul.

--------------------------------------------------------
Do you notice any excessive jerks when you start the engine or stop it? If so, as suggested by GTO and devarshi, it has to be the engine mountings.

By booming sound, I suppose you mean resonance? Does it happen at all RPMs or between some RPM range? Does it happen when you rev the engine in neutral or only when the car is in motion? If it happens while in motion, do you feel the steering wheel vibrate as well? If your wheels are well balanced, then you might need to take a look at the drive shaft joints.

Scorpion,

This happens when the car is neutral there is lot of echo kind of noise in the cabin unlike diesel engine noise. its happens in low RPM, I have also got the compression checked, the fuel pump adjusted, how ever even still when the car reached 90 k mph speed, the rpm it takes to reach is high and there is rough feel in the engine and not a smooth acceleration( I have got the air filter cleaned).

I actually love the car so I don't even want to sell the same.
Old 22nd August 2011, 12:02   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster2 View Post
And I wanted to know, HM service stations are closed in Hyderabad, so unable to source OEM spares, any clue are these imported spares that we get in stores reliable? as I need to get a suspension overhaul.
Service stations closed?? Do you mean no OEM spares available for outside sale or no A.S.S itself?

In Bangalore spares are available at A.S.S SVR Motors.
coolclouds is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2011, 12:25   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
Service stations closed?? Do you mean no OEM spares available for outside sale or no A.S.S itself?

In Bangalore spares are available at A.S.S SVR Motors.

Hi coolclouds,

OEM spares are not available at all there was one Raima motors they also stopped servicing now, so I end up going to Auto stat on minister road in hyderabad, however everthing we order is suppose to be imported god knows which place, I would have loved to buy OEM parts, Any clue how are pair of Front shocks OEM for Lancer, here the cost is Rs 4100 gas shocks they are again imported ones.( I mean to say no labelling at all on the cover)
Old 22nd August 2011, 12:39   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi coolclouds,

OEM spares are not available at all there was one Raima motors they also stopped servicing now, so I end up going to Auto stat on minister road in hyderabad, however everthing we order is suppose to be imported god knows which place, I would have loved to buy OEM parts, Any clue how are pair of Front shocks OEM for Lancer, here the cost is Rs 4100 gas shocks they are again imported ones.( I mean to say no labelling at all on the cover)
I just called up SVR motors Bangalore (080 42289581) to check the prices. They quoted Rs. 2600+taxes each. You may please check with them for details.
coolclouds is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2011, 18:46   #9
BHPian

Quote:

This happens when the car is neutral there is lot of echo kind of noise in the cabin unlike diesel engine noise. its happens in low RPM, I have also got the compression checked, the fuel pump adjusted, how ever even still when the car reached 90 k mph speed, the rpm it takes to reach is high and there is rough feel in the engine and not a smooth acceleration( I have got the air filter cleaned).

I actually love the car so I don't even want to sell the same.
What do you mean by "the rpm it takes to reach is high"? Have you checked your clutch plate/clutch assembly of late?
Old 22nd August 2011, 20:23   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCORPION View Post
What do you mean by "the rpm it takes to reach is high"? Have you checked your clutch plate/clutch assembly of late?
HI Scorpion,

Yes i got my clutch free play checked and the mechanic told me its good, in fact when i took the car for fuel pump tuning the mechanic told me the engine is really good, the rough feel what I'm speaking about is you feel the car is really rough on the engine acceleration side, however that is when i switch on the Ac and drive the car. When I bought the car the it had a faulty head gasket, I got that replaced since then the car is on the rough side. apart from that the mileage is good, as well as starting the car it hardly require a single crank and the car starts in fact better than petrol.
Old 23rd August 2011, 00:03   #11
Senior - BHPian

It is expensive, yes. Easy to get yes. Get a quote and then call the service center in other cities for the price of the same.

But instead of self diagnosis get the conclusion from the mechanic. Let them tell you what the fault really is and how much it would cost.
devarshi84 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2011, 00:10   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Any clue how are pair of Front shocks OEM for Lancer, here the cost is Rs 4100 gas shocks they are again imported ones.( I mean to say no labelling at all on the cover)
Last year I replaced both front shockers with Gabriel on my Lancer - they are crap. Next time I will certainly go for gas filled.

4100/- sounds like aftermarket struts. Ask them if it's of KYB Japan.
Here are the latest prices at Pune's A$$
Front shocks: OEM Indian (Gabriel oil filled) - 2600/- each
Front shocks: OEM Japanese (KYB gas filled) - 12000/- each
Rear shocks: OEM Japanese (KYB gas filled) - 5700/- each

No option to put Indian OEM rear shockers - HM gave up on Gabriel even though Gabriel has a technical tie up with KYB Japan.

Same is the case with coil over struts. HM gave up on Indian OEM coils that were just 1100/- each. Now the A$$ offers some imported OEM brand of coils that are 16000/- for a set of 4 !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
I just called up SVR motors Bangalore (080 42289581) to check the prices. They quoted Rs. 2600+taxes each. You may please check with them for details.
Those are oil filled Gabriel.
Along with the front shocks they will also replace the thin bearing above the strut. Costs 180/- each.

Labour charges will be 350/- for both front struts replacement + extra for wheel alignment and balancing.

Quote:
When I checked with the engine mounting,the rubber did not seem to look out of shape like coming out of the place or loose
As GTO suggested, get the engine mounts replaced. The rubber moulding becomes hard and oversized. There are 2 mounts but the driver side mount is usually replaced. It cost the previous owner 2800/- plus labour charges. That was in May 2010 and I have all the bills to refer.

BTW, my car is at the A$$ for a minor denting/painting job. Let me know if you need any specific info.

Last edited by Chewbacca : 23rd August 2011 at 00:16.
Chewbacca is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2011, 19:45   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
Last year I replaced both front shockers with Gabriel on my Lancer - they are crap. Next time I will certainly go for gas filled.

4100/- sounds like aftermarket struts. Ask them if it's of KYB Japan.
Here are the latest prices at Pune's A$$
Front shocks: OEM Indian (Gabriel oil filled) - 2600/- each
Front shocks: OEM Japanese (KYB gas filled) - 12000/- each
Rear shocks: OEM Japanese (KYB gas filled) - 5700/- each

No option to put Indian OEM rear shockers - HM gave up on Gabriel even though Gabriel has a technical tie up with KYB Japan.

Same is the case with coil over struts. HM gave up on Indian OEM coils that were just 1100/- each. Now the A$$ offers some imported OEM brand of coils that are 16000/- for a set of 4 !!!

Those are oil filled Gabriel.
Along with the front shocks they will also replace the thin bearing above the strut. Costs 180/- each.

Labour charges will be 350/- for both front struts replacement + extra for wheel alignment and balancing.

As GTO suggested, get the engine mounts replaced. The rubber moulding becomes hard and oversized. There are 2 mounts but the driver side mount is usually replaced. It cost the previous owner 2800/- plus labour charges. That was in May 2010 and I have all the bills to refer.

BTW, my car is at the A$$ for a minor denting/painting job. Let me know if you need any specific info.
Hi Chewbacca

Thank you so much for the detailed message, I have to go and check which brand are the after market, yes I'm sure they are gas shocks as i inquired that with two guys, I need to get the car completely checked, yes its an old machine so to be honest if i start getting the same repaired at A.S.S it is going to get the same cost that of a car, so I guess going to a decent mechanic and getting the work completed would be better choice, I checked with one of the service station n Hyderabad they said they don't sell spares counter sale so I don't have much options in Hyderabad. Ill get the car completely checked this month end that is next week and update.
Old 28th August 2011, 21:00   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
as well as starting the car it hardly require a single crank and the car starts in fact better than petrol.
Yes. This is what I have experienced in my Lancer and two more Lancers ( a cousin's and a friend's ) that I drove. I have driven all sorts of cars in all these years but I am yet to come across a car which starts as well as a Lancer diesel does. Those who have never started a Lancer should try it sometime. I wonder if there is another car in this whole world, from a Nano to an RR which starts as quickly as a Lancer diesel does. Mine starts if you so much as touch the key. I am so much spoiled by it that I have tough time starting friends cars of other make. I crank and crank and crank before these other cars fire up. Don't know where lies the difference. BTW, it starts same --- summer, winter, in rains and starting after 15 days. Just wonderfull.

Reg your other problems, as GTO mentioned,, it must be engine and gearbox mounts. Get them sorted out and you won't need to go to a garage for next 10 years. 92K is peanuts for this car. If looked after well, 5 lakh KMs will come and go and it will run almost same as it is now.

Last edited by pgsagar : 28th August 2011 at 21:04.
Old 28th August 2011, 23:07   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
Yes. This is what I have experienced in my Lancer and two more Lancers ( a cousin's and a friend's ) that I drove. I have driven all sorts of cars in all these years but I am yet to come across a car which starts as well as a Lancer diesel does. Those who have never started a Lancer should try it sometime. I wonder if there is another car in this whole world, from a Nano to an RR which starts as quickly as a Lancer diesel does. Mine starts if you so much as touch the key. I am so much spoiled by it that I have tough time starting friends cars of other make. I crank and crank and crank before these other cars fire up. Don't know where lies the difference. BTW, it starts same --- summer, winter, in rains and starting after 15 days. Just wonderfull.

Reg your other problems, as GTO mentioned,, it must be engine and gearbox mounts. Get them sorted out and you won't need to go to a garage for next 10 years. 92K is peanuts for this car. If looked after well, 5 lakh KMs will come and go and it will run almost same as it is now.

HI Pgsagar,

Glad that you share the similar joy, yes ofcourse, Im saving my budget to fix the car completely, I am actually looking out for a Lancers owners manual and front bumper setup, As I just fixed the new fender lining still something from the front bumper to the Lining is not getting connected, as in there is a bracket or something missing, neither of my mechanics are able to figure out.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks