Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 28th August 2011, 15:01   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento - User Discovered Features and Quirks

[quote=rajeev k;2484484]
Quote:
Do you mean that the AC can run on the battery. No it can't.
If you wait long enough , it can . In most other cars , the AC turns on immediately without any lag that Vento has built in

Quote:
Originally Posted by julupani View Post
I believe almost all of the features mentioned above would be present in almost all of the present generation cars, in some form or other. The only features which seem to be on the Vento and not on the others are the internal motion sensor and optimal gear indicator.
Maybe .. but not in one car and certainly not in this segment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Set the speed to your desired limit and once it's crossed it beeps. A speed limiter kind of thing. This way one can limit the cars speed. Pretty useful feature although it can easily be tampered.

Thanks for pointing it out . Thats a nice feature too though I doubt whether I will ever let that out to my wife
souravc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2011, 15:08   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nileshch View Post
At the signal, I switched off the ignition and the headlights switched off too.
So while restarting, the lights would come on first or is it after the engine is started with some interlocks.
The Fiats/Premiers had such an interlock. Headlights would be ON only if the ignition is turned on. But this had a problem, the head lights would be on while cranking overloading the battery as starter motor takes almost the full amp rating of the battery.
Old 28th August 2011, 15:30   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by souravc View Post

Maybe .. but not in one car and certainly not in this segment.

My family has a Punto Emotion Pack, which has almost all the features that you talked about, except for

1. Optimal gear indicator
2. Beep with handbrake on (not much point since visual cue is present)
3. Motion Sensor
4. Remote Boot release(present on Linea)
5. Power window operation after switch off

Out of these, only the last one is truly of use on a regular basis. And in that vein, the Linea, Fiesta, Verna all have a plethora of such features, just like the Vento. I can think of one very very helpful feature set which my family's Punto has but the Vento doesnt, ie usb port, bluetooth connectivity and voice activated controls. In the Vento's segment, I believe all cars have bluetooth connectivity and usb port, while the Linea and Fiesta have voice activated controls as well.

This is not to criticise the Vento, which I happen to like quite a lot. But I expected a list of really unusual features. Instead I found a list of features, most of which were present on our car, which is more than 2lakhs cheaper.

Last edited by julupani : 28th August 2011 at 15:32.
julupani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2011, 16:02   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My family has a Punto Emotion Pack, which has almost all the features that you talked about, except for

3. Motion Sensor
6. Rolling up / down of windows with the remote lock
7. ACC which switches on with a lag
8. Locks with memory

Quote:
Out of these, only the last one is truly of use on a regular basis.
Most of us use much more than one out of the ones listed out in the opening remarks and subsequent additions by other users [/quote]

Quote:
And in that vein, the Linea, Fiesta, Verna all have a plethora of such features, just like the Vento. I can think of one very very helpful feature set which my family's Punto has but the Vento doesnt, ie usb port, bluetooth connectivity and voice activated controls. In the Vento's segment, I believe all cars have bluetooth connectivity and usb port, while the Linea and Fiesta have voice activated controls as well.
Lack of USB and Bluetooth in the stock car has been debated and discussed quite a bit , for people who cannot live without it have upgraded the HU - not a difficult solution. If you would notice , this thread is about what is already there in the car and not about what is absent .
IMO Voice operated controls is a lot of jazz without practicality - not a differentiator .
Quote:
But I expected a list of really unusual features. Instead I found a list of features, most of which were present on our car, which is more than 2lakhs cheaper.
Sorry to disappoint you but I differ . I guess many of us Vento owners would find this list pretty useful and thats what matters - its a collective effort after mutual discussions . Good luck with the Fiats , hope the features at 2 lakhs less price make them sell better instead of the pathetic month on month show
souravc is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th August 2011, 16:17   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
6. Rolling up / down of windows with the remote lock
7. ACC which switches on with a lag
8. Locks with memory

Most of us use much more than one out of the ones listed out in the opening remarks and subsequent additions by other users

Lack of USB and Bluetooth in the stock car has been debated and discussed quite a bit , for people who cannot live without it have upgraded the HU - not a difficult solution. If you would notice , this thread is about what is already there in the car and not about what is absent .
IMO Voice operated controls is a lot of jazz without practicality - not a differentiator .
Sorry to disappoint you but I differ . I guess many of us Vento owners would find this list pretty useful and thats what matters - its a collective effort after mutual discussions . Good luck with the Fiats , hope the features at 2 lakhs less price make them sell better instead of the pathetic month on month show[/quote]

ACC lag is really an odd feature, not much use either. I will tell you why, unless the engine actually starts, the compressor is not running. So when you put the key in on position, only the fan starts with battery power. Only once the engine starts does the compressor and thus the air conditioning actually start. So I really dont understand the point of this feature.

Like I said, I never said the features listed are not useful. Or that the Vento is a worse car than any others.And as for voice activated controls, is not a lot of jaaz, but has a lot of practicality. Whenever I drive, I can control my music player from a single botton on the wheel.

But I am saying, that most the above features are actually standard nowadays. And I was searching for a feature list of unique and truly useful features, rather than a mundane list of stuff like auto-lock, auto light switch off, remote boot open etc. which are found all over the place. Everybody would know about these things. So let's talk about stuff that most people, both owner's and admirers, would like to know about the Vento.
Old 28th August 2011, 17:00   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
ACC lag is really an odd feature, not much use either. I will tell you why, unless the engine actually starts, the compressor is not running. So when you put the key in on position, only the fan starts with battery power. Only once the engine starts does the compressor and thus the air conditioning actually start. So I really dont understand the point of this feature.
Do you consider that the fan drains the battery ? When does the compressor start in your car ? The moment you start the car or with a lag ? Ask those questions , you would understand the feature .

Quote:
Like I said, I never said the features listed are not useful. Or that the Vento is a worse car than any others.And as for voice activated controls, is not a lot of jaaz, but has a lot of practicality. Whenever I drive, I can control my music player from a single botton on the wheel.
Like song 6 , volume 7 ? or Temp 22, fan speed 2 ? Much rather beam me up scottie, warp drive countdown starts - No thanks !

Quote:
But I am saying, that most the above features are actually standard nowadays. And I was searching for a feature list of unique and truly useful features, rather than a mundane list of stuff like auto-lock, auto light switch off, remote boot open etc. which are found all over the place. Everybody would know about these things. So let's talk about stuff that most people, both owner's and admirers, would like to know about the Vento.
Like ?? Blue Tooth and USB are the 2 features that you mentioned and there's nothing cutting edge about those too. Lack of voice operated controls aren't being lamented about by many of us - at least thats not the feedback that we get from the forum.
souravc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2011, 17:08   #22
Senior - BHPian

[quote=souravc;2484745]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
If you wait long enough , it can . In most other cars , the AC turns on immediately without any lag that Vento has built in
Quote:
I will tell you why, unless the engine actually starts, the compressor is not running. So when you put the key in on position, only the fan starts
I was asking the same point in the earlier post. No car AC works on batteries. Even in a 2lac Alto, this protection exists.
Old 28th August 2011, 17:37   #23
Senior - BHPian

[quote=rajeev k;2484831]
Quote:
I was asking the same point in the earlier post. No car AC works on batteries. Even in a 2lac Alto, this protection exists.
I have explained the difference in my earlier post - noted that you own a Swift which was my earlier drive . In a Swift one has to switch off the AC before switching off the ignition else when the car is restarted the fan starts running the moment the electricals are switched on and the compressor is switched on simultaneously when the ignition cranks - in a Vento , the starting mayhem blowsover and then the ACC kicks in leisurely . Maybe you should try it out in a Vento to understand it better.
Old 28th August 2011, 17:50   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
@julupani - what makes you think most owners would know about these features? I didn't. Check the last 3-4 pages of vento thread, and you'll see a lot of users expressing ignorance about some of the features. I have shared this thread with a vento owner (owning for 3+ months) and he didn't know about half the features.
In fact after reading your posts I just spoke to a punto 90bhp buyer, a team-bhp member who just booked his punto a week back, he wasn't aware all these features are there on his punto - the SE never informed him.

And in terms of
new features, this is after all a 10lakh car not a bmw or merc. Atleast it is fulfilling (most of) the basic features an owner would want of a c-sedan car, not unlike the NFF or ANHV which is seeing a lot of debates on their respective threads.

And in terms of voice activated features useability, steering mounted buttons would be far more useful, a feature that the vento sorely lacks, and one that has been well discussed and cribbed upon; and one that VW hopefully has considered in the face-lifted vento (if and whenever it comes).

Let's stop this OT discussion, and let the thread serve its purpose.

Last edited by ninjatalli : 28th August 2011 at 17:56.
Old 28th August 2011, 18:01   #25
Senior - BHPian

[quote=souravc;2484853]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post

I have explained the difference in my earlier post - noted that you own a Swift which was my earlier drive . In a Swift one has to switch off the AC before switching off the ignition else when the car is restarted....
The AC compressor power supply will interrupt while cranking and will be resumed only when the ignition key is released. The difference between Vento and other car is only, probably the delay provided.
See my first post again, I said no car AC works from the battery.
Old 28th August 2011, 19:15   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I have explained the difference in my earlier post - noted that you own a Swift which was my earlier drive . In a Swift one has to switch off the AC before switching off the ignition else when the car is restarted the fan starts running the moment the electricals are switched on and the compressor is switched on simultaneously when the ignition cranks - in a Vento , the starting mayhem blowsover and then the ACC kicks in leisurely . Maybe you should try it out in a Vento to understand it better.
I really dont understand, what is the problem in running the compressor the moment the engine starts. I would much rather have the cooling start as soon as possible rather than having any amount of delay. The compressor is as it is disconnected during cranking of the engine, to help decrease the load on the starter motor. As for draining of battery by the fan, I really dont care how much battery is used up as long as the battery gives me decent life of a couple of years. The battery at the end of the day is recharged by the alternator anyway, so I dont really care much about loss of charge.

So, I maintain, I dont understand the need for this feature at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
@julupani - what makes you think most owners would know about these features? I didn't. Check the last 3-4 pages of vento thread, and you'll see a lot of users expressing ignorance about some of the features. I have shared this thread with a vento owner (owning for 3+ months) and he didn't know about half the features.
In fact after reading your posts I just spoke to a punto 90bhp buyer, a team-bhp member who just booked his punto a week back, he wasn't aware all these features are there on his punto - the SE never informed him.
Well, dont know about that. But I imagine most people would actually know. If they dont, then definitely we can list all features. By the way, most of the standard features are listed in the test drive threads as well.

Last edited by julupani : 28th August 2011 at 19:18.
Old 28th August 2011, 21:15   #27
BHPian

Quote:

3. Motion Sensor

Out of these, only the last one is truly of use on a regular basis. And in that vein, the Linea, Fiesta, Verna all have a plethora of such features, just like the Vento. I can think of one very very helpful feature set which my family's Punto has but the Vento doesnt, ie usb port, bluetooth connectivity and voice activated controls. In the Vento's segment, I believe all cars have bluetooth connectivity and usb port, while the Linea and Fiesta have voice activated controls as well.

This is not to criticise the Vento, which I happen to like quite a lot. But I expected a list of really unusual features. Instead I found a list of features, most of which were present on our car, which is more than 2lakhs cheaper.
I own a Punto MJD E+ and currently in the market for a diesel sedan. I am following all Vento threads these days. When these features were discussed on Vento threads, I knew many of them were available in Punto which is a segment lower than Vento.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
@julupani - what makes you think most owners would know about these features? I didn't.
I completely agree with Ninja here. There are many Punto owners who are unaware of these features. So its good to document such features for the benefit of larger audience. It also helps prospective buyers of the car in their decision making process.

Now that I know Vento has more features including most of the Punto features (barring USB/Blue&Me/Steering controls), it tops my list of diesel sedans I would like to upgrade to.

BTW Vento owners, does Vento have 'Follow Me Home' headlights?

I find the feature really useful in following conditions:
1. When I return home (late night), most of the lights in the basement parking are switched off.
2. When I visit my native place, driveways there are not well lit.

Last edited by Rock 'n' rollz : 28th August 2011 at 21:16.
Old 28th August 2011, 23:02   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock 'n' rollz View Post
BTW Vento owners, does Vento have 'Follow Me Home' headlights?

I find the feature really useful in following conditions:
1. When I return home (late night), most of the lights in the basement parking are switched off.
2. When I visit my native place, driveways there are not well lit.
"Follow Me Home" headlights are not there in the Vento , its there in Jetta onwards

@julupani - You don't find the feature useful, fair enough - thats your opinion which you are entitled to. A lot of us find it useful and thats our opinion and I guess since we are users of the feature and we are even more entitled to it . Peace out .
Old 28th August 2011, 23:04   #29
Senior - BHPian

@ Rock n Rollz
In case you want to upgrade to a Vento this thread should ideally have no influence on your buying decision.

You should buy a car not on the basis of features it has. Yes features are good to have but the most important thing is how good the basic car is? How does it perform, How does it handle, does it have ample space, is the built quality good, is the maintenance expensive, and most importantly is it good to drive.

What I mean to say is this is a thread to help Vento owners get acquainted to the minute, insignificant, hidden features in their car. For everything else there is the official test drive forum.

So those who are saying "these features are also present in my car which is one or 2 segments lower", this thread is not meant for comparison of features with the competitors.
We all admit Vento is a little less feature rich specially when pitted against fluidic and NFF. But do we really miss those voice activated controls and stuff. I think not.
oxyzen is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th August 2011, 00:46   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen
@ Rock n Rollz
In case you want to upgrade to a Vento this thread should ideally have no influence on your buying decision.

You should buy a car not on the basis of features it has. Yes features are good to have but the most important thing is how good the basic car is? How does it perform, How does it handle, does it have ample space, is the built quality good, is the maintenance expensive, and most importantly is it good to drive.

What I mean to say is this is a thread to help Vento owners get acquainted to the minute, insignificant, hidden features in their car. For everything else there is the official test drive forum.

So those who are saying "these features are also present in my car which is one or 2 segments lower", this thread is not meant for comparison of features with the competitors.
We all admit Vento is a little less feature rich specially when pitted against fluidic and NFF. But do we really miss those voice activated controls and stuff. I think not.
+100 to that.

This thread is not to boost how good a vento is compared to other cars (feature wise) and is also not for members to come and question "what is so great about this feature or oh my 4 lac car also has most of it". The creator of the thread has taken lot of efforts to compile to help other vento (&polo) owners and it's not just helping a regular vento Joe but also a vento "lover" (even a tbhpian) who wasn't aware of some features.

Btw lot of features in the car are not explained and assumed to be present, this car also has a share of that and we are here to learn and then use them.

Most Viewed