Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 26th November 2012, 09:49   #391
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli

Works like a charm for my android mobile; will test BB & Apple phones later to see if this method works with them too.
I had tried this with my iPhone and it didn't work.
Old 26th November 2012, 09:59   #392
Senior - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento - User Discovered Features and Quirks

I dont know if it has been covered already but few more quirks of the RCD310 system:

1. In radio (FM) mode, the Mute button on the steering acts like a Mute button
2. In Media (USB) mode, the Mute button acts like a Pause button! The song actually pauses playing instead of just muting.
Old 26th November 2012, 10:09   #393
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Works like a charm for my android mobile; will test BB & Apple phones later to see if this method works with them too.
Just tried with my Galaxy note running ice cream sandwich and it failed to play songs through it, though it started charging the phone. RCD310 showed "Media not functional"

For Apple i think it needs that MDI cable to work.

Also that holding phone button on steering for 2 secs to change sources doesnt work for me, would try checking if BT phone is off and see if it works.

Last edited by coolboy007 : 26th November 2012 at 10:14.
Old 26th November 2012, 10:16   #394
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
I dont know if it has been covered already but few more quirks of the RCD310 system:

1. In radio (FM) mode, the Mute button on the steering acts like a Mute button
2. In Media (USB) mode, the Mute button acts like a Pause button! The song actually pauses playing instead of just muting.
Ah, yes. Very useful, I must add.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
Just tried with my Galaxy note running ice cream sandwich and it failed to play songs through it, though it started charging the phone. RCD310 showed "Media not functional"
Did you check what mode your phone is when the cable is connected? My phone (ICS OS) by default selects the "Media device (MTP)" option; I need to enable the "Mount SD card" option in the settings. In the former, the phone charges, but doesn't register as a SD card for the car player.

Quote:
For Apple i think it needs that MDI cable to work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikas Arora View Post
I had tried this with my iPhone and it didn't work.
Aww shucks. Anyway I had bought the usb cable (for apple) long back, but had never tested the phone with the car using the usb cable
Old 26th November 2012, 10:26   #395
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Did you check what mode your phone is when the cable is connected? My phone (ICS OS) by default selects the "Media device (MTP)" option; I need to enable the "Mount SD card" option in the settings. In the former, the phone charges, but doesn't register as a SD card for the car player.
Thanks, yes you are right. It automatically goes to MTP option but i will check it out with the Mount SD card option, dont have a SD card at present , never needed one.
Old 27th November 2012, 13:02   #396

I just locked my brand new vento highline AT of 2013 model. Got out of the car , with the spare key left under the dash, locked the car doors. Opened the boot to take some stuff out and dropped the orig. key in there just before shutting the boot close. You won't believe how sheepish I felt after that and the feeling hasn't left me yet. These are the options I have:

1. Break open any glass on the driver, passenger or rear door. The doors can be unlocked from inside (May trigger the alarm) . The local service center has all glasses available and said would cost me not more than 1.5K to get a replacement with labour and taxes. Haven't had the heart to do it to my 2 day old vento :(

2. Get a locksmith to try open the boot door. But, if the lock is damaged apparently it could cost a bomb to get that fixed and warranty won't cover.

3. Someone said there's a cable that runs just above the rear mudflap which can be accessed from the undercarriage but requires a bit of work. snipping that cable deactivates central locking. But that may void electrical warranty.

These I thought of but are not an option:

1. getting a duplicate key only for the boot. The dealership says not possible.
2. Accessing from the front to the dash. Not possible.
3. Opening the small glass panel beading next to the C pillar. Cost around 2.5K. 1 above is a more economical solution.
4. I've a couple of neighbors who own the 2012 vento and have requested them for their keys to try open the boot. Just in case , hoping against all odds.

My questions:
1. Can I wish for a miracle or a solution that doesn't cause any damage to my car, risk the warranty and still get it opened again?
2. Can the doors be indeed unlocked from inside even when door lock is engaged using the remote?

Any other suggestions. I've given myself till end of this week to decide. Until then I will just watch my motionless car sitting in my car park and feel sheepish. Please help!!!
Old 27th November 2012, 14:05   #397
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by re-dfine View Post
I just locked my brand new vento highline AT of 2013 model. Got out of the car , with the spare key left under the dash, locked the car doors. Opened the boot to take some stuff out and dropped the orig. key in there just before shutting the boot close. You won't believe how sheepish I felt after that and the feeling hasn't left me yet. These are the options I have:

1. Break open any glass on the driver, passenger or rear door. The doors can be unlocked from inside (May trigger the alarm) . The local service center has all glasses available and said would cost me not more than 1.5K to get a replacement with labour and taxes. Haven't had the heart to do it to my 2 day old vento :(

2. Get a locksmith to try open the boot door. But, if the lock is damaged apparently it could cost a bomb to get that fixed and warranty won't cover.

3. Someone said there's a cable that runs just above the rear mudflap which can be accessed from the undercarriage but requires a bit of work. snipping that cable deactivates central locking. But that may void electrical warranty.
This certainly is not a good situation to be in (and specifically when its just a 2 day old car!). Anyways i would not recommend option 2 & 3. You will risk your warranty and the subsequent repair may cost a bomb. For the time being option 1 appears to be the best (no warranty hassles & not too expensive).

Quote:
4. I've a couple of neighbors who own the 2012 vento and have requested them for their keys to try open the boot. Just in case , hoping against all odds.
Don't try this since it can damage the lock.

Quote:
My questions:
2. Can the doors be indeed unlocked from inside even when door lock is engaged using the remote?
Yes this is possible.

I am sure VW would have some means of pairing a new remote with their vehicles though i am not sure whether they would have shared this with the dealers. Secondly, a lot also depends on how far the dealer is wiling to go to help you in this situation.

I google'd a bit and found this site that explains a lot on lost car keys (specifically for VW customers):
http://www.autokeysquad.com/replace-...witchblade-fob

All the best!
Old 27th November 2012, 14:42   #398

Thanks but can't find any equivalent service as Autokeysquad in bangalore for VW keys. The dealership says I can't get a simple laser cut key to open the boot. I don't need to program the key , I just want to unlock the boot using the key. A duplicate key has to come with remote is what I'm told and will cost upwards of 10k.

Its not the cost of the breaking and replacing the glass. I'm averse to the idea of them opening up the door panel and refitting the glass. Every time someone touches your car its vulnerable to other damages. This is not a very usual service routine either.
Old 27th November 2012, 15:30   #399
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks but can't find any equivalent service as Autokeysquad in bangalore for VW keys. The dealership says I can't get a simple laser cut key to open the boot. I don't need to program the key , I just want to unlock the boot using the key. A duplicate key has to come with remote is what I'm told and will cost upwards of 10k.

Its not the cost of the breaking and replacing the glass. I'm averse to the idea of them opening up the door panel and refitting the glass. Every time someone touches your car its vulnerable to other damages. This is not a very usual service routine either.
This is really very peculiar situation re-dfine. I guess the only solution would be to cut the side glass. As you've written teh service center has this part in stock so you can get it replaced. 1500 is reasonably OK price since your other alternatives can turn out to be far more costly if anything bad happens.

Only yesterday my wife told me an incident from her younger days when they locked their uncle's car while playing who had come to visit them! He had to travel 300KM to his home and back to procure the second key!

This incident made me wonder if there could be a way to pair the key with your mobile phone and it be possible to use your phone to send a signal to the key to open the door should the key be left inside! It should be possible to do something like that. Let me now source a VC to fund my startup
Old 27th November 2012, 16:08   #400
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I just locked my brand new vento highline AT of 2013 model. Got out of the car , with the spare key left under the dash, locked the car doors.

Citing from the VW website. They list on dipatch of spare key. You could check up with them on this.

Quote:
Volkswagen India Assistance

Car Services:
  • Dispatch of spare keys in case of loss

http://www.volkswagen.co.in/en/value...ssistance.html
Old 27th November 2012, 16:38   #401
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I just locked my brand new vento highline AT of 2013 model.
Option 1 seems the best option for you. Don't lose too many grey hairs on this - just take your car to the workshop and let them do it for you. You might be charged an extra bit as compared to the local workshop; but overall the peace of mind would be there as they should take of other problems when the window is broken
- alarm going off/immobilizer getting activated
- spare parts availability

Also as another option, does your insurance cover have the loss of key cover enabled? Several insurance companies offer that option, for an additional amount. If yes, then you should opt for getting a new key. But expect delay in procuring the same.
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2012, 16:54   #402
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Citing from the VW website. They list on dipatch of spare key. You could check up with them on this.

Isn't that the one costing 10K per re-dfine? It appears breaking the window glass seems to be the easiest choice given the circumstances.

@re-dfine, I understand the feeling on the new car, but think of it as a bitter pill and swallow it sooner rather than to prolong the agony.
Old 27th November 2012, 16:59   #403
Senior - BHPian

re-dfine it would be better if you'd use a glass cutter rather than smash the window. will be clean and might not trigger any alarms. Then you can just insert your hand inside the car and pick up the key and then drive to the service center (hopefully you know which ones are good here and which ones arent
Old 27th November 2012, 17:32   #404

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post

Yes, I enquired. But, that only covers fetching your spare key from your residence or city in case you are far out of town. That's what the RSA adviser told me.
Old 27th November 2012, 17:38   #405

Quote:
Option 1 seems the best option for you. Don't lose too many grey hairs on this - just take your car to the workshop and let them do it for you. You might be charged an extra bit as compared to the local workshop; but overall the peace of mind would be there as they should take of other problems when the window is broken
- alarm going off/immobilizer getting activated
- spare parts availability

Also as another option, does your insurance cover have the loss of key cover enabled? Several insurance companies offer that option, for an additional amount. If yes, then you should opt for getting a new key. But expect delay in procuring the same.
I'm surprised the service adviser never mentioned about the immobilizer kicking in. If I then try to use the original key the engine should crank right? Alarm, I can handle, I guess by unlock, lock, unlock sequence?? I can ask the RSA guys to do the dirty work for me, I suppose.

Now as an alternative , I'm thinking why not pay that 1k extra and neatly remove and refix the glass on the c pillar. Advantage, no breaking in, clean opening and re-fixing and no need to open up the door panel to fix the glass back in. All, I need is for RSA to tow my car to the service center.

Most Viewed