Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 27th November 2012, 19:25   #406
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento - User Discovered Features and Quirks

Quote:
Originally Posted by re-dfine View Post
I'm surprised the service adviser never mentioned about the immobilizer kicking in. If I then try to use the original key the engine should crank right? Alarm, I can handle, I guess by unlock, lock, unlock sequence?? I can ask the RSA guys to do the dirty work for me, I suppose.
If you are able to access the original key by cutting the window glass (or dismantling it), that key should work just like any other day. Since the new Vento models (after the second update) do not have the motion detectors inside the cabin, you can get away by simply accessing the dash through the window.
Old 27th November 2012, 19:52   #407

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
re-dfine it would be better if you'd use a glass cutter rather than smash the window. will be clean and might not trigger any alarms. Then you can just insert your hand inside the car and pick up the key and then drive to the service center (hopefully you know which ones are good here and which ones arent
Can tempered automotive glasses be cut with a glass cutter? Aren't they designed to shatter instead.
Old 27th November 2012, 21:59   #408
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by re-dfine View Post
Can tempered automotive glasses be cut with a glass cutter? Aren't they designed to shatter instead.
Have to admit I have no idea about this! Maybe the service people can clarify if thats the case. You can ask them how they would remove the glass themselves without disturbing the electronics in the car!
Old 27th November 2012, 23:42   #409
BHPian

My front passenger glass was replaced once after some burglar broke into. Thanks to the alarms going off, he ran without doing further damage. Whilst the replacement cost was low at 1500, i hear loud wind noise from that side at speeds in excess of 80. That problem is yet to be fixed. Taking my car tomorrow to workshop for a mounting change too, which hopefully should address the issue. So, don't tamper the window glasses, etc, just try the quarter glass, wonder how you will unlock the door still. Too bad for u. Best of luck.
Old 28th November 2012, 13:24   #410

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisiddiqui View Post
My front passenger glass was replaced once after some burglar broke into. Thanks to the alarms going off, he ran without doing further damage. Whilst the replacement cost was low at 1500, i hear loud wind noise from that side at speeds in excess of 80. That problem is yet to be fixed. Taking my car tomorrow to workshop for a mounting change too, which hopefully should address the issue. So, don't tamper the window glasses, etc, just try the quarter glass, wonder how you will unlock the door still. Too bad for u. Best of luck.
Thanks Alisiddiqui. I asked the service adviser about the quarter glass replacement and he said its a very labor and time consuming job. The trims inside the pillar have to be removed and may require removal of the the body panel as well. He swears by replacing the window glass and says its easy and less risky. So, I'm confused again
Old 28th November 2012, 23:02   #411
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by re-dfine

Thanks Alisiddiqui. I asked the service adviser about the quarter glass replacement and he said its a very labor and time consuming job. The trims inside the pillar have to be removed and may require removal of the the body panel as well. He swears by replacing the window glass and says its easy and less risky. So, I'm confused again
Guess what. Today i was at the workshop and my car still is. They changed the channel on which the glass sits and dint help. Now they say need to change the entire bidding thingy around the glass which costs around 10k. I dint have time today and will speak to them tomorrow again. Believe me, the simple glass change also isnt turning out to be so simple. How much would getting duplicate keys cost. Try that only. I am sure that happens a lot.
Old 29th November 2012, 06:53   #412
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by re-dfine

Why not just break open the front windshield? It can be replaced under insurance?

Did you try calling windshield experts to see if they can help? Doesn't the old scale trick not work with vento?
Old 29th November 2012, 07:47   #413
Senior - BHPian

Guys pls. hold on.

The easy way is to visit a well know car electrician.
Remove the Right Front wheel. Identify the wiring going to Power windows module from the Engine bay and snap the exact wire and short circuit that wire.
One of window glass will roll down and the rest is history.

The same thing was done in an i10 and we were successfully able to get the keys which were inside the car. The job costed 500 bucks done by helpline guy from Hyundai.

Just my two cents
Ramsagar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2012, 08:29   #414
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsagar
Remove the Right Front wheel. Identify the wiring going to Power windows module from the Engine bay and snap the exact wire and short circuit that wire.
One of window glass will roll down and the rest is history.

Just my two cents
A dumb question - Why would there be any power window wiring going to the engine bay? As far as I know all circuits (switches,motors) related to power window system would be within the door panel or under the dash (connections to ECU). The only cable related to power window system coming from engine bay would be the power cable and it is very much possible that this power cable is powering some other circuits as well.
Old 6th December 2012, 17:30   #415

Folks thanks for all your helpful suggestions. Just thought of updating the thread with the latest status on the lockout issue.

I sent multiple emails/ made numerous phone calls to volkswagen india , so they sympathize with my case where a brand new car just delivered from the dealership got locked out, albeit due to my negligence, as a one time gesture. I requested them to provide a spare manual key to unlock the boot so I didn't have to go through any invasive step. I'm sorry to tell you that I didn't even hear back from them once. It only shows , that even though these brands operate globally, when it comes to India the same non-challant "chalta hain" attitude goes. Even though if you see we pay much more for the same cars compared to abroad. However, with some faint hope, I was actually expecting someone to at least get in touch with me from VW India. Alas, that didn't happen to my chagrin.

Finally I decided to go for the most economical and least risky option, considering the warranty provisions etc. and broke open the rear passenger glass. Got that fixed and haven't heard any rattling, squeaks since then . Fingers crossed. However, I noticed, that in the 2013 Vento, I could just pull the door lever after smashing the glass and no alarm got triggered. I guess that sensor, anti tow / lift , alarm was a good feature which VW got rid of for unkown reasons. I will be worried about keeping anything visible in the passenger area which could attract thieves from now on.
re-dfine is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th December 2012, 23:09   #416
BHPian

My Warm greetings to all Vento Lovers

Great to see you people converse every minute facets of the legendary German power horse.

I also own one (2012 Model Vento Highline Diesel) and I believe I am at right place to shoot my queries.

OK, I did notice this couple of times. When I arm the remote lock, I see that one of the parking light remains ON. I did notice this and waited for some 5 minutes but it remains ON. Therefore, I have to unlock the car, put the key and then turn to the first position of ignition without starting the engine, and then simply turn the key back to its off position to divest yourself of with this issue. I am sure many of you have noted this and should be knowing the reason why so.

In addition, the next one is austerely Off Topic.

I am still a newbie in all aspects with regard to Team-BHP website and my hunt within the forum did not return me a KIIRUS Remapped Vento. There is Rapid, but no Vento’s.

If you find one, please help me out by posting the link.

LOTHAR
Old 11th December 2012, 10:05   #417
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty_Lothar View Post
OK, I did notice this couple of times. When I arm the remote lock, I see that one of the parking light remains ON. I did notice this and waited for some 5 minutes but it remains ON.
Quoting from the first post of Souravc, this is a feature on european cars while parking.

Lights (Headlight / Parking / Indicator / Cabin Lights)
  • If one switches off the car’s ignition with the indicator lights on (i.e. the indicator stalk is engaged to show that one is taking a turn) and arms the remote lock, the parking lights would remain on.
Cheers!
Old 11th December 2012, 10:30   #418
BHPian

Thanks Volkman10.

Yes, I am of the same mind if one switches off the car’s ignition with the indicator lights on.

Nevertheless, in my case, the indicator lights are not turned on. The car’s ignition is OFF and what happens is ONLY 1 of the Parking light remains on. The other parking light is off. I have noticed this in couple of occasions.

LOTHAR
Old 11th December 2012, 11:14   #419
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
OK, I did notice this couple of times. When I arm the remote lock, I see that one of the parking light remains ON. I did notice this and waited for some 5 minutes but it remains ON. Therefore, I have to unlock the car, put the key and then turn to the first position of ignition without starting the engine, and then simply turn the key back to its off position to divest yourself of with this issue. I am sure many of you have noted this and should be knowing the reason why so.
As @volkman10 correctly mentioned, it's because you switched off the car with the indicators on. It is supposed to be a safety feature (to inform the driver to switch off the indicator)

Quote:
I am still a newbie in all aspects with regard to Team-BHP website and my hunt within the forum did not return me a KIIRUS Remapped Vento. There is Rapid, but no Vento’s.

If you find one, please help me out by posting the link.
None on TBHP I believe, although there are a lot of interested Vento owners. But you should get in touch with @kryptonite for any queries. The engines of Vento & Rapid are identical - so his inputs would be very valid in understanding the pros/cons for remapping the Vento (engine).

Quote:
LOTHAR
Mandrake the Magician fan eh?
Old 11th December 2012, 12:33   #420
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Volkman10.

Yes, I am of the same mind if one switches off the car’s ignition with the indicator lights on.

Nevertheless, in my case, the indicator lights are not turned on. The car’s ignition is OFF and what happens is ONLY 1 of the Parking light remains on. The other parking light is off. I have noticed this in couple of occasions.

LOTHAR
Sorry,
Didn't see this post before replying. Could you elucidate the steps that you did to get to that incident (in case you are aware of it/replicate it).

In the situation I & @volkman10 were stating, the steps generally are
- I use the indicator to indicate a turn.
- I stop the car; the indicator is still on.
- I switch off the ignition. The single indicator is still on. The indicator display inside the car doesn't display anything.

Most Viewed