Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th May 2013, 17:18   #451
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento - User Discovered Features and Quirks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhinav.Daos View Post
Something I discovered:

Incase the petrol pump attendant is filling fuel and you lock the doors before he closes the lid, when you unlock the door next time even the lid will get unlocked and pop-out (and will ofcourse not pop-back in when you re-lock).
Not sure if its discussed before. But I did find a consistent behavior of this fuel lid opening when you unlock the car.

1. Lock the car using the remote.
2. Try opening the fuel lid. (As expected, it wouldnt open since car is already locked).
3. Now unlock the car using the remote. For me, when I did this, fuel lid was also opened.

To me, it surely looked like, car is remembering the open action performed on its fuel lid.
Possible usage (usefulness) I could think about. You are in a petrol pump and wants to fill in the fuel. The attendant comes along and tries opening it, finds it locked and then asks us to open the lid. Now only thing the we need to do is to press unlock button (havent tried it yet).
Old 8th May 2013, 18:34   #452
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anToNIcHeN View Post

Not sure if its discussed before. But I did find a consistent behavior of this fuel lid opening when you unlock the car.

1. Lock the car using the remote.
2. Try opening the fuel lid. (As expected, it wouldnt open since car is already locked).
3. Now unlock the car using the remote. For me, when I did this, fuel lid was also opened.

To me, it surely looked like, car is remembering the open action performed on its fuel lid.
Possible usage (usefulness) I could think about. You are in a petrol pump and wants to fill in the fuel. The attendant comes along and tries opening it, finds it locked and then asks us to open the lid. Now only thing the we need to do is to press unlock button (havent tried it yet).
You are right. I do exactly the same in a petroleum pump
Old 26th May 2013, 17:14   #453
BHPian

Noticed two issues with my new Vento Highline AT as below

1) Lot of sound is emitted outside the car with the music volume is just 10.
2) Music system surprisingly does not recognize my thumb drive which is in NTFS format. Recognizes only FAT32 format.

Anybody is facing similar issues and any solutions available?

Thanks!
Old 27th May 2013, 11:58   #454
DRC
BHPian

I am not a user yet, but close to buying a Vento 1.6TDI HL

During the test drive I noticed these...
1. The new Music system no longer displays the graphics for the reverse parking assist. It just the beeps now! can somebody confirm this. (why VW let go good features), The display is certainly bigger in the new one (RCD320?)

2. Real time efficiency indicator show 84.5 km/l most of the times and quickly settles to the more reasonable and probably actual values as we drove. Again, need confirmation if this is noticed in your cars.

3. dealer tend to suggest that the audio quality is slightly better in the older version than the new one, Is this true?
Old 27th May 2013, 18:34   #455
BHPian

This is a great thread, esp for someone like me about to make a decision on getting the Vento highline AT. Will be scrounging the complete thread later tonight. If anyone has any helpful suggestions/pointers for me to consider for Vento AT, please do let me know. Would appreciate the same immensely.

Unfortunately, no good deals are on offer except for free insurance. They have stopped offering free navigation system as well, which was there couple of months earlier.
Old 28th May 2013, 17:35   #456
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRC View Post
2. Real time efficiency indicator show 84.5 km/l most of the times and quickly settles to the more reasonable and probably actual values as we drove. Again, need confirmation if this is noticed in your cars.
Mine is Feb 2012 model. So I can confirm on point 2.

Thats correct. Whenever while driving you release the throttle the instantaneous efficiency shows 85kmpl.

Good way to increase ur average mileage. Keep releasing the throttle and the average will come out better
aniket.tiwari27 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2013, 14:03   #457

Hi DRC,

I recently upgraded to a Vento HL D and it's the 2013 model.

a) Yes, You only hear a beep when the reverse gear is engaged and the music no longer shows the visual (not the camera) that serves as parking assist. Definitely, the display is good to have and haven't yet found if it's possible to enable in the new system.

b) FE (fuel efficiency) indicator - When the car starts moving, the numbers shown are really high (and unbelievable) but it settles down to more realistic values after a while . If any of those initial values (like 60, 80) were to be remotely true, VW would have put that in their ads instead of the car pic itself

c) I can't really comment on the Audio system since I've not used the earlier models extensively. The stock Audio system is, IMO, reasonably good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRC View Post

During the test drive I noticed these...
1. The new Music system no longer displays the graphics for the reverse parking assist. It just the beeps now! can somebody confirm this. (why VW let go good features), The display is certainly bigger in the new one (RCD320?)

3. dealer tend to suggest that the audio quality is slightly better in the older version than the new one, Is this true?
girish4731 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2013, 20:32   #458
DRC
BHPian

Thank you gentlemen!

I noticed one more feature/quirk on my TD no.3, The steering mounted controls stop working the moment you turn off the engine. however, the music system continues to work!

I have booked my Vento 1.6TDI HL though. and started worrying about the after sales horror reviews
Old 19th July 2013, 18:02   #459
Senior - BHPian

I'm not sure if this has been found out earlier, but when I did find it out, was a shocker to me. After getting out from the car, I usually lock the car using the remote, just listening to the click sound of the lock engaging, without having a look at the car.

But today, for some reason I observed the car while locking and to my surprise, the lights did not blink though the central locking click sounded. And I tried to lock another time, and no lights blinking. After unlocking and locking several times, I found out that one of the passenger doors was not fully closed. If I had not looked back at the car while locking, the car would have been flooded with rainwater.

It is not great that, the only indicator that a door has not been fully closed, is the absence of blinking lights. There should have been an audible warning. Mine is a comfortline.
Old 19th July 2013, 19:13   #460
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
It is not great that, the only indicator that a door has not been fully closed, is the absence of blinking lights. There should have been an audible warning. Mine is a comfortline.
In my Vento the lock/unlock alarm was activated by deafult when i took delivery and when i lock the car, if any door or boot is open, then the horn doesnt come on and i know in an instant something is open.
There is no separate horn for central locking and its linked to the main horn, this thing is really loud.

Without the horn activated, you will have to see the blinking lights.
coolboy007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2013, 19:18   #461
BHPian

Quote:
@thoma : There is a audible honk option which you can get enabled the next time you are at the Service Station.
One Honk for Lock. 2 honks for open. It is pretty loud & you may get irritated though. I had it on my Highline by default.

Now for the nuances :-
- The honk is not sounded if any doors are open / not fully shut.
- The honk is sounded even if the window glasses are not fully rolled up.

I am not sure which lights you are talking about. But on continued press of the Lock button (as when you try and roll up the windows remotely), the parking lights blink only if all is secure. i.e. Doors/Boot closed & Windows rolled up. This 'blinking lights' are indeed a final confirmation.

Cheers,

Last edited by DieselDon : 19th July 2013 at 19:20.
DieselDon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2013, 20:02   #462
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDon View Post
I am not sure which lights you are talking about. But on continued press of the Lock button (as when you try and roll up the windows remotely), the parking lights blink only if all is secure. i.e. Doors/Boot closed & Windows rolled up. This 'blinking lights' are indeed a final confirmation.
The side, front and back indicators flash once when locked and twice when unlocked. What I was saying is that, the only indicator for me that a door is not fully closed, is that this does not flash.

I do not know if the horn can be used as an alarm for the Comfortline variant. As per the service center, the Comfortline don't even have the automatic door lock upon speed! And, all the while I was thinking that it was just a VAS activation.
Old 22nd July 2013, 14:55   #463
BHPian

Quote:
The side, front and back indicators flash once when locked and twice when unlocked. What I was saying is that, the only indicator for me that a door is not fully closed, is that this does not flash.
This is actually another feature, but in your case causing discomfort.

How this feature works is: Driver exits the car and closes the door. Now there is some thing in the back seat / front seat / boot, that you need 2 hands to carry. You open relevant door, and press lock button on the remote. All closed doors have their locks engaged. Now, you pick up your stuff, and close the open door with your bum. The last lock engages and the car indicates this with a single blink.

OR Driver exits the car and closes the door. Passengers are still exiting, while driver needs to go somewhere quickly. He presses the lock button and leaves. As the passengers close their doors they get locked on their own, and as the last door closes, the car is fully secured. This works for all doors and boot lid, except driver door, I believe.
Old 22nd July 2013, 15:43   #464
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Would you also want the car to sing a Himesh Reshammiya lullaby and do a Prabhu Deva jig right there when you lock the car?

Come on! The absence of horn/light alert is good enough to tell you (and me) that one of the doors is not closed. If one really wanted to complain on these matters, then the following are aspects that might be of more concern
  • If one of the windows is not fully closed, there is no indication to distinguish the same. More than once I have left one of the windows partly open by mistake, and realizing the next day only.
  • If I switch off the car with the indicator(s) on, the light remains on (for ever if you leave the car unused). Again no change in the horn/lights to indicate the same. And again, I am guilty of doing the same, but thankfully only for a few hours.

But as for the vast majority of "possible issues", the solution is same - we need to be vigilant. The car can only have limited options.

Edit:
Just a suggestion - the original purpose of this thread was to share discovered features about the car. Key concerns, problems and other aspects can be continued on the Vento thread.

Last edited by ninjatalli : 22nd July 2013 at 15:46.
Old 22nd July 2013, 16:25   #465
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayson View Post
This is actually another feature, but in your case causing discomfort.
I had read about the feature and I agree with the usefulness; but never found out that no audible alert is provided.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
The absence of horn/light alert is good enough to tell you (and me) that one of the doors is not closed.
Didn't feel good enough for me, especially when my Comfortline do not use the horn as an alarm!

Quote:
If one of the windows is not fully closed, there is no indication to distinguish the same. More than once I have left one of the windows partly open by mistake, and realizing the next day only.
Not many cars I have used provides this feature.

Quote:
If I switch off the car with the indicator(s) on, the light remains on (for ever if you leave the car unused).
Strange, mine doesn't.

Quote:
the original purpose of this thread was to share discovered features about the car
This is so different from most other cars that give an audible warning when a door is not closed. And so I thought this is a discovered feature-less; and not discussed earlier in this thread, as per my search. I didn't want another user to overlook this.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks