Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 16th March 2016, 15:43   #526
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento - User Discovered Features and Quirks

Quote:
Originally Posted by famousshoes View Post
Folks
This is a question regarding the Vento tsi fuel tank capacity. Yesterday morning my fuel gauge hit zero, i was a little away from my usual petrol station and i drove about 16-20 km with the DTE at zero. Once i reached the station and filled up to a full tank the car had taken in 65 litres of petrol. I was gobsmacked because the manual specifies a 55 litre tank capacity and a +- of 3-4 litres was fine but a 10 litre difference seems like a bit much. what gives?
I think it is expected. From your description, your tank would have been almost totally dry. Below are some posts from the Polo thread that talks about the Polo taking in 5-6 liters above its 45L tank Capacity. So I assume a Vento taking in 10 liters extra into an almost dry tank should be possible.

In my vento TSI, I typically fill when the level is at quarter tank. At that level itself ~47 liters goes in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
I asked that guy to fill to the brim, considering almost 2 litres of fuel does go in after that with a little coaxing.
He started filling, kept filling and STILL kept filling. The damn fuel tank was just not getting full. Finally, after a long wait, the tank showed signs of brimming at 49.6 litres!!!!!

Now this has raised a red flag in my eyes. HOW can a Polo, with it's 42 litre fuel tank, take in almost 50 litres of fuel? Have I been conned by the pump, or is the tank actually that big?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post

Few months back, I did a 1200km round trip through coastal Karnataka in my GT TDI and the journey started with a tankful which was about 42 ltrs, as I had close to 3 ltrs left in the tank. The reserve light started flashing after I had done 865 kms, which is ~20 km/l. When I tanked up this time, the GT gulped 48 ltrs!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK View Post
I think: Cars generally have fuel tanks on the left. The cars which have the fuel opening on the right have a longer pipeline to the tank. Like both my GT TSI and Optra Magnum take about 12ltrs of fuel after the auto cut and that makes it go over the stated tank capacity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
The actual tank capacity maybe 45 litres. What goes in can be more. From the fuel filler to the tank, the pipe maybe routed circuitously, If the pipe is 4-5 feet long till the tank, that's easily 4-5 litres of extra volume.

This is quite normal and nothing really new. There are cars which can take 10 litres more than tank capacity.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2016, 15:58   #527
Senior - BHPian

To answer queries about fuel capacity of Vento. Its typically 55 lt including reserve. Over an above that, once I have filled in extra 12 lt by pressing that small button inside the fuel inlet mouth.

So safely you can put Vento fuel capacity at about ~67 lt. Nothing to be worried about.

But it should only be done during long drives not during city run. As the space for expansion of air is now filled with fuel.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th March 2016, 18:55   #528
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
To answer queries about fuel capacity of Vento. Its typically 55 lt including reserve. Over an above that, once I have filled in extra 12 lt by pressing that small button inside the fuel inlet mouth.

So safely you can put Vento fuel capacity at about ~67 lt. Nothing to be worried about.

But it should only be done during long drives not during city run. As the space for expansion of air is now filled with fuel.
As above, with the gauge showing a little less than one quarter of a tank of diesel remaining, I have used the nifty air ejection button to fill an extra 62 litres to fill the tank to the brim of the refill orifice.

Makes for a total of about 70L assuming that ~6-7 litres was in the tank.

In that condition, I have driven to Ernakulam, trundled oround in the city and returned to Trivandrum with no change in the fuel gauge reading (it remained stubbornly at full).

Last edited by pillainp : 16th March 2016 at 18:56.
pillainp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2016, 01:17   #529
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pillainp View Post
In that condition, I have driven to Ernakulam, trundled oround in the city and returned to Trivandrum with no change in the fuel gauge reading (it remained stubbornly at full).
Yes fuel gauge does remain at full until the extra fuel filled is used. Only then it starts to operate once it reaches its designed capacity of 55 lt.

I had clocked 150 Kms and fuel gauge still showed full. The only use of filling up to brim is that you can clock higher distance on a single refill.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2017, 23:08   #530

Quote:
hi
This is something i noticed in my Vento Tsi while opening the boot. If opened with the door switch on the drivers side, the lid unlocks and lifts up automatically but if opened with the key fob it just opens and stays down and has to be lifted up manually. Is this by design?
I thought I was the only one. Phew. I have a Vento 1.6 (2016). I know this is a very late response (I'm new here ) but your statement is not entirely true. Both the driver side switch and the key fob essentially do the same thing. Both Unlocks the electronic boot lock. The Vento's boot springs are not designed to lift the boot up automatically like the gas struts found in premium cars. Instead it decreases the strain excreted by the person trying to open the boot lid. It is at a point where the lid almost feels weightless and a slight shove would open the lid completely.
Now, I've opened the boot from my porch countless times using both the driver side switch and the key fob and I can confirm that it only unlocks the lid. The lid does not go up by itself. But if I park the car just a meter down from the porch, where it is slightly inclined (by slightly I mean almost a plain), the boot lid goes up automatically. I've also noticed this when I'm parked in different locations, sometimes the boot opens completely, sometimes it doesn't. This might end up giving a false impression that the driver side switch opens the boot lid completely. That just might be a coincidence. But, everytime the boot auto-opens, I get the 'wow' effect. There is thread somewhere in the forum which has a guide to achieve this auto lift for a very reasonable price. I found a way to do the same for free and I've posted it in the same thread. Hope this helped.
Parag_pv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2017, 08:54   #531
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parag_pv View Post
I thought I was the only one. --------

------ I've also noticed this when I'm parked in different locations, sometimes the boot opens completely, sometimes it doesn't. This might end up giving a false impression that the driver side switch opens the boot lid completely. That just might be a coincidence. But, everytime the boot auto-opens, I get the 'wow' effect. There is thread somewhere in the forum which has a guide to achieve this auto lift for a very reasonable price. I found a way to do the same for free and I've posted it in the same thread. Hope this helped.

The boot lid used to lift up by itself when our Rapid was new, both with the key and driver door switch. After 4 years, it doesn't do that anymore.

Quote:
Folks
This is a question regarding the Vento tsi fuel tank capacity. Yesterday morning my fuel gauge hit zero, i was a little away from my usual petrol station and i drove about 16-20 km with the DTE at zero. Once i reached the station and filled up to a full tank the car had taken in 65 litres of petrol. I was gobsmacked because the manual specifies a 55 litre tank capacity and a +- of 3-4 litres was fine but a 10 litre difference seems like a bit much. The attendant was non chalant and said it sometimes took in upto 68-70 litres. I had also pressed the air release button and the ignition was off. The attendant filled in 2 litres after the auto shut off at 63. This was at the station in the lane opposite lotus petrol pump, Andheri. Here s a picture of the same. what gives?
On a lighter note, this kinda thing is a common occurrence if you fill fuel from Mahe. The humble Wagon R's are known to take in over 57 liters when fueled from a certain pump in Mahe.
GeneralJazz is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th May 2017, 23:16   #532

This might not be an eye opener for most, but there is apparently four different ways through which you can open the Vento's boot lid. FOUR. . All this time I knew three of those methods and I was already impressed. It was only while cleaning my car today that I accidentally found the fourth method and KABOOM [Mind blown]. The previous sedan I owned (Indigo) had just 2 mechanical boot releases and I thought that was good.

Here goes :
1. Long pressing the boot release button on the keyfob.
2. Triggering the driver side boot release toggle.
3. Inserting the key in the keyhole on the boot and turning it clockwise. I presume that this is a back up when the battery is flat. But, I don't feel any mechanical connection between the key and the lock,rather it feels like the key is disengaging the electronic lock just like the other methods.
4. Pressing on the soft touch button under the VW logo. This is neatly tucked away and hidden between the two number plate illumination lamps. It has a black rubber covering on it and this made it extremely well camouflaged on my Night Blue Vento. I found this button accidentally after having the car for almost a month. Just another impressive feature among a long list of nifty practical ones.

I really hope that I wasn't the only one who failed to notice the soft touch button and that I helped someone through this post.
Old 1st June 2017, 21:28   #533
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parag_pv View Post
4. Pressing on the soft touch button under the VW logo. This is neatly tucked away and hidden between the two number plate illumination lamps. It has a black rubber covering on it and this made it extremely well camouflaged on my Night Blue Vento. I found this button accidentally after having the car for almost a month. Just another impressive feature among a long list of nifty practical ones.

I really hope that I wasn't the only one who failed to notice the soft touch button and that I helped someone through this post.
That is good to know. I thought that is not there in my car, but I double checked and it is not. It seems it was added to newer models. My car is a 2010 1.6 TDI Highline.

It would be interesting to know at what point they added that.
halfbytecode is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2018, 12:21   #534
BHPian

So I am trying to go for a clean wire-free look in the cabin and moving the phone charging cable and dash cam cable to connect directly to the fuse box. Through a quick trial and error method, figured out that the cigarette lighter fuse is at position #42 in the fuse box layout. As shown below, you can tap this fuse (using a fuse tap) and move all the wires hidden away from your view.

Cigarette lighter fuse indicated below:
Volkswagen Vento - User Discovered Features and Quirks-img_7485.png

Fuse Tap with 15A fuse
Volkswagen Vento - User Discovered Features and Quirks-img_7483.jpg

Connected fuse tap
Volkswagen Vento - User Discovered Features and Quirks-img_7484.jpg

What I am unable to figure out is where to make the ground connection. The screw next to the fuses does not appear to be connected to ground. I tried connecting the ground cable of the 5V converter/adapter to that screw but that doesn't help. The only other place closeby I know is the OBD port but I want to avoid that.

Can anybody suggest a place to connect the ground cable?
nileshch is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2018, 23:28   #535
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nileshch View Post

Hi nileshch,

I hope this helps

Volkswagen Vento - User Discovered Features and Quirks-earthpoints.jpg

Regards.
antardaksh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2018, 13:46   #536
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by antardaksh View Post
Hi nileshch,
I hope this helps
Thanks for sharing. But did not quite get the locations. Is it near the steering wheel? Can you share the original link from where you got this diagram?

Thanks!
Old 4th April 2018, 14:13   #537
BHPian

Quote:
e of the 5V converter/adapter to that screw but that doesn't help. The only other place closeby I know is the OBD port but I want to avoid that.

I have hardwired the dash cam and have connected the ground to the metal as shown in the pic below.
Volkswagen Vento - User Discovered Features and Quirks-img20170318wa0004.jpg
redcruiser is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th April 2018, 01:01   #538
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for sharing. But did not quite get the locations. Is it near the steering wheel? Can you share the original link from where you got this diagram?

Thanks!
Hi nileshch,

This earth point is on the top side of steering column. You will have to remove upper trim to access this location.

Volkswagen Vento - User Discovered Features and Quirks-steering-column.jpg

I got this diagram from ELSAWIN.

Regards.
antardaksh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2018, 21:16   #539
BHPian

Hi guys, sorry for the late reply. I only got time to try this out last weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcruiser View Post
I have hardwired the dash cam and have connected the ground to the metal as shown in the pic below.
Thanks @redcruiser! This worked for me. The panel was easy to remove and I also found a nice cavity to park the extra wire in there.

Volkswagen Vento - User Discovered Features and Quirks-img_7771.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by antardaksh View Post
This earth point is on the top side of steering column. You will have to remove upper trim to access this location.
Thanks for sharing this @antardaksh. I looked at this and it meant unscrewing the steering wheel cover. I took the easier way out of simply removing the side panel to connect the ground cable.

As an aside, I was cursing VW for not providing an easy way to remove the fuses from the box. But I was wrong. This weekend I discovered that VW has provided a plastic pincers to pull out the fuse.

Volkswagen Vento - User Discovered Features and Quirks-img_7772.jpgVolkswagen Vento - User Discovered Features and Quirks-img_7773.jpg

Last edited by nileshch : 8th May 2018 at 21:37. Reason: Fixed errors.
nileshch is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th July 2019, 13:49   #540
BHPian

Volkswagen Vento - User Discovered Features and Quirks-img_20190724_134816.jpgVolkswagen fuse box
eatdust is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed