Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th September 2011, 15:45   #106
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento - User Discovered Features and Quirks

^^ Someone was mentioning earlier that this blink count can also be configured through a software update at the workshop.
nileshch is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2011, 17:10   #107
Senior - BHPian

The other day while driving , I was following a Dzire . That car's driver tried to clean its screen with a short burst of the water jet but as luck would have it , the entire water spray completely missed the windscreen and landed on my Vento . It was a bit hilarious but it just brought to my mind one feature ( which I am sure is present in other cars too ) - one can adjust the Vento's windscreen spray up-down and sideways ( I think) and this can be done using ones fingers only. I used it when the VW SA forgot to adjust it during the monsoon check-up and I did the spray direction myself.

The couple of nozzles are just hidden under the bonnet where it starts after the windscreen .
Old 25th September 2011, 19:17   #108
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ As far as I know that can be done on most modern cars. People just don't do it or don't know how to! This morning a Honda City driver soaked a biker behind him at a traffic signal. It was most hilarious- not for the poor driver of course!
Old 29th September 2011, 16:06   #109
Distinguished - BHPian

Finally my first (useful) post on this wonderful thread!

Some of my “findings” might have been repeated in the earlier posts, or might be a common aspect in most of today’s cars – if so pardon the repetition; after all my previous car was a M800

Also I'm repeating all the minor changes in the new Vento over here to have a one point repository
  • Say you unlock the car by remote, but get pre-occupied in some other task. The car locks itself after waiting for around 40 odd seconds. (normal light + horn action)
  • Say you switch off the ignition but forget to switch off the headlights - there is a small alarm notification for the same. Not sure if the headlights switch off on their own later.
  • The interior light comes up when you unlock the car (by remote/door) - the same goes off once you start the ignition. Apart from being highly useful, it looks bl**dy awesome!
  • Say the music system is on with the ignition on but headlights off. The moment you switch on the headlights, the small red/orange indicators light up inside the car, and simultaneously the white backlight of the player goes a shade down. Visa versa when you switch off the headlights.
  • When you switch on the reverse gear, the optical display comes up displaying a 2D picture with possible obstacles in the back (and the beeping sounds); and the music level (of the player) goes down. Once you switch back to normal gears, the volume goes up to the earlier level.
  • Steering controls consist of volume up/down, song next/previous, a bluetooth call button & a mute button. The bluetooth button doesn't work as the current ICE doesn't support it. The mute button works flawlessly.
  • While the Vento ICE works even after the ignition is turned off, the steering controls don't.
  • USB slot is inside the glove box. While this is a good move, the long wire of the usb sticks out like a sore thumb when you open the glove box.
  • TP button on the new ICE player is useless - this is mainly used for traffic (public) announcements in Europe - however no use over here. When pressed, a small message pops up - "No announcements".
  • Quality of the speakers have improved (pretty good as per @swanand_inamdar) - this needs to be confirmed by a one-on-one comparision between both old & new Ventos.
  • While the TDi engine is as noisy as ever on the outside, surprisingly there is hardly any sound inside the car (windows closed), even with the music player switched off. Again whether this is an improvement needs to be validated by a one-on-one comparision.
  • Boot lock & auto lock are being enabled by the dealer before delivery (atleast BUB does it)
  • Most of the permutations & combinations of locking (mentioned by @noopster, @souravc & others in the initial pages) work in my car - seems like a proper software upgrade has been done on the new Vento.
  • Missing chrome parts are back - clarified with VW (thanks to my friend) reason was due to a vendor problem. These are to stay.
As of now these are the ones I could note. If someone could clarify which of the above are already present on previous Vento(s) or is a normal feature accross the segment, it would be quite insightful (for me! )
ninjatalli is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 29th September 2011, 22:43   #110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
If someone could clarify which of the above are already present on previous Vento(s) or is a normal feature accross the segment, it would be quite insightful (for me! )
Thanks Ninja Trying to mark the features across pre and post refresh Vento below . Pre = P , Refreshed = R
  • Say you unlock the car by remote, but get pre-occupied in some other task. The car locks itself after waiting for around 40 odd seconds. (normal light + horn action) [ P + R ] { Ninja, aren't your neighbour's going to throw you out because of the "pram" "pram" everytime you use the remote lock ? }
  • Say you switch off the ignition but forget to switch off the headlights - there is a small alarm notification for the same. Not sure if the headlights switch off on their own later. [ P + R ] { Headlights switch off the moment you lock the car using the remote lock}
  • The interior light comes up when you unlock the car (by remote/door) - the same goes off once you start the ignition. Apart from being highly useful, it looks bl**dy awesome! [ P + R ] {Thats Christmas tree in Noop's lingo , beware its patented }
  • Say the music system is on with the ignition on but headlights off. The moment you switch on the headlights, the small red/orange indicators light up inside the car, and simultaneously the white backlight of the player goes a shade down. Visa versa when you switch off the headlights. [ R ] { pre has a blue background and I can't remember the backlight intensity going down }
  • When you switch on the reverse gear, the optical display comes up displaying a 2D picture with possible obstacles in the back (and the beeping sounds); and the music level (of the player) goes down. Once you switch back to normal gears, the volume goes up to the earlier level. [ R ]
  • Steering controls consist of volume up/down, song next/previous, a bluetooth call button & a mute button. The bluetooth button doesn't work as the current ICE doesn't support it. The mute button works flawlessly. [ R ]
  • While the Vento ICE works even after the ignition is turned off, the steering controls don't. [R]
  • USB slot is inside the glove box. While this is a good move, the long wire of the usb sticks out like a sore thumb when you open the glove box. [ R ]
  • TP button on the new ICE player is useless - this is mainly used for traffic (public) announcements in Europe - however no use over here. When pressed, a small message pops up - "No announcements". [R]
souravc is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th October 2011, 16:48   #111
BHPian

SauravC, thanks for posting this. Very useful and informative. Does anyone know of a similar post for the Skoda Laura ?? if you do then can you e-mail me at njo.zebec@gmail.com

Regards,
Seacat.
Old 9th October 2011, 19:55   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacat View Post
SauravC, thanks for posting this. Very useful and informative. Does anyone know of a similar post for the Skoda Laura ?? if you do then can you e-mail me at njo.zebec@gmail.com

Regards,
Seacat.
Sorry Seacat , I have no idea on any specific thread on features Skoda Laura - I guess this effort was more born out of a collective sense of dissatisfaction amongst us Vento owners at how VW explained to us the features which was made a bit more trying given that the Vento is a new launch. So we decided to pool in our collective wisdom / learning about the Vento to maximise our enjoyment of the car .
I would advice you to start looking at threads by Laura owners , there are quite a few of them . I could not locate an official review thread of Laura , which is surprising !
souravc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2011, 09:26   #113
Senior - BHPian

Vento's first service at 15k costs from 11 to 12k ???

And headlights bulbs cost 1200Rs ?
Old 10th October 2011, 09:51   #114
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post

First service generally has been between 7 to 10k (max). Haven't seen anyone putting a higher quote out here.
No idea on the headlight bulbs - I guess @souravc or others can help on this.

Someone had put up a acessories price list long time back on the Vento/Polo thread. I knew I should have downloaded it then itself.

People,
Was experimenting with the up-down motion of the windows with the remote. If any of the doors is open (or if anybody is seated), the window doesn't go down (via remote), although it closes for sure. Wonder what would be the thought process behind this.

P.s. We are running out of hidden features, aren't we

Last edited by ninjatalli : 10th October 2011 at 09:55.
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2011, 09:58   #115
Distinguished - BHPian

The average rate reported here is 8k. Anyways, I will be servicing mine in a couple of weeks. 600kms left for the service. Will update my report once that's done. No idea about the bulbs, the fogs cost 5-6k.
Old 10th October 2011, 13:15   #116
BHPian

Yesterday,
I was caught in heavy rain in bangalore, I noticed two things

1) Rain noise insulation on the top is very low, so there is a lot of rain noise inside
2) The Wipers make a strange sound at the last two faster settings, although seemed quite effective in the heavy rain.

On another matter
My car has just run 1000kms what I notice is there is some sort of a black powder on the front wheels. Does anyone know if this is because of break pads getting set or should I get this checked?

any one else experienced the same things
Old 10th October 2011, 14:05   #117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

The quote is around 8-9K which includes oil change .
If you are upgrading to 90/100 it would cost you around 1.2K-1.5k including cutouts

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnaprasad View Post
Yesterday,
I was caught in heavy rain in bangalore, I noticed two things

1) Rain noise insulation on the top is very low, so there is a lot of rain noise inside
2) The Wipers make a strange sound at the last two faster settings, although seemed quite effective in the heavy rain.

On another matter
My car has just run 1000kms what I notice is there is some sort of a black powder on the front wheels. Does anyone know if this is because of break pads getting set or should I get this checked?

any one else experienced the same things
1. Agree that the rain noise insulation is pathetic , the roof lining should have been padded up more . The noise is more than that I have experienced in any other car
2. Haven't heard any strange noise from the wiper apart from the slight "thud" when it reaches the extreme end

The black powder is brake dust , it happens in my car too and has been reported in the forum - I don't think its something to worry about.
cheers

Last edited by souravc : 10th October 2011 at 14:07.
souravc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2011, 23:02   #118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
People,
Was experimenting with the up-down motion of the windows with the remote. If any of the doors is open (or if anybody is seated), the window doesn't go down (via remote), although it closes for sure. Wonder what would be the thought process behind this.

P.s. We are running out of hidden features, aren't we
In the Vento , all the doors need to be shut for the lock to be armed - if any door remains open , then the lock would not be armed and if the lock is not armed then the windows cannot be rolled up as sequentially the actions that are performed are door shut > lock armed > window roll up . You would note that the window roll up happens after a noticeable pause post the arming of the lock.
You can roll down when the door is open since keeping a door open does not interfere with the disarming of the lock which precedes remote rolling down of the window. Darn Ninja, you need to revise the pages of this thread take time off from shuttling around in your car and go through the pages

You are absolutely right , it seems that we have decoded Vento through and through and there is no further hidden feature ! I have also started taking the torque for granted so a bit of the excitement is down , guess I need a long drive trip soon
souravc is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th October 2011, 15:06   #119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by souravc View Post
The quote is around 8-9K which includes oil change .
If you are upgrading to 90/100 it would cost you around 1.2K-1.5k including cutouts

The black powder is brake dust , it happens in my car too and has been reported in the forum - I don't think its something to worry about.
cheers

It wasnt a upgrade, just a normal 55/60 bulb change!

Guess every other part is 1000ish for VW. You need fuel filter, air filter, pollen filter etc during 15k service which adds up to this amount.
Old 11th October 2011, 20:05   #120
Senior - BHPian

I dont know the charges but 1200 Rs for a 55/60 W bulb sounds ridiculous, I hope it isnt true.

By the way, these are normal HL bulbs and can also be procured after market right?

Quote:
It wasnt a upgrade, just a normal 55/60 bulb change!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks