Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th October 2011, 21:23   #121
BHPian

One thing I observed during reverse. Once you are too close to the object on reverse gear there is a continuous audio beep. But when you change the gear to first, the beep still screams till you move the car forward. The reverse sensors I know on few cars stop beeping once you disengage from the reverse gear.
prabhuferrari is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th October 2011, 21:39   #122
Senior - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento - User Discovered Features and Quirks

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
It wasnt a upgrade, just a normal 55/60 bulb change!

Guess every other part is 1000ish for VW. You need fuel filter, air filter, pollen filter etc during 15k service which adds up to this amount.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bala80 View Post
I dont know the charges but 1200 Rs for a 55/60 W bulb sounds ridiculous, I hope it isnt true.

By the way, these are normal HL bulbs and can also be procured after market right?
Absolutely agree with Bala , Rs 1200 for a 55/60 is way too high - I changed to 90/100 and the bill was around 1200 which included the cut-outs , this was done at a normal shop .

JK , VW parts are not that frightfully expensive but their labour charges are horrendously high . Could you please check the break-up of the 1200 , maybe the figure is after including VW "special" labour charges .
Old 11th October 2011, 22:56   #123
BHPian

@souravc Rs 1200 is for the headlights only and not with labour charge. The labour charge they quoted on bill were less

BTW mine is a red vento tdi highline.

Attached the bill for reference.

Volkswagen Vento - User Discovered Features and Quirks-vento_bill_upload.jpg

Last edited by jithudigitised : 11th October 2011 at 23:18. Reason: spelling
jithudigitised is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th October 2011, 23:58   #124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jithudigitised View Post
@souravc Rs 1200 is for the headlights only and not with labour charge. The labour charge they quoted on bill were less

BTW mine is a red vento tdi highline.

Attached the bill for reference.
Hey Jithu , just searched for your ownership thread and realised we are one less red tdi - look forward to yours
Are the stock bulbs halogen ? I doubt it ( my view point only after considering the brightness) though I am not sure. I am curious why you needed to change the stock bulb so quickly . Considering that I paid as much for 90/100 Phillips and that included cutouts and installation , I have to say that VW overcharged. When i changed to the 90/100 i kept the stock as spare and the guy who did the job mentioned that similar quality stock bulbs cost apprx Rs 500 for a pair - no idea how trustworthy that estimate is though !
Old 12th October 2011, 00:36   #125
BHPian

@souravc my swift has the Philips Rally 130/100 with PMP relay installed and that had cost me just above the rate the volkwagen says.

In the bill itself, it says halogen, so i don't think its some other.
The guy told me that the bulb has some focussing issue and so they changed.
Since i tried to focus the bulbs myself using the rotor above the headlight earlier, i thought this might somehow damaged them.
But when asked about warranty, he said it isn't covered.

Anyway i have mailed Volkswagen customer service regarding this and waiting for their reply on the issue.

Well about the ownership thread..its on process. hehe
Old 12th October 2011, 11:00   #126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhuferrari View Post
One thing I observed during reverse. Once you are too close to the object on reverse gear there is a continuous audio beep. But when you change the gear to first, the beep still screams till you move the car forward. The reverse sensors I know on few cars stop beeping once you disengage from the reverse gear.
This actually is a useful feature. Suppose you are in an incline. You shift to reverse and you see a block in your sensors. You put your forward gear, it still gives you a feedback as to how much your car can go back while you engage your clutch (For some people, engaging the gear and taking forward the car in an inclination is a big challenge). Now if the feed back stops the moment you engage your forward gear, you would have to take a guess as how tight the reverse distance is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by souravc View Post
Hey Jithu , just searched for your ownership thread and realised we are one less red tdi - look forward to yours
Are the stock bulbs halogen ? I doubt it ( my view point only after considering the brightness) though I am not sure. I am curious why you needed to change the stock bulb so quickly . Considering that I paid as much for 90/100 Phillips and that included cutouts and installation , I have to say that VW overcharged. When i changed to the 90/100 i kept the stock as spare and the guy who did the job mentioned that similar quality stock bulbs cost apprx Rs 500 for a pair - no idea how trustworthy that estimate is though !
From what I have observed in Vento, the throw of light / brightness etc of the stock light is very good than normal cars. I had Osram lights in my previous car. The moment I started driving the new Car, it reminded me of Osram head lights (My opinion :- Osram headlights and Vento stock lights have "similar" brightness and throw of light).
Hence my conclusion is that they have indeed used "high quality" lights as stock lights. "Could" be one of the reasons why they charge more!

BTW, Osram lights costs around 1200.

PS: We had an innova at home. When its lights were changed, I remember we were charged 1500 for the same! So I guess 1200 is "cheap" compared to innova

Last edited by anToNIcHeN : 12th October 2011 at 11:07.
Old 12th October 2011, 12:36   #127
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhuferrari View Post
+1 to that. Even the optical display stays on for a few extra seconds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anToNIcHeN View Post
This actually is a useful feature. Suppose you are in an incline.
@antonichen - actually the problem here is the beep keeps continuing for a few seconds even after you start driving. Normally (as you gave an example) it's a good feature. But in traffic or in narrow roads, it becomes a problem - every time I need to recheck if I haven't gone back into reverse instead of 1st gear (the gear position is same for both).

Quote:
Originally Posted by jithudigitised View Post
2000+ for the labor; isn't it the norm to mark the labor charges against the line items? In this manner, they could very well add high labor charges for any of the service activities.

Edit : @JD - 300Rs for Nitrogen filling? Isn't that way too high?

Last edited by ninjatalli : 12th October 2011 at 12:42.
Old 12th October 2011, 12:56   #128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Normally (as you gave an example) it's a good feature.
I cited that eg. coz, I underwent the same scenario just 2 days back. Hence I found that 'delay' in switching useful!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
But in traffic or in narrow roads, it becomes a problem - every time I need to recheck if I haven't gone back into reverse instead of 1st gear (the gear position is same for both).
This is just a matter of getting used to!. I am already comfortable with putting reverse and 1st just by the gear feel. Hence this is not an issue with me.
This is what I do. I rest my hand on the hand rest (a perfect comfortable position. I am 5'9"). If I want to engage reverse, I push down the gear lever and then push forward to engage. If its to 1st, I just push it forward. This works great (rather perfect) for my height, hand rest position and gear lever config.
anToNIcHeN is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2011, 13:28   #129
Senior - BHPian

You can try adjusting the Lamp leveling device position to "0" and check.
I'm happy with the Vento stock lights. The throw of light is reasonably enough when I set my "Leveling device position to 0" and I'm satisfied.

Last edited by Ramsagar : 12th October 2011 at 13:41.
Old 12th October 2011, 13:51   #130
BHPian

Today a colleague of mine was telling me that he read in this month's AutoCar magazine that one should not pressure wash the underside of Vento (there are some sensors that would get damaged). Does anyone know about this is true and has more details?
Old 12th October 2011, 15:40   #131
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnaprasad View Post
Today a colleague of mine was telling me that he read in this month's AutoCar magazine that one should not pressure wash the underside of Vento (there are some sensors that would get damaged). Does anyone know about this is true and has more details?
That would be shocking - just imagine what would happen to the sensors when gravels and small stones hit them instead of high speed water .
I don't believe it
Old 12th October 2011, 15:50   #132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by souravc

That would be shocking - just imagine what would happen to the sensors when gravels and small stones hit them instead of high speed water .
I don't believe it
I don't think the damage referred to is physical, but electrical due to shorting. If that is the case, then it is strange because the underside of the car is exactly where all the water spray from roads goes. Either that or they expect Vento owners to crawl during the rains
Old 12th October 2011, 15:58   #133
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeluM View Post
I don't think the damage referred to is physical, but electrical due to shorting. If that is the case, then it is strange because the underside of the car is exactly where all the water spray from roads goes. Either that or they expect Vento owners to crawl during the rains
I was reading the user manual yesterday, and there was a section on driving the car in water. It was clearly mentioned that one has to drive slowly and at times when other vehicles come in opposite direction the waves might get under the car body and this might impact the braking accuracy. So one has to drive slow in water is what VW recommends. I am not sure why someone will drive very fast if there is water on the road?

But then the question here is about high pressure wash on under body and not on water on the road. As sourav said this is something highly unlikely. The only caution I remember reading in the manual is about salt water causing erosion.
Old 12th October 2011, 16:20   #134
Senior - BHPian

Few points from my side -

- 1200 for pair of bulbs is definitely on the higher side (@souravc - I think you wanted to mention xenon, all normal HL bulbs are halogen). However, I would be interested to know the OEM manufacturer of this. Jigu - Can you provide this detail? I would want to find out how much this costs aftermarket. Its afterall a 55/60W bulb, is there any big deal in replacing it outside VW service center?

- 226 Rs for screenwash concentrate is also on the higher side. I admit it gives a pleasent frangrance and all, but still price is high. I have no idea what's the quantity and how long it lasts though.

- Nitrogen filling is ridiculous. Most petrol pumps (atleast in chennai) offer it free with a tank full of fuel.

- As for the high pressure wash - it isnt the underbody, but the engine bay and ECU that is the suspect. I remember reading it in polo maintanence thread that the ECU/some component in engine bay needs to be covered with plastic cover before a high pressure wash and hence washing anywhere else outside VW service station isnt recommended. Will try to dig out that thread and post here for your reference.
Old 12th October 2011, 16:25   #135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhuferrari
I am not sure why someone will drive very fast if there is water on the road?
Who said anything about driving "very fast"? There is a difference between going slow and crawling. Going slow will still result in water spray onto the underbody, but the vehicle will not aquaplane and will remain in control. The only way to prevent water from getting onto the underbody is crawling at speeds less than 5kmph.

About the waves, if one is actually wading through water deep enough to submerge the underbody when waves are formed, one would certainly be taking a huge risk of stalling, and the chances of damage are high anyway, so that's obvious.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks