Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th August 2011, 19:54   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bonnet flies open in my new Tata Indigo CS and shatters the windscreen - now what

Some photos of the damaged parts would go a long way in determining what has actually happened here, otherwise all this is just a stab in the dark. There are a multitude of things that could have happened here.

I think, that a defect at the manufacturing stage seems still to be the least likely to me. You are just jumping to that conclusion because its a Tata.

Last edited by julupani : 28th August 2011 at 19:56.
Old 28th August 2011, 20:40   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Bonnet flies open in my new Tata Indigo CS and shatters the windscreen - now what

mathranik, very sad to hear about the incident. Its soothing to hear that you and the other occupants are safe.
Do not rule out any either any niggle or manufacturing defect or any other freak reason that may have been responsible for the unfortunate incident. One must have an open mind at this stage, until the real cause is investigated and zeroed upon.
I am sure you can talk to the media (press and TV reporters) at this stage to highlight the incident.
Please document all the press clippings and TV coverage details that may help you, should you decide to file a case at a competent consumer forum, to claim damages to the car for the incident and for the shock, trauma and agony you and the other passengers went through.
Many of us avoid the legal recourse due to the hassles, but I am sure it is worth all the trouble, because the adverse publicity it generates can rattle the car maker. Also good media briefing with xeroxes of documents and pictures is important to highlight the incident.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 28th August 2011 at 20:42.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2011, 21:04   #18
Senior - BHPian

@mathranik

This incident could have had a far worse outcome.
Suggest you write to Mr Sreeraman, with photos and a detailed description of the incident. He is the National Head-Service, Tata Motors, Passenger Car Business Unit. His e-mail id is : sree@tatamotors.com

Take care and drive safe
arjab is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2011, 21:23   #19
rkg
Senior - BHPian

It is indeed scary. Hence forth i will check the bonnet before any log journey.

It happened to me twice but both time in city at speeds less than 40Km. once i noticed it by myself due to abnormal sound, second time some passerby pointed it out to me. nothing happened.

In TATA cars bonnet has to dropped from at least 1 ft height (it is the case in my Vista). If it is just dropped slowly and pressed it will not close properly , may be due to the weight

Since it is at 5000 km ODO, did this happen immediately after 2nd service? In that case it is most probably due to negligence at service center.

In this forum we have the instance of scorpio back tyre flying on high way. service center guy did not fix it properly after service
rkg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2011, 21:24   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by julupani View Post
Some photos of the damaged parts would go a long way in determining what has actually happened here, otherwise all this is just a stab in the dark. There are a multitude of things that could have happened here.

I think, that a defect at the manufacturing stage seems still to be the least likely to me. You are just jumping to that conclusion because its a Tata.
As I said, the car is in the process of being towed from Baroda to Surat, which should take no less than 4 hours. Pictures would be up first thing in the morning tomorrow.

As far as Tata is concerned, I know this could happen to the best of the brands, but Tata has an unmistakable reputation for quality. I would rather not indulge in mudslinging, but if you read me, I myself have another Tata - a Manza. From circumstantial evidence and initial observation, everything points towards what I mentioned.

No one is jumping to conclusions, but if you were to be (heaven forbid) a part of such an incident, you would've been pretty pissed yourself, trust me on that. More on this when I have confirmed 'forensic' report!

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
mathranik, very sad to hear about the incident. Its soothing to hear that you and the other occupants are safe.
Do not rule out any either any niggle or manufacturing defect or any other freak reason that may have been responsible for the unfortunate incident. One must have an open mind at this stage, until the real cause is investigated and zeroed upon.
I am sure you can talk to the media (press and TV reporters) at this stage to highlight the incident.
Please document all the press clippings and TV coverage details that may help you, should you decide to file a case at a competent consumer forum, to claim damages to the car for the incident and for the shock, trauma and agony you and the other passengers went through.
Many of us avoid the legal recourse due to the hassles, but I am sure it is worth all the trouble, because the adverse publicity it generates can rattle the car maker. Also good media briefing with xeroxes of documents and pictures is important to highlight the incident.
You have absolutely talked on the lines I was thinking. It is neither about the monetary aspect nor about a revenge. It is about the fact that it's high time that manufacturers stop handing us peanuts in the name of affordable luxury. Why compromise on simple facts that can be life-taking?! This would definitely go on media records, plus I would look towards putting up a news paper advertisement, if need be.
Thanks very much for your advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjab View Post
@mathranik

This incident could have had a far worse outcome.
Suggest you write to Mr Sreeraman, with photos and a detailed description of the incident. He is the National Head-Service, Tata Motors, Passenger Car Business Unit. His e-mail id is : sree@tatamotors.com

Take care and drive safe
Thank you so much. The next thing, I am writing to this gentleman, expecting something encouraging and responsible in terms of statements, at least!
Old 28th August 2011, 21:35   #21
Senior - BHPian

@mathranik

also mark a copy of the same email to:
1)coffice@tata.com
this goes to ratan tata's office directly and yes - he reads all his mails

2) cpforster@tatamotors.com - Carl Peter Forster, CEO Tata Motors

take care
arjab is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2011, 23:50   #22
Senior - BHPian

@Mathranik,

OMG, thats really bad. This is one of kind of incident. I am glad that none of the car passengers were unhurt. This explains the Tata build.

Are you claiming insurance and have they been contacted? Whats the Tata version of this incident? I hope they come up with a really good cause for the bonnet to fly off in running car.

Keep us posted with the pics and the tata response.
Old 29th August 2011, 00:34   #23
Senior - BHPian

I am shocked at this incident and I can empathise with you since I had a similar experience a few years back when my Amby taxi's bonnet just unlatched and all view was blocked when travelling on the highway. Thank God that all of you are safe.
Please take high resolution pictures of the hinge(s) / lock that gave away before the workshop has any chance to touch it . You should certainly take it up with Tata Motors very strongly , they are a serious serial quality offender. Its a question of people's lives, you and your family's lives damnit ! Please do jump to conclusions, fire all cylinders and blame TATA , the wholistic picture , et al should be none of your worries. You didn't pay your hard earned money to take a call whether its a systemic failure or an one off incident at Tata Motors - the bottomline is that your lives were endangered due to the short comings of a company!
Old 29th August 2011, 05:28   #24
Senior - BHPian

This is a bad incident and i am glad everyone is alright.

I am not surprised that this has happened, I have seen earlier Indicas (Atleast two instances) having their bonnet pop open at speeds below 100 and they either stranded on the road side with no other serious damage or have hit the road divider.

In my school days i have also seen this on older Amby once in our colony.

It is surely a QC problem, and it depends on you how far you would like to go. Forum like these help spread the message of awareness. Do write to Tata motors email ID and see what happens as a first step and then if you are willing you could move forward and maybe approach a Consumer court.
Old 29th August 2011, 13:32   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by souravc View Post
IYou should certainly take it up with Tata Motors very strongly , they are a serious serial quality offender. Its a question of people's lives, you and your family's lives damnit ! Please do jump to conclusions, fire all cylinders and blame TATA , the wholistic picture , et al should be none of your worries. You didn't pay your hard earned money to take a call whether its a systemic failure or an one off incident at Tata Motors - the bottomline is that your lives were endangered due to the short comings of a company!
I am not sure how you are pointing to Tata for this ! What is the guaratntee that the bonnet is not locked properly by the driver / Service center?. Generally before all highway drives people do checks in engine bay as we know ...may be the bonnet was not latched correctly at all and it only popped up once the car gained speed.

although it was a bad accident still i feel it may not be directly attributed to a poor quality of a Tata assembly. It is more of a negligence on part of the car owner/ user ..my views!

We all need to careful all times in any car on these issues ...because its our Lives that are at risk owing to such incidents.
Old 29th August 2011, 14:07   #26
Senior - BHPian

Used to be common enough in the days of the Ambassador. If the main latch let go, or wasn't properly closed, the safety latch was entirely useless in keeping the bonnet from flying up.

I am more surprised at the position of the hinges. Some more pictures of the hinges would be educative.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 29th August 2011, 14:42   #27
Senior - BHPian

I doubt if this would happen with the hood closed securely. Even when opening the hood for inspections or such, after the release lever has been pulled, you have to slide a finger or two in the gap under the hood and slide the latch sideways so the hood can open. So even if the hood release lever malfunctioned, the hood should have stayed in place IMO.

Is the release lever in good and working condition?

Please take photographs of all the parts affected and all the parts which could contribute towards the accident. If you suspect any negligence on part of the service centre where the car was last serviced or the manufacturer in case of a suspected manufacturing defect, if you want to really take this up to them, you must approach a consumer court.

Are you absolutely sure the hood wasn't opened by you/driver for inspection/replenishment of any fluids? There might be a possibility the hood wasn't closed correctly.
Old 29th August 2011, 15:08   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
I doubt if this would happen with the hood closed securely. Even when opening the hood for inspections or such, after the release lever has been pulled, you have to slide a finger or two in the gap under the hood and slide the latch sideways so the hood can open. So even if the hood release lever malfunctioned, the hood should have stayed in place IMO.

Is the release lever in good and working condition?

Please take photographs of all the parts affected and all the parts which could contribute towards the accident. If you suspect any negligence on part of the service centre where the car was last serviced or the manufacturer in case of a suspected manufacturing defect, if you want to really take this up to them, you must approach a consumer court.

Are you absolutely sure the hood wasn't opened by you/driver for inspection/replenishment of any fluids? There might be a possibility the hood wasn't closed correctly.
I am overwhelmed with all these replies, and appreciate the concern. The car started from Surat, having been serviced (2nd service) six days back. All the fluids were replenished back then. The car had already traveled 145 kms non-stop from Surat towards Baroda before this happened. I took the case to Tata dealer, and summoned the regional CSM who inspected the car. His guilt translated to the car being repaired 'at the cost of TML', which basically means they confess to their fault.

The hinge has given up, the bonnet is bulging outwards if you notice, and the lock is only half functional now. I am not drawing to a conclusion yet, but I am 100% positive that the hood was left untouched before embarking upon the travel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Used to be common enough in the days of the Ambassador. If the main latch let go, or wasn't properly closed, the safety latch was entirely useless in keeping the bonnet from flying up.

I am more surprised at the position of the hinges. Some more pictures of the hinges would be educative.

Regards
Sutripta
The hood was properly latched, definitely. On second thoughts, if it wasn't, almost every third person on the road warns you of the hazard! I am sure you must have observed it, similar to the side-stand being down on a two-wheeler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazing View Post
I am not sure how you are pointing to Tata for this ! What is the guaratntee that the bonnet is not locked properly by the driver / Service center?. Generally before all highway drives people do checks in engine bay as we know ...may be the bonnet was not latched correctly at all and it only popped up once the car gained speed.

although it was a bad accident still i feel it may not be directly attributed to a poor quality of a Tata assembly. It is more of a negligence on part of the car owner/ user ..my views!

We all need to careful all times in any car on these issues ...because its our Lives that are at risk owing to such incidents.
I have almost literally spent half my life on the highways, for I drive a lot. Without exaggerating, over a million kilometers and counting! I respect your views and concern, but I hope you have read that I have a total of five cars, all being used extensively on the highways. We have always maintained precautions, been very conscious about the maintenance and well-being of our vehicles, and are positive drivers. The car had maintained 80+kmph for 150 odd kms before this happened. There is no question of car gaining eventual speed and the hood letting go off the lock.

Just my views!
Old 29th August 2011, 15:39   #29
Senior - BHPian

Deformation of hinge is after effect of bonnet's 'flying' opening, so we cannot draw any conclusion. I think closer inspection of lock is required.

Whatever whether it is Tata Motors or user's fault, it is scary. I cannot even imagine something like this happening that too when you are driving at 70-80 KMPH.
Old 29th August 2011, 15:47   #30
BHPian

I have never heard of anything like this. This is indeed very scary and shocking. Good to know no one was injured.

If the bonnet was not latched properly, there would be some indication in the display which you would have noticed anyway. To think of the bonnet releasing itself from the latch and slamming on the windscreen is quite unimaginable. And you were just doing 80 kph.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks