Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th September 2011, 10:50   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: My Fusion TDCI failed pollution test: what to do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
The 70 kmph is ok for your regular driving.

You can do the revving in lower gears also, but 3rd should be the best.
How can you measure engine emissions by connecting to a battery ?

What you have said is not correct. But you are correct on one point - the method has changed. The sensors are placed in a way to measure the oil temp. The emissions are still routed from the exhaust of the vehicle to the emission testing machine.
I think thats done to power their own instruments, the pollution checking centre's.
Old 7th September 2011, 09:54   #32
BHPian

Update:

I got a call from Harpreet Ford's GM works.

He is asking me to send the vehicle at the service centre so that he could get a PUC cert. obtained "from outside".

I have told him I would come personally to the centre on Saturday.

Let's see what he does.
Old 13th September 2011, 19:06   #33
BHPian

Update.

I went to Harpreet Ford, Sahibabad.

As suggested here, I asked them to clean the EGR valve.

A good thing to have happened is, one mechanic from Southcity Ford said he knew me and remembered how I liked things to be cleaned (uff. fussy me).

He took apart the air intake manifold and the EGR valve and cleaned everything.

And I must admit, I have not seen a dirtier intake system anywhere.

It was horrible.

The result:

The exhaust gives the feel of a petrol car. No soot whatsoever.

It took me about four and half hours but the results were good. very good.

I got a pollution check done. The petrol bunk which gave the FAIL certificate gave me the pass certificate. No jugaad, no request, nothing.

The charges:

0.00 The exact figure I got the bill for.

Satisfaction:

The car feels like new. Smoother pickup, no emission (visible) and lesser noise.

I hope the mileage also goes up from the present 11 kms I am getting as of now.

Thanks to all the mates for suggesting and helping me out.

PROBLEM SOLVED.
Old 13th September 2011, 20:02   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepfusion View Post
The car feels like new. Smoother pickup, no emission (visible) and lesser noise.

I hope the mileage also goes up from the present 11 kms I am getting as of now.

Thanks to all the mates for suggesting and helping me out.

PROBLEM SOLVED.
Congrats Deepfusion. Thanks afor updating, good to know that the results are good and the cost is nil. This thread is surely an eye opener for most of the readers and will be the first thing to check in case of any PUC fail.

Happy mile crunching now and drive safely.

BTW do you stick the PUC certificate to the glass or keep in the cubby holes.
Old 13th September 2011, 20:45   #35
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Does anyone still provide the sticker type Certificates? AFAIK, now the PUC is a 1/2 page long print-out on a regular A4 sheet.
Old 14th September 2011, 09:56   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Congrats Deepfusion. Thanks afor updating, good to know that the results are good and the cost is nil. This thread is surely an eye opener for most of the readers and will be the first thing to check in case of any PUC fail.

Happy mile crunching now and drive safely.

Thanks buddy.

Some surprising things are happening.

Like, on Saturday, when I went to the Service center, the distance to empty (DTE) guage was showing 110 kms to empty. The fuel guage was showing 1/4 level of diesel available in the tank.

Today morning, when I reached the office, the car having been driven for about a 100 kms since the cleansing process, the DTE was showing 142 kms to empty. The fuel guage still showing 1/4 level of diesel available in the tank.

The PUC centre has not given me any sticker. For that matter, no PUC center has ever given any sticker to me. May be, its a practice here in Delhi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Does anyone still provide the sticker type Certificates? AFAIK, now the PUC is a 1/2 page long print-out on a regular A4 sheet.
Agreed.
Old 14th September 2011, 10:21   #37
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations deepfusion!!
Looks like the cleaning of intake manifold and EGR valve has bumped up your Fuel Efficiency.
I am waiting to hear the increase in mileage of your Fusion TDCI.
Please do update the thread when you refill again.
Old 14th September 2011, 10:24   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks buddy.

Some surprising things are happening.

Like, on Saturday, when I went to the Service center, the distance to empty (DTE) guage was showing 110 kms to empty. The fuel guage was showing 1/4 level of diesel available in the tank.

Today morning, when I reached the office, the car having been driven for about a 100 kms since the cleansing process, the DTE was showing 142 kms to empty. The fuel guage still showing 1/4 level of diesel available in the tank.

The PUC centre has not given me any sticker. For that matter, no PUC center has ever given any sticker to me. May be, its a practice here in Delhi.

Agreed.
learning curve for the onboard circuitry.
if youwant to speed it up, reboot your car.

(disconnect the battery for about 5-6 minutes)
Old 14th September 2011, 11:59   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Guys, please help.

I drive a Fusion TDCI. The car has failed to pass the pollution under control test yesterday.

What should I do?

I rang up the Service incharge at Harpreet Ford and he told me that these centres (outside the petrol pumps) do not have the equipment required for testing engines of Ford.

What is the solution?

I enquired Ford India helpline, and they also had no information on the issue.

Please help
why check? i believe they used to give the "pass" sticker without even touching the car/vehicle! when there are so many polluting HMV are on road and million liters of fuel is truned into smoke everyday due to bad raod and traffic conditions, who is going to bother about your car? get is check somehwere else, someone who do remote checking, he will give you a "Non-polluting vehicle" sticker.

but if you are concerned about the engine condition, i would say best bet is A.S.S.

Last edited by Suess : 14th September 2011 at 12:26.
Old 14th September 2011, 12:04   #40
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suess View Post
why check? i believe they used to give the "pass" sticker without even touching the car/vehicle! when there are so many polluting HMV are on road and million liters of fuel is truned into smoke everyday due to bad raod and traffic conditions, who is going to bother about your car? get is check somehwere else, someone who do remote checking, he will give you a "Non-polluting vehicle" sticker.
Not a good attitude for a responsible citizen; leave alone a BHPian. If the educated think this way, what do we expect out of cab/truck/bus drivers?

Quote:
but if you are concerned about the engine condition, i would say best bet is ***(without dots it's funny acronym). get it tuned and checked from them.
He already has; problem has been solved.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2011, 13:40   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordmanchau View Post
Congratulations deepfusion!!
Looks like the cleaning of intake manifold and EGR valve has bumped up your Fuel Efficiency.
I am waiting to hear the increase in mileage of your Fusion TDCI.
Please do update the thread when you refill again.
Thanks buddy.

I shall definitely update the thread.

I am also bound for a 6-700 kms journey to be made from Delhi on 22nd of this month.

I shall update the highway mileage figures as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
learning curve for the onboard circuitry.
if youwant to speed it up, reboot your car.

(disconnect the battery for about 5-6 minutes)
What exactly do you mean by "reboot the car"?

I believe it would erase the settings on my head unit also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suess View Post

but if you are concerned about the engine condition, i would say best bet is A.S.S.
Suess, that can be done quite easily. No issues in cheating.

But, a big BUT, somewhere somebody has to start taking responsibility.

If you have not listened, please hear the song "Man in the mirror" by Michael Jackson.

I think you will change your views.

Please do it.

Furthermore, I am saving BIG TIME on the fuel spent.

To add to it, I have to admit that the car has become super smooth, and picks up real good.

It also gives me the mental satisfaction and peace of mind that my vehicle is mechanically okay.

No doubt it was a pain standing there aside the PUC stall waiting for my car's turn, but all of this feeling was gone when the car finally passed the test.
I was indeed concerned about the engine condition also. Its quite alright to get the vehicle thoroughly checked at the A.S.S., but only if they people did their jobs honestly, this problem would never have cropped up. I have meticulously looked after my car from the day I got her.

Quote:
Not a good attitude for a responsible citizen; leave alone a BHPian. If the educated think this way, what do we expect out of cab/truck/bus drivers?

I agree.

Yeah. the problem has been solved. I am a happy person now.

Last edited by deepfusion : 14th September 2011 at 13:42.
deepfusion is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2011, 13:51   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Atleast in Thane its a practice to issue the stickers. Till date I haven't pasted it, keep it along with the car documents or maybe on the dash.
Old 14th September 2011, 14:32   #43
BHPian

Quote:

From deepfusion: "In my case, I got it done, way back in June, 2010, from Rohtak. The guy clicked a photo and asked me to switch off the engine. After about 5 minutes he gave the certificate to me. Same fashion as you mentioned.

But I am worried for the fact that the car is giving more black smoke, not that much more but still there is some soot."

i really appreciate your environmental concerns and your view how a responsible citizen should behave.

when i posted that first reply i was just saying that if everything fine with your car, don't get fooled by these tests. I am sure these test centres have outdated equipments and got their license by bribing their way at authorities.

BTW, Car/vehicle is only one factor of the vehicular pollution among many others. In emission norms we are 5-6 yrs behind Europe and we still driving 10-15yrs old cars/vehicles in NCR and in Cities where no vehicle below BS3/4 is allowed! are we doing something to stop the entry of these vehicles on roads? i don't think so. i can go on whole day, how a responsible citizen should behave.

but i think, i have given you a chance to take moral high grounds by stating the obvious and our "irresponsible behaviour" (be it BHPian or non-BHPian).

Last edited by Suess : 14th September 2011 at 14:58.
Old 5th May 2014, 15:16   #44
BHPian

Hi friends, bumping an old thread. Need your views friends.
I have a swift ZDI jan.12 make run around 14k kms. Last year i got the pollution checked & since it being a BS 4 car , I was issued the certificate for one year validity as all the parameters were ok & the main one (acc. to pollution centre) ie HSU% was 38.(supposed to be below 45 for BS4 cars).
Now, again after one year I went for pollution check & the guy says that the car is polluting more & he cannot give me a certificate for one year & the current pollution levels qualify it as BS3 (HSU% to be below 65) & can give only three month valid certificate. Readings show avg. HSU% to be 64. Now my car was serviced at around 10k in jan.14 & have been using mobil 1 Delvac fully synthetic oil.
Can the forum members please help me to find out what is wrong with my car & what should I do to rectify it. Also the avg. mileage on the speedo always shows 15.4 , Is it ok for swift diesel. Thanks in advance .
Old 5th May 2014, 15:47   #45
Senior - BHPian

From the Kms on ODO looks a very low mileage and low usage car. Looks like the exhaust is clogged up with soot from low RPM city running (bumper to bumper?). Try this and see what happens...

1) Start the car, warm up the engine with a 3-5Km normal drive, see that the temperature is risen to normal running temp.

2) Park/pullover where no one is behind your car and just floor the throttle to 4000-4500Rpms for continous 5-10 seconds, repeat for 5-10 times.

You should see a ton of black soot just poof! out of the silencer. Let the turbo cool down for a idle-2-3 minutes and shut the engine.

See if this helps in PUCert?

Else do as per post 33 above ^^. Got to check/clean/replace air filter, EGR, Intake, Exhaust pipes.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks