Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th May 2014, 16:04   #46
BHPian

Re: My Fusion TDCI failed pollution test: what to do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepfusion View Post
Guys, please help.

I drive a Fusion TDCI. The car has failed to pass the pollution under control test yesterday.

What should I do?

I rang up the Service incharge at Harpreet Ford and he told me that these centres (outside the petrol pumps) do not have the equipment required for testing engines of Ford.

What is the solution?

I enquired Ford India helpline, and they also had no information on the issue.

Please help
Hello Deepfusion,
I see there something really non sense going on with the PUC guy.I am sure his equipment has gone bonkers and he still has the audacity to say that the car is failing the test.
Once, even I was about to get conned but in a slightly different way.He handed me a handwritten data for my cars emission.Upon probing a bit further I figured out that his equipment was defunct since quite some time.I gave him a earfull and walked away with the PUC certificate without giving him even a penny.
Suggest you to try a more genuine and authentic PUC center and cross check whether the emission is really outside permissible limits.
Old 5th May 2014, 16:29   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by piyush78 View Post
Can the forum members please help me to find out what is wrong with my car & what should I do to rectify it.
Hi Piyush,

I had a similar experience at PUC Centre at Petrol Pump on the begining of Defence Colony Flyover when driving from Moolchand.

Mine is a 2010 Beat LT Petrol (a 90% city car) and last year March I got a 1 year valid PUC certificate from the same centre. When I was testing this March, the guy told me that the Lambda value is less and he can only provide a 3 months certificate or I should take the care for the service which include de-carbonizing, exhaust cleaning etc. I was like . My car is well maintained and I fuel the car from regular known pumps for strict fuel quality. Then he told me that he will try once more. He started the engine and give some hard acceleration and hit close to 4K RPM few times before settling for the idle RPM. Now I passed the PUC with flying colors and he advised me to accelerate the car close to 4K atleast once in a week to clear carbon deposits in cylinder heads, valves, exhaust, Cat Con etc. I realize that I never took my car more than say 2.8K RPM while driving.

So the conclusion is, occasionally you need to forget about the "egg" under the accelerator pedal which is good for your car and atmosphere.

Cheers!

Vinu
Old 5th May 2014, 16:52   #48
BHPian

Its true.

It has been posted on some other thread that if using a diesel car, once in a while, may be a fortnight, rev it hard (to about 3000 rpm) for a continuous duration of about 30 seconds to clear all the soot from the exhaust.

This will take care of PUC checks, and also keep the engine and the egr valves also happy.
Old 5th May 2014, 17:05   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi friends, bumping an old thread. Need your views friends.
I have a swift ZDI jan.12 make run around 14k kms. Last year i got the pollution checked & since it being a BS 4 car , I was issued the certificate for one year validity as all the parameters were ok & the main one (acc. to pollution centre) ie HSU% was 38.(supposed to be below 45 for BS4 cars).
Now, again after one year I went for pollution check & the guy says that the car is polluting more & he cannot give me a certificate for one year & the current pollution levels qualify it as BS3 (HSU% to be below 65) & can give only three month valid certificate. Readings show avg. HSU% to be 64. Now my car was serviced at around 10k in jan.14 & have been using mobil 1 Delvac fully synthetic oil.
Can the forum members please help me to find out what is wrong with my car & what should I do to rectify it. Also the avg. mileage on the speedo always shows 15.4 , Is it ok for swift diesel. Thanks in advance .

If you do a lot of bumper to bumper running then the soot would have built up inside the silencer. So your car needs a Italian tune up. Hit the highway or a long good stretch , slot to 3rd gear and revv the car to 3000 RPM and for some 5 mins. All the soot will be cleared. Go to the PUC check immediately . Numbers should be fine then. If not then go to service center to figure out what is the issue
Old 5th May 2014, 22:36   #50
BHPian

Thanks for your inputs friends.I will definitely try it out this weekend and update the thread.Only grouse is that swift's brakes cannot handle the monstrous engine at highway speeds (even in a ZDI) or I may add even city speeds sometimes.Will have to look for a deserted stretch.
Old 6th May 2014, 00:04   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for your inputs friends.I will definitely try it out this weekend and update the thread.Only grouse is that swift's brakes cannot handle the monstrous engine at highway speeds (even in a ZDI) or I may add even city speeds sometimes.Will have to look for a deserted stretch.
You could rev it while parked. Easier.
Like Santosh said a few posts back.
Old 6th May 2014, 06:55   #52
BANNED

Quote:
Only grouse is that swift's brakes cannot handle the monstrous engine at highway speeds (even in a ZDI) or I may add even city speeds sometimes.Will have to look for a deserted stretch.
No buddy the ZDi has a much better brake setup as compared to 'L' & 'V' variants. I own a Swift ZDi and haven't faced any kind of braking issues till date. I have done 12K in 4 months.

Moreover ABS helps in raising the confidence even more.

Anurag.
Old 6th May 2014, 07:27   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Begging your pardon.... exactly how?

On the topic of the fusion tdci failing the PUC test.
I agree, take the car to a well known center. Do the revving before you arrive. One other thing I do is ensure to get my cars up to normal operating temperature. I never get the PUC done on an engine that's still warming up.

Last edited by joybhowmik : 6th May 2014 at 07:29.
Old 6th May 2014, 08:06   #54
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by joybhowmik View Post
Begging your pardon.... exactly how?
I have sent you a PM.

Generally Italian tune-up every 2000 kms will help if the car is driven in highways. If it is city driving majorly then it can done every 1000 kms.

Anurag.
Old 6th May 2014, 11:08   #55
BHPian

Would changing the diesel quality help ? Could the PUC fail be due to bad quality diesel ? Will it help if you use shell diesel for your PUC check ? I am happy with the normal HP diesel and I have never used shell diesel till now . Just curious as why his car failed the PUC .
Old 6th May 2014, 12:32   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girimajiananth View Post
Would changing the diesel quality help ? Could the PUC fail be due to bad quality diesel ? Will it help if you use shell diesel for your PUC check ? I am happy with the normal HP diesel and I have never used shell diesel till now . Just curious as why his car failed the PUC .
No. Changing diesel quality to a higher grade would worsen the issue. You have two options, or better still, one to be followed after the other:

1. rev the engine to 3000 rpm and keep it there for some 5-7 minutes to clear the soot buildup,
2. get the EGR valve cleaned.

The issue will in all likelihood get resolved.
deepfusion is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2014, 12:50   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
No buddy the ZDi has a much better brake setup as compared to 'L' & 'V' variants. I own a Swift ZDi and haven't faced any kind of braking issues till date. I have done 12K in 4 months.

Anurag.
Dear Anurag,

The brakes on ZDI might be better than say a L or a V variant, but they are not exactly one of the better setups available. Do compare with some other cars . I also own a Ertiga ZDI & believe me it has a much better bite than the swift. For this issue , the service centre guys have no solution, but to bleed , reflash the ECM , once they also reflashed the BCM (body control module) which had some error codes, but to no avail.
The exact problem is that the pedal requires extra force & is hard sometimes( not always). I am seriously thinking of better rally grade disc pads or maybe the discs also like DBA or Hawk pads.
Also, I read somewhere that despite having almost everything same, the ertiga has larger rear brake drums than swift , which may contribute to better brake capability. These are my opinions & you all are welcome to share your thoughts

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks