Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2011, 13:20   #1
BHPian

My Fusion TDCI failed pollution test: what to do?

Guys, please help.

I drive a Fusion TDCI. The car has failed to pass the pollution under control test yesterday.

What should I do?

I rang up the Service incharge at Harpreet Ford and he told me that these centres (outside the petrol pumps) do not have the equipment required for testing engines of Ford.

What is the solution?

I enquired Ford India helpline, and they also had no information on the issue.

Please help
Old 5th September 2011, 13:35   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: My TDCI failed pollution test: what to do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepfusion View Post
Guys, please help.

I drive a Fusion TDCI. The car has failed to pass the pollution under control test yesterday.

What should I do?
I don't believe that your car didn't pass the test

Get the test done elsewhere and see ; sometimes you get the benefit of zero error in the testing machine

Tonnes of pollutants are being discharged into the atmosphere through unchecked sources ; such sources go scot free
Old 5th September 2011, 13:58   #3
Senior - BHPian

Most of the time the pollution testing machines would not have been calibrated properly hence not to worry get it checked in another place. Ideally at your Authorised Service center.

If the pollution check again fails the second time get your EGRs cleaned and retest. the car will surely pass the test. All modern cars are way below the pollution control limit required to pass the test.
DieselFan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th September 2011, 14:03   #4
Senior - BHPian

I am surprised that these Pollution check centers actually produce a failure certificate.
Who will go them the next time?

But assuming that it is indeed correct, what pollutant did your car fail to comply with?
Old 5th September 2011, 14:31   #5
Senior - BHPian

Was your car cold before testing or were you driving it for awhile before the test. My recommendation drive it for close to 30 mins and then go for another test. Most of the good Pollution testing places let your car engine run for sometime before inserting that thingy in the exhaust pipe, maybe this guy did not do it.

Engine in the first few mins does emit more pollutants and then later stabilizes.
Old 5th September 2011, 14:37   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFan View Post
Most of the time the pollution testing machines would not have been calibrated properly hence not to worry get it checked in another place. Ideally at your Authorised Service center.

If the pollution check again fails the second time get your EGRs cleaned and retest. the car will surely pass the test. All modern cars are way below the pollution control limit required to pass the test.
The car is indeed throwing lots of black smoke.

Plus the A.S.S. don't have the pollution measuring equipment with them.
Old 5th September 2011, 14:45   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The car is indeed throwing lots of black smoke.
has the car pickup come down due to black smoke (Effectiveness of Turbo). If that is true then get your intercooler checked.when did you get EGR cleaned last? If it is more than say 30000 kms it is time for a cleanup.
Old 5th September 2011, 14:52   #8
BHPian

Quote:
If that is true then get your intercooler checked.when did you get EGR cleaned last? If it is more than say 30000 kms it is time for a cleanup.
1.4 TDCi is just turbo motor, no intercooler. Is that correct?
Old 5th September 2011, 15:02   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys, please help.

What should I do?
1. Get your vehicle serviced at a good service station where the service folks are hopefully knowledgable

2. Get them to check the calibration of of the diesel pump.
3. Get the fuel injectors cleaned
4. Get the air filter and diesel filters cleaned / replaced.

Your vehicle should pass the pollution test.

There is a slightly "unorthodox" way in which a diesel car may pass a pollution test. In most cases what happens, is that during the pollution test, when the throttle is blipped, a diesel car emits clouds of soot which often mucks up the readings.
To get around this problem, you can :
1) park your Fusion on a moderately steep slope (rear of car facing downwards)
2) take a garden hose and squirt some water in the tailpipe - gently do it - don't use a jet of water - the water pressure should be low.
Let the tailpipe section fill with a resonable amount of water and then start the engine & blip the throttle hard.
The combination of water and you car parked on a slope with tail downwards -you will find a whole lot of black soot - almost like custard - oozing out of the tail pipe as the water "cleans" the innards. Repeat this process till the muck lessens to an extent and then go for the pollution check !
It worked with me in my Indica every time !!
arjab is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th September 2011, 15:07   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The car has failed to pass the pollution under control test yesterday.
Very surprising, considering that modern car's are well below the emission limits. Are you sure its not a scam, making you to pay more to get, the certificate? In any case, get the test done at a different center.

btw, why exactly did the car fail?. I mean, what part of the exhaust gases weren't within limits?. Check your cat-con, in addition to EGR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebird View Post
Correct
Old 5th September 2011, 15:07   #11
Senior - BHPian

A similar thing happened to me last to last week. I took my Swift DDiS for a pollution check and the guy tells me that it's failed the pollution test. I ask him to check again and he says that the readings are beyond the limit and it would definitely generate a fail certificate. I was not in my best mood so told him to just get his equipment out of the car real quick.

So I'm in office and decide to give the 'near to office' pollution check centre a try. Now this is what happens. I go to this petrol pump (near Signature Towers in Gurgaon) and ask the guy to do a pollution check. He takes a pic with a digicam and asks me if the car is a diesel or petrol. I tell him its a diesel and 20 seconds later I have a pass certificate in my hand. Mind it, no check done and I've got a certificate.

I ask him that he didn't check anything so how did he get the readings. The guy gives me a mean look (which says do you want the certificate or not) and I'm on my way. Now the job was done without a single extra rupee but I asked myself what if the car's emissions were actually beyond the permissible limits. So I go to another petrol pump on my way back home and ask him to check if the car's emissions are in place or not. I tell him that I only want to get it checked and wouldn't want to pay. No, he doesn't agree to do it for free and about a minute later we settle on 20 rupees for a pollution check. Now as per this guy everything is in order and for 40 (or was it 30) more rupees he can get me a pass pollution certificate. I don't get any certificate from him but this tells me that it might not always be the car, at times it could very well be the tools (uncalibrated?) used.

However, during the gap between these two checks I got the oil & oil filter changed for my car. Could it have made a difference?
Old 5th September 2011, 15:15   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: My Fusion TDCI failed pollution test: what to do?

Quote:
Guys, please help.

What should I do?

I rang up the Service incharge at Harpreet Ford and he told me that these centres (outside the petrol pumps) do not have the equipment required for testing engines of Ford.

What is the solution?

I enquired Ford India helpline, and they also had no information on the issue.

Please help

get some basic tuneups done at ford, costs about 500 bucks.
You should clear it.

That statement by ford guys was hilarious though:
"I rang up the Service incharge at Harpreet Ford and he told me that these centres (outside the petrol pumps) do not have the equipment required for testing engines of Ford."

our CO2 is different, sir!!
Old 5th September 2011, 15:20   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
Was your car cold before testing or were you driving it for awhile before the test. My recommendation drive it for close to 30 mins and then go for another test. Most of the good Pollution testing places let your car engine run for sometime before inserting that thingy in the exhaust pipe, maybe this guy did not do it.

Engine in the first few mins does emit more pollutants and then later stabilizes.
The car was not cold. I had been driving it for close to 35 minutes before I went to the centre.

What is surprising is that the A.S.S. incharge told me to pay some extra bucks to the guy and get a pass certificate.
Quote:
has the car pickup come down due to black smoke (Effectiveness of Turbo). If that is true then get your intercooler checked.when did you get EGR cleaned last? If it is more than say 30000 kms it is time for a cleanup.
The pickup is in fact increased after the service this time.

The car doesn't have an intercooler.

I shall try and get the EGR valve cleaned.

What is the technique they will follow while cleaning the valve?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebird View Post
Yes. The car does not have an inter cooler.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Please use the "edit" button if posting within 30 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Also use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 5th September 2011 at 17:07.
Old 5th September 2011, 15:24   #14
Senior - BHPian

Re: My Fusion TDCI failed pollution test: what to do?

Came across this piece of information regarding the PUC test. As per the information it says that for the diesel vehices the pollution levels need to be noted with the acceleration pedal fully pressed. @Deepfusion was this done in your case or was it just under the engine idling? Also an average of 5 such readings should be taken.

Please verify if the centre where you had you PUC done was an authorized one or not.

Motor Vehicles Department ( R.T.O.) , Maharashtra
Old 5th September 2011, 15:40   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjab View Post
1. Get your vehicle serviced at a good service station where the service folks are hopefully knowledgable
This is one very difficult proposition you have made.

Ford. In Delhi. Then knowledgeable. Pretty much impossible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
A similar thing happened to me last to last week. I took my Swift DDiS for a pollution check and the guy tells me that it's failed the pollution test. I ask him to check again and he says that the readings are beyond the limit and it would definitely generate a fail certificate. I was not in my best mood so told him to just get his equipment out of the car real quick.

So I'm in office and decide to give the 'near to office' pollution check centre a try. Now this is what happens. I go to this petrol pump (near Signature Towers in Gurgaon) and ask the guy to do a pollution check. He takes a pic with a digicam and asks me if the car is a diesel or petrol. I tell him its a diesel and 20 seconds later I have a pass certificate in my hand. Mind it, no check done and I've got a certificate.

I ask him that he didn't check anything so how did he get the readings. The guy gives me a mean look (which says do you want the certificate or not) and I'm on my way. Now the job was done without a single extra rupee but I asked myself what if the car's emissions were actually beyond the permissible limits. So I go to another petrol pump on my way back home and ask him to check if the car's emissions are in place or not. I tell him that I only want to get it checked and wouldn't want to pay. No, he doesn't agree to do it for free and about a minute later we settle on 20 rupees for a pollution check. Now as per this guy everything is in order and for 40 (or was it 30) more rupees he can get me a pass pollution certificate. I don't get any certificate from him but this tells me that it might not always be the car, at times it could very well be the tools (uncalibrated?) used.

However, during the gap between these two checks I got the oil & oil filter changed for my car. Could it have made a difference?
Yes, people in Haryana have this habit of giving PUC certificate without checking the car.

In my case, I got it done, way back in June, 2010, from Rohtak. The guy clicked a photo and asked me to switch off the engine. After about 5 minutes he gave the certificate to me. Same fashion as you mentioned.

But I am worried for the fact that the car is giving more black smoke, not that much more but still there is some soot.

I have got my car serviced very recently, and the car has done less than 1000 kms since then. So, engine oil and oil filter are supposedly new/clean.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
get some basic tuneups done at ford, costs about 500 bucks.
You should clear it.

That statement by ford guys was hilarious though:
"I rang up the Service incharge at Harpreet Ford and he told me that these centres (outside the petrol pumps) do not have the equipment required for testing engines of Ford."

our CO2 is different, sir!!
What exactly are you referring to when you say "basic tuneups"?

Which Ford A.S.S. in Delhi has this equipment?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Came across this piece of information regarding the PUC test. As per the information it says that for the diesel vehices the pollution levels need to be noted with the acceleration pedal fully pressed. @Deepfusion was this done in your case or was it just under the engine idling? Also an average of 5 such readings should be taken.

Please verify if the centre where you had you PUC done was an authorized one or not.

Motor Vehicles Department ( R.T.O.) , Maharashtra
The guy pressed the accelerator pedal hard and then lifted his foot off the pedal. He repeated this procedure 10 times, and gave the readings.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Please use the "edit" button if posting within 30 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Also use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 5th September 2011 at 16:50.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks