Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th September 2011, 22:57   #31
BHPian

Re: Car approaching 200K kms ,what areas to be taken care of

Most things covered by the experts here!

Also get rubber parts like steering rack boot and CV boots (Both axle side and differential side) replaced. [CV boots have already been mentioned earlier]
Rubber hardens and cracks with age, and a torn boot may let dirt enter the mechanisms and wear them out real quick.

Check your CV Joints for wear as well. ( Turn the steering to extreme left, and drive slowly- a clicking noise from the wheels indicate wear. do the same with the steering turned to extreme right as well)

fresh grease for the CVs would be nice even if they are not worn.

Also give all rubber plumbing in the engine bay a quick scan for cracked surfaces, which might lead to leaks.

PS: Is your engine still running original pistons? ie never had an overhaul?
Old 9th September 2011, 23:30   #32
BHPian

people have been mentioning that decarbonizing the engine too often isnt good since some amount of carbon is required to form a seal. this is only true when the engine has been running with that carbon in place for a significant time and the wear of the engine happens to accomodate the carbon with new tolerances. however an engine that has never had any significant amount of carbon in the first place shouldnt have any problem with not having any carbon
the flip side to this is that,is decarbonizing really required? for diesels it definitely is. But for petrol, i dont think so. engine oil has many additive and two of those are, detergents and agents to keep contaminants in suspension within the oil. if you change the oil before it burns away these additives, your engine will anyways have negligible carbon buildup.
infact an engine that is all black inside due to late oil changes will itself get decarbonized if you make a few quick oil changes thereon.

also please dont drive your car with the decarbonizer in it since it doesnt have the lubricating properties of oil and will cause extensive wear when the engine is under load or revving higher than idle

your car can easily clock 3 lakh kms if taken care of. it was designed for that. its only in india that we sell off cars within 3-5 years and 50k kms.

for the record i also own a 98 model carb maruti 800 that has run on gas all its life. first 80k on lpg the rest on cng. it got an a/c at 1lakh(ac's in 800s are supposed to reduce engine life)the car has done 1.8 lakh kms on the original engine and does smoke on very cold winter mornings but otherwise it runs fine. the engine feels tired and loose but does the job and the car can still return 20 kmpl. the smoke issue i suspect could be the head since the compression is still good.

engine overhauls are just fine if done properly.dont fear them , although im pretty sure you wont need them for a long long time but the compression test will tell you the whole story. get it done and share with us, the results. ill be getting the 800 OH'd soon. maybe ill do it myself. its no biggie. there is a thread by a member by the name 'sir alec'. he is a land rover enthusiast and rebuilt his 800's engine at 2lakh kms ......himself

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...d-project.html

check it out

Last edited by mycarhasablower : 9th September 2011 at 23:33.
mycarhasablower is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2011, 00:04   #33
BHPian

Great to see that you have maintained your Zen so well that you could run it for 2L kms. Hats off to you.

couple of questions:
1. Do you get the vehicle serviced at Maruti Service Center?
2. If yes, do you ask for the additional replacements that you mentioned in the first post?
3. Don't you face any rattling issues? If yes, how do you solve it?

Thanks in advance
Old 10th September 2011, 22:33   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Congrats on achieving the 200K Mark. Now you are up there with HVK (He has two 200K + Vehicles).

Some amount of carbon is good for a petrol engine and I think you should atleast increase the interval if not altogether stop it.
I didn't understand the logic behind this statement. could you kindly elaborate?
Old 12th September 2011, 11:59   #35
BHPian

Congrats on completing 200K . my Zen (march 2001) has done 125K and people wonder at the 'showroom' condition of my car )

1. The engine is silent and there are hardly any rattles in the body.
2. The only peculiar problem I have faced is that the indicator/headlight console got shorted twice and had to be replaced.
3. Other replacements like axle, bushes, timing belt, steering suspension were done at completion of appropriate km.
4. One engine flush done at 115000 km
5. Throttle body cleaned at 100,000 km (compulsory though not mentioned in book)

Please remember to get the internal engine oil filter (steel mesh) replaced else the bearing could seize and repair cost ~ Rs. 4500

BTW the ac compressor makes a noise at start up and therefter runs a bit rough....is repair possible since I think a bearing requires replacement OR should I go for a new one? I have used R134 oil in the compressor as R12 does gas is not avble any longer. The mileage is ~ 12.5 with ac and 15 w/o

Not selling the car as very emotionally attached to her, hardly use as it is the 4th car in the house, I LOVE driving her despite owning Luxury segment $$ wasting cars. Still clean her and look after her myself with drivers told to keep their hands off
Old 12th September 2011, 21:40   #36
BHPian

Do the most important thing -- change the timing belt, the tensioners for the timing belt and the water pump. Get the radiator and heater hoses checked. Change the brake fluid, and get the radiator flushed.
The G10B, if taken care of, can easily clock 300,000 kms without an overhaul. But you have to change the water pump, timing belt, tensioner and idler pulleys for the timing belt. Also get the the timing belt cove replaced.
Check the tie-rod and axle boots for wear and tear.

I forgot to add, I clocked 285,000 kms in my zen.

Last edited by thermalpaste : 12th September 2011 at 21:42.
Old 14th September 2011, 14:58   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycarhasablower View Post
is decarbonizing really required? for diesels it definitely is. But for petrol, i dont think so. engine oil has many additive and two of those are, detergents and agents to keep contaminants in suspension within the oil. if you change the oil before it burns away these additives, your engine will anyways have negligible carbon buildup.
infact an engine that is all black inside due to late oil changes will itself get decarbonized if you make a few quick oil changes thereon.
I really dont agree with this..
Carbon build up is not only due to "late" oil changes and cannot be remedied by a quick fresh oil change.Open up your bottom end and see if its as easy to remove the carbon ? or even your top end and see if its so easy to remove it ?
This quick oil change will not solve your carbon problems.
Really its just not that simple..there are many ways of getting carbon built up and many diff places it can build up and needs to be removed in corresponding diff ways; Top end/bottom end have diff buildups..
TB,Pistons, valves, intake plenums, runners etc etc
Just a few examples considering a bone stock engine with no modifications being owned by a regular guy.
1] old plugs = bad spark = incomplete combustion and unburn fuel = sooty carbon buildup over a period of time
2] timing not set properly = spark at wrong time = incomplete combustion and unburnt fuel = sooty carbon buildup over a period of time
3] engine running rich ..in case of say carb engine with an incorrect setting. (or ECU engines with a screwed up sensors, low probability but still a possibility)
4] Bad fuel - This is India - I dont know what kind of cocktails we have been filling in our cars , atleast I have experienced pretty bad fuels in my engines liftime.
5] blowback from intake side - incorrectly set tappets, valves will create some blowback after a period of time.. (intake valves can also get burnt)
6] breather hoses from valve cover/PCV/EGR etc - these contribute to the oily, sooty carbon buildup in the TB/intake/runners etc sending all sort of crap into your intake
7] Idling for long periods, short runs etc
8]
9]
..You get the picture.
there are 100 of places and reasons for this build up.
Guys plz correct me if I'm wrong, or add more stuff you can think of I may have missed out on.

Quote:
your car can easily clock 3 lakh kms if taken care of. it was designed for that. its only in india that we sell off cars within 3-5 years and 50k kms.
Cars ar designed for 3 lakh KMs but the factors influencing the cars to give up by at 50K are endless..
People dont service regularly, how many % of people are particular about their engine maintenance outside of TBHP ?
Garages/service stations dont service the cars and even if they do how much chance is there they have done it right ?
See our road conditions, we need offroaders, not talking about the smoothness of the roads only ..see the amount of dust, condition of fuels, heat etc.
Also ther emaybe incidents of people (non gearheads) being able to manage to reach 2lakh/3 lakh etc but does that car really feel like they have life left in them.managing to each 3lakh barely VS doing 3 lakh and still having "respectable performance" are 2 different things.

Quote:
(ac's in 800s are supposed to reduce engine life)the car has done 1.8 lakh
hmm..any thoughts on how this maybe happening ?

Quote:
engine overhauls are just fine if done properly.dont fear them
There is an "if" in the middle of the sentence.
Is it really worth it ?

Quote:
get it done and share with us, the results. ill be getting the 800 OH'd soon. maybe ill do it myself. its no biggie.
Wow ..are you sure its not a biggie getting it done yourself ?
How extensive are you planning this OH ?
Atleast its a biggie for me, I'm still learning and still have a long way to go even after seeing some stuff on the shop floor and getting my hands greasy ... of course manual in one hand spanner in other hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by thermalpaste View Post
Do the most important thing -- change the timing belt, the tensioners for the timing belt and the water pump. Get the radiator and heater hoses checked. Change the brake fluid, and get the radiator flushed.
The G10B, if taken care of, can easily clock 300,000 kms without an overhaul. But you have to change the water pump, timing belt, tensioner and idler pulleys for the timing belt. Also get the the timing belt cove replaced.
Check the tie-rod and axle boots for wear and tear.

I forgot to add, I clocked 285,000 kms in my zen.
Awesome..
Is it still running well ? hows the mileage coming along ?
Still having the same clutch ?

Last edited by Technocrat : 15th September 2011 at 00:03.
Old 29th September 2011, 14:25   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
Compression test..yeah ...this has been noted down..
Any updates on the compression test ..how did it go?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks