Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th September 2011, 20:56   #1
Senior - BHPian

Remote unlock wont work, sets off alarm on manual unlock

Hello Folks,
I have a 2010 Swift ZXi , which comes with a factory fitted security system.
Today evening, as I tried to unlock using the remote, but nothing happened. So I thought, okay, could be a battery issue in the key fob. So I tried to manually unlock it (for the first time since I bought it btw) by inserting key into the door. It unlocked fine, no issues. But as soon as I opened the door, the alarm started shrieking.
Since the remote wasnt working, I couldnt hit the disable button. No amount of locking unlocking from the door was helping. I finally manually locked the door again. That managed to stop the shrieking.
Since it was raining, and I really had to go somewhere with my family, decided to try the spare key fob. That didnt help, and the same thing as above was repeated.
I tried starting the engine, and that starts just fine. All the telltale signs on the panel lit up and went away just fine.
What could be the issue ? How can I stop the alarm from ringing when my key fob doesnt seem to work ? No amount of toggling with the alarm switch in the dashboard panel is helping.
I am going to call the workshop first thing tomorrow morning. Any solutions, meanwhile ?

EDIT : I tried searching for similar threads, but couldnt find any. Mods can merge this one with existing thread if it exists.
Old 6th September 2011, 21:19   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: Remote unlock wont work, sets off alarm on manual unlock

What brand is the remote locking? If this came during purchase, it should be Piranha.

I have the same thing on my Zen. If you lock using the remote, the doors have to be unlocked using the remote itself; if you unlock manually, it will sound the alarm. It goes off ONLY if you unlock using the remote.

Only option - drive off.

Most likely, the battery would have run out of juice; hence the remote didn't function.

Btw, I'm not sure of this but at times the alarm does stop once you start the car. It goes on at ignition but stops once the car is started.
Old 6th September 2011, 21:53   #3
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Libran. But my system is a Nippon. (Opened the key fob and checked).
My first thought is that the fuse must be blown. But according to the manual , the fuse is shared with the hazard lights and rear defogger as well. And those are working. As in, hazards start blinking as soon as the alarm starts sounding.
I find it very disconcerting to drive with a shrieking alarm, so I am not trying that right now.
Old 6th September 2011, 21:56   #4
BHPian

disconnect the Alarm buzzer from the engine bay.
Old 6th September 2011, 22:18   #5
BHPian

Hi.

My dad's esteem is also fitted with a Nippon security system. Read its user's manual a long time back, and it said that in case of lost remote/ inoperative remote, the car can be opened manually, and a secret code entered via the security button in the dash to disarm the system. ( the red LED that keeps blinking indicating an armed system- its a button as well- generally located at the lower right side of the dash beside the steering). default code is 1234 and has to be entered like {push- wiat a sec- push push- wait a sec-push push push push....u got it) check your owners manual to confirm how your model operates.

Ps: removing the alarm buzzer will get rid of the noise, but hazards will still keep flashing.

PPS:I once tried starting my esteem with the alarm system triggered, and it did not start as the system immobilise it, until i disabled the system via the remote. Shouldn't you swift be behaving in a similar manner?
Old 6th September 2011, 22:54   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
Hello Folks,
I have a 2010 Swift ZXi , which comes with a factory fitted security system.
Today evening, as I tried to unlock using the remote, but nothing happened. So I thought, okay, could be a battery issue in the key fob. So I tried to manually unlock it (for the first time since I bought it btw) by inserting key into the door. It unlocked fine, no issues. But as soon as I opened the door, the alarm started shrieking.
Since the remote wasnt working, I couldnt hit the disable button. No amount of locking unlocking from the door was helping. I finally manually locked the door again. That managed to stop the shrieking.
Since it was raining, and I really had to go somewhere with my family, decided to try the spare key fob. That didnt help, and the same thing as above was repeated.
I tried starting the engine, and that starts just fine. All the telltale signs on the panel lit up and went away just fine.
What could be the issue ? How can I stop the alarm from ringing when my key fob doesnt seem to work ? No amount of toggling with the alarm switch in the dashboard panel is helping.
I am going to call the workshop first thing tomorrow morning. Any solutions, meanwhile ?

EDIT : I tried searching for similar threads, but couldnt find any. Mods can merge this one with existing thread if it exists.
Sajo, i think your remote battery has died out - this would be clear if you try using the spare key . W.R.T stopping the shrieking , you disconnect the battery and reconnect , it resets the lock . Post re-connection use the manual option of lock/unlock ( i.e. the key rather than remote) , till you get your key working . I am speaking from my experience with my 2006 Swift , hope the lock of 2010 is not too different.
Old 6th September 2011, 23:01   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by souravc View Post
Sajo, i think your remote battery has died out - this would be clear if you try using the spare key . W.R.T stopping the shrieking , you disconnect the battery and reconnect , it resets the lock .
Tried with the spare key. Same result. The car is about 15 months old. Can the battery die out so soon with moderate usage ?
The batteries in the remote of our other car are still going strong after about 7 years.
Old 6th September 2011, 23:25   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Tried with the spare key. Same result. The car is about 15 months old. Can the battery die out so soon with moderate usage ?
The batteries in the remote of our other car are still going strong after about 7 years.
If its same result then it would be too much of a coincidence - I would rule out battery dying out in both of them at the same time . Usually the batteries last at least for 3-4 years, does the keys have any lights which glow when pressed? It looks like some malfunction in the receiver of your base unit since you say nothing is happening. There may either be lack of power supply to the base unit (simple problem ) or a malfunction in the receiving or decoding function of the base unit which is why its not able to decode the instruction of the remote key .
Old 6th September 2011, 23:39   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ojas, please check the manual of the Nippon security system. You should be able to enter a code to disable the alarm using a combination of the alarm button on the dashboard and by using the door. This should be explained in the manual.

-Biju
Old 7th September 2011, 00:52   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Remove the fuse to the security system from the fuse box. Your hazard lights wont work but you can get the car running. Alternatively you can disconnect the security system by disconnecting the power supply wires of the system connected to the battery (easily identifiable thin wires). Be sure you tape off the open ends to avoid short circuit. After this you can drive to the workshop and get it fixed.
Old 7th September 2011, 08:33   #11
BHPian

Quote:
I find it very disconcerting to drive with a shrieking alarm, so I am not trying that right now.
Don't drive like that!
Cops might stop you & it might get really embarrassing .

Most probably, the central locking 'box' is faulty. Check for water seepage in the passenger & driver footwells. The alarm siren will have only one wire going to it & it will most probably have a push in connector. Disconnect it & the siren will no longer sound.
Old 7th September 2011, 09:56   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by souravc View Post
Sajo, i think your remote battery has died out - this would be clear if you try using the spare key . W.R.T stopping the shrieking , you disconnect the battery and reconnect , it resets the lock . Post re-connection use the manual option of lock/unlock ( i.e. the key rather than remote) , till you get your key working . I am speaking from my experience with my 2006 Swift , hope the lock of 2010 is not too different.
That should do it. Replace the battery in the remote and check, in the meantime do the "disconnect car battery" thingy.
Old 7th September 2011, 10:08   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Once it happened to me.. so irritating, i cut off the beeper and threw it away. i never liked the beeper, now it just blinks/flashes to confirm the lock and unlock and i like it that way.
Old 7th September 2011, 11:48   #14
BHPian

The same happened to my car few days. Remote batteries died and on manual opening, the alarm starts to buzz. However, in my case, i locked the car doors from inside after starting the car and the alarm used to go off. Please try the same and see, if it helps.
Old 7th September 2011, 11:54   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

open the bay, look for the bullhorn(usually near the firewall), look for the clip connector and disconnect it .

This will disable the noise only, though.
the alarm is till on, so next stop in this quiet car should be your nippon dealer/installer.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks