Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th September 2011, 17:51   #1
BHPian

Hackers could make your car unsafe and expose to dangers

Would you want to have Bluetooth in your cars??

Read on..

Hackers could shut down your running car and expose you to all-too-sudden dangers - so beware, says anti-virus firm McAfee.
It warns that greater reliance on computers and bluetooth-enabled functions exposes cars to malicious hacking.
"As more and more functions get embedded in the digital technology of automobiles, the threat of attack and malicious manipulation increases," McAfee senior vice president Stuart McClure said.
Criminals could wreck havoc since software is embedded in many devices - from airbags and radios to seats and cruise control systems.
Researchers have already shown how opening doors and turning on the ignition just using text messages is now possible, the Daily Mail reports.
Potential attacks include disabling a car remotely, unlocking and starting it with a cellphone, tracking a driver's location, stealing personal data via a bluetooth system and disrupting satellite navigation, according to a McAfee report.
"It's one thing to have your email or laptop compromised but having your car hacked could translate to dire risks to your personal safety," McClure added.

Source: Hackers could make your car unsafe and expose to dangers: McAfee - The Economic Times

Last edited by Racer_X : 9th September 2011 at 17:54.
Old 9th September 2011, 20:25   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Hackers could make your car unsafe and expose to dangers

Oh this is news to me. Is the Bluetooth system capable of shutting down the car engine ? I was so facinated by the bluetooth handsfree in car. Now i am thinking twice. Maybe if we have a GPRS enabled Sim and the sim is a part of the security system, The chances are that the system is hacking prone.
Old 9th September 2011, 20:33   #3
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer_X View Post
Would you want to have Bluetooth in your cars??
Not really! Its not compulsary for me (USB + MP3 should do), but I havent really tried the new generation systems in cars like Punto, Figo and all.

Is bluetooth always 'on' and 'discoverable' in these cars?

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 9th September 2011 at 20:38.
Old 9th September 2011, 21:28   #4
BHPian

Guess its a lot easier when you have electronic circuits involved. Add to that a few processors that can control most of these devices. Add connectivity. I do have this feeling a few anti virus s/w companies with launch their anti bluhack and anti car theft as aftermarket products. I guess they had a light bulb moment and realized most of their customers have cars by now! .
Old 9th September 2011, 23:16   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Relax!!.. I don't think a hacker can access the ECU, via bluetooth in the ICE.

Shutting, the engine off?. Cmon guys.. Aint that a bit too much. I would take this news with a pinch(?) of marketing salt.
Quote:
Researchers have already shown how opening doors and turning on the ignition just using text messages is now possible
Umm... How exactly is that done?.

P.S - Experts with knowledge on how this can be done, or any experience, please enlighten!
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2011, 05:56   #6
Senior - BHPian

I agree with @dhanushs, i don't think there is any capability to pass any malicious code into the ECU through the Bluetooth. I am sure they have made it reasonably full proof from that aspect. Yes if someone can hook up a wire through some other interface and interfere with ECU settings then there is a case but to do that you need to open the car first. So i would rather relax and enjoy the Bluetooth.
Old 10th September 2011, 07:57   #7
BHPian

This is the reason why i stick to non-blutooth, non-too techy car my faithfull Black Dog A.K.A Alto

Technology at its best working for the good and bad

how do we protect our car? Firewall, Antivirus, Passwords, etc.
Old 10th September 2011, 08:38   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Relax!!.. I don't think a hacker can access the ECU, via bluetooth in the ICE.

Shutting, the engine off?. Cmon guys.. Aint that a bit too much. I would take this news with a pinch(?) of marketing salt.
Umm... How exactly is that done?.

P.S - Experts with knowledge on how this can be done, or any experience, please enlighten!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
I agree with @dhanushs, i don't think there is any capability to pass any malicious code into the ECU through the Bluetooth. I am sure they have made it reasonably full proof from that aspect. Yes if someone can hook up a wire through some other interface and interfere with ECU settings then there is a case but to do that you need to open the car first. So i would rather relax and enjoy the Bluetooth.
It is possible.

In modern hi-tech (read high end) cars, the ICE(with Bluetooth), navigation system,etc are all connected to on board computer(s) which controls the whole car. So one can enter the bluetooth system (it should also be possible by hacking into the navigation system) then he would play Jigsaw puzzle with your car. He can manipulate the engine management system(so he can stop your car),airbags,et all.

AFAIK, in lower end cars like Punto, Figo and all, the ICE and navigation system are stand alone units,not connected to the ECU and hence wouldn't pose a danger to your car.
Correct me if i am wrong anywhere.
Old 10th September 2011, 08:54   #9
Senior - BHPian

In many modern cars now ECUs are connected to the entire car's computers and in many they are even connected to the internet or GPS permanently, let alone bluetooth.

Modern car security systems allow for the ECU to be disabled remotely by the manufacturer in case the car is stolen. They track car's location continously via GPS.

Though we in India do really face this danger at large, but yes this is definitely possible.

But it is very very tough without anybody on the inside at the manufacturer's.
Old 10th September 2011, 09:24   #10
Senior - BHPian

boss, most modern cars [ecu] use CAN protocols and have proprietary handshakes..hence it is near impossible to crack into them.

What the internet says may be a stray case !!
Old 10th September 2011, 09:39   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
boss, most modern cars [ecu] use CAN protocols and have proprietary handshakes..hence it is near impossible to crack into them.

I hope you are correct dude. I recently got my ANHC ICEd and today I was shocked to read this article in newspapers.
Old 10th September 2011, 09:42   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Impossible it is not. It is very very difficult though, not something that is at all easy to do.
Old 10th September 2011, 12:18   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by julupani View Post
Impossible it is not. It is very very difficult though, not something that is at all easy to do.
@Julu..: Please provide data [in ppm if required] to support your ^^

How to break into a car with / without bluetooth / with / without ECU is a different concept altogether..

Another point is even with cars equipped with BT, if it is connected to a device [read mobile phone] it will not permit another device to connect to it unless user intervenes and goes through the process again IMO

And you cant pair while car is in motion etc etc.

I believe it is impossible to break into a ECU from outside via BT
Old 10th September 2011, 12:25   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@Julu..: Please provide data [in ppm if required] to support your ^^

How to break into a car with / without bluetooth / with / without ECU is a different concept altogether..

Another point is even with cars equipped with BT, if it is connected to a device [read mobile phone] it will not permit another device to connect to it unless user intervenes and goes through the process again IMO

And you cant pair while car is in motion etc etc.

I believe it is impossible to break into a ECU from outside via BT
I never said it's possible via bluetooth. But if you read my previous post in detail. I mentioned that some manufacturer retain the ability to disable the ECU remotely especially in case of theft.

I imagine that can be misused, or the communication can be hacked to do something of the sort.

Do you think just because the protocols are proprietary its "impossible" to hack?? Especially if you are able to have a person on the inside??

Remember I am not saying this is likely or even remotely probable. I am just saying not "impossible". If you call a 1 in a billion chance "impossible", then I agree it is "impossible".
Old 10th September 2011, 13:16   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by julupani View Post
Do you think just because the protocols are proprietary its "impossible" to hack?? Especially if you are able to have a person on the inside??
Can you elaborate this point? Especially if you are able to have a person on the inside means ... ??

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks