Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th September 2011, 17:52   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Rear windshield broken on brand new DZire ZDi

As Tanveer mentioned, the way the glass is shattered makes me suspect the rear defogger. May be a wiring issue.

Before taking the delivery, please make sure that the defogger is working fine. I mean, it switches OFF and ON, when the switch is toggled, and not otherwise.
Old 14th September 2011, 18:31   #17
Senior - BHPian

Can be possible that its a defect. My innova's front windshield had cracked once, unexpectedly. Toyota admitted its a manufacturing defect & replaced it, under warranty.
Old 14th September 2011, 18:53   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajanprash View Post
Even if the glass breaks it is not supposed to shatter this way.
The rear glass is not reinforced safety glass (as in the front windshield). It is just a toughened glass & will shatter like this if a sunfilm is absent.
Old 14th September 2011, 19:04   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCause View Post
The rear glass is not reinforced safety glass (as in the front windshield). It is just a toughened glass & will shatter like this if a sunfilm is absent.
Are you sure of that? IMO the rear windshiled should also be laminated glass. Only tempered glass should shatter the way it is shown in the photograph. Having a rear defogger on just toughened/tempered glass doesn't make much sense.
Old 14th September 2011, 19:24   #20
Senior - BHPian

Usually rear windshield is toughened (tampered) but not laminated. It is not a requirement from homologation POV.
Old 14th September 2011, 21:14   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCause
My bad. Thanks for the correction. As Netfreakbombay said, i assume the rear glass ahould be breakable so that people may escape in an emergency using that safety hammer kinda thing. I may be wrong here as well because most of those seat belt cum hammer devices state that it can break windows. Not sure about the rear glass though.
Old 14th September 2011, 21:53   #22
BHPian

Did you fix any sunfilm on the rear windshield?
If so how was it fixed? Usually some heating is done before fixing the film.
In case there was excessive heat this might have stressed out the glass and the film might have been holding the stress until it reached the threshold and finally burst the glass.
Looking at the shattered glass it does not seem like an impact failure, more like caused by internal stress.
Like someone pointed out, did you use the defogger or someone switched it on and was operated without any control causing excessive heat build up and the consequent internal stress.
Surely Maruti dealer knows the answer which is why the glass is being replaced without much problems.
Anyway make sure that the mistake is not repeated by the dealer and ensure that the glass is made this year, which would be very important for the vehicle history and while selling later.

HC
Old 14th September 2011, 23:01   #23
Senior - BHPian

Is this something to do with MSIL employees accused of sabotaging vehicles at the plant? Beats me since MUL wants to get this episode done away with ASAP! Sorry to hear that mate!
Old 15th September 2011, 00:19   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

I have seen this happening in cars during daytime - the ac is switched on in early morning,and a lot of cold(and dense) air is inside the cabin when the car is parked.

All windows are up , the sun comes out,the air expands,and boom !!!

I have seen this phenomenon on an Indigo and an Optra , and when I asked the owners if they did what I have mentioned above,both said yes.
Old 15th September 2011, 11:31   #25
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
I have seen this happening in cars during daytime - the ac is switched on in early morning,and a lot of cold(and dense) air is inside the cabin when the car is parked.

All windows are up , the sun comes out,the air expands,and boom !!!

I have seen this phenomenon on an Indigo and an Optra , and when I asked the owners if they did what I have mentioned above,both said yes.
No car is airtight. There are always holes here and there. It usually happens due to rear defogger malfunction. I know a certain batch of indigos had this issue, and Tata made some part changes to fix this.
Old 15th September 2011, 12:19   #26
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
does this car have rear defogger. I recall reports of this happening with an indigo as the rear defogger malfunctioned and overheated the rear glass.
+1

This could be the reason. The glass has shattered completely. If there were stress cracks, it would have cracked and stayed like a cobweb. Possibly the defogger switch malfunctioned and the glass overheated. I appreciate MSIL replacing the glass FOC.
Old 15th September 2011, 12:20   #27
BHPian

The car did not had any sunfilm. I just checked with my friend. He had indeed used the defogger for 1-2 mins but switched it off. Also, would the defogger not switch off when the car is switched off.
Could this be the reason?
Old 15th September 2011, 14:08   #28
Senior - BHPian

Are all the glass shards on the rear parcel shelf? Are there any good amounts inside the passenger compartment?

If most of the shards are on the rear parcel shelf, it would indicate a defogger malfunction or similar defect. Anyone trying a forced entry wouldn't try the rear windshield, specially in a car with a boot. And a forceful impact would scatter the glass shards all over the rear passenger seat and compartment.
Old 15th September 2011, 14:56   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
Are all the glass shards on the rear parcel shelf? Are there any good amounts inside the passenger compartment?

If most of the shards are on the rear parcel shelf, it would indicate a defogger malfunction or similar defect. Anyone trying a forced entry wouldn't try the rear windshield, specially in a car with a boot. And a forceful impact would scatter the glass shards all over the rear passenger seat and compartment.
Most of glass pieces were over the parcel tray.
Old 15th September 2011, 15:38   #30
BHPian

Such cases happen when the car is parked for a long time exposed to direct sun light.
I also checked with one of the Saint Gobain employee who supplies to OEM's. He too confirmed such happenings due to manufacturing defects of these glasses. Hence the company it self replaces the same. However, the % is in fractions.
We can find few such 'cars to be repaired' in the sales yards of all the OEMs. Its a very common issue and the OEM guys place their personnel for changing the door glasses . (and also the dead batteries and punctured tires, when needed.)
But for a windshield, the repair has to be done only in a shop as the lamination has to be done after removing the left over adhesive throughly.
This particular one may be one of such case.
Also, as mentioned, the Rear De fogger was switched on for a few moments. May be this further added to the stress in the glass and it broke.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks