Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd September 2011, 20:31   #16
SAS
BHPian

re: Spark Plug Gap for New K10 Wagon R CNG: 0.9-1.0 mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Set it at manufacturer recommended gap, .9mm would be okay. Don't increase it beyond 1.0mm as it could stress out the ignition coils in the long run.
Thanks. I intended to set it at the manufacturer recommended gap which was 0.9mm to 1mm for the Alto.
Old 23rd September 2011, 20:47   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhipuru16 View Post
I need some help. I just checked my 2000 Zen's manual for the Spark Plug Gap. Surprisingly there is no mention of it.
The engine is 1L MPFi, G10BB, 9.4:1 compression ratio.
Help me please.
Manual doesn't specify it? Starnge! Anyway the manual will have the specification of the Sparkplug, use it as you bought it without modifying the gap. Do measure the gap when its new so that you have a reference point if adjustments are required.
Sankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2011, 19:52   #18
BHPian

I must thank the thread starter for coming up with this thread.
My Pulsar 200's spark plugs were changed just a while back and immediately the engine felt strained at higher RPMs and refused to hit the redline. Plus, the engine would backfire whilst engaging in Engine Braking. After 7500rpm, the bike would feel strained to hit the redline at 9000rpm.
This was pretty surprising as it never ever happened before, after getting everything done from changing the air filter, cleaning the carbs, tuning the carb, I gave up and used it just like that until I chanced upon this thread which prompted me to check the Spark Plug gap.
Today, in the morning, I went to the nearest Probiking dealer and asked him if he had a feeler gauge. And yes, they did. All mechanics there set the gap through their eye. They don't realise that a small variation could result in such a big change in performance.
He brought a gauge and I asked him to set it to 0.7mm. The even more surprising bit is that the mechanic thought 0.10mm is "zero point ten mm". I took the gauge from him and found 0.7mm. Understandable, the spark plug gap was way too large than this.
After adjusting, the bike started to feel livelier and the Engine Backfiring is completely GONE!
The bike is back to its original performance and screams like a banshee when revved.
Once again, thanks for this thread brother.

I am now going to try and space the gaps in my Zen's new spark plugs like this as well. They were changed recently and we even added Xado to the cylinders. There is definitely an increase in performance but, I will still try this out and try to make out a difference and post here.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks