Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd September 2011, 22:14   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Engine Knocking (Tata Safari 3.0 DICOR)

Quote:
Originally Posted by v&v View Post
How come there was no check engine light?

P1608 obd error stands for ECM malfunction or communication error.
Yes, there was check engine light this time when the car was started and thus we found out those errors. So, does p1608 mean that the ECM has some fault inside it? if yes will I have to replace that too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
@Mercedised, keep us posted please.

Regards
Sutripta
Yes will keep you guys posted, as of now I have updated every bit of information I had about the issue, detailed thread will follow sooner.
Old 22nd September 2011, 22:20   #17
Senior - BHPian

What did you do in the restoration.? Please post in detail.

Did you overhaul the complete engine?
Old 22nd September 2011, 22:36   #18
Senior - BHPian

@siralec:

The twist of the story is the engine was not overhauled even when everything (plastic, wires,....) in the engine bay has melted down and the coolant and other bottles, pipes were non-existent after the accident such was the incident.

The restoration is still in process so I could'nt really comment on the total cost involved at the end of this restoration, but by the end of saturday evening I will most probably if lucky drive the car to my home or atleast get the things in the right places.

A rough estimate of close to 35,000 INR for the restoration is all I have till now. I will post pictures of restoration and the whole story later.
Old 23rd September 2011, 09:37   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
... So does that means that the particular injector will need tobe replaced? If yes should I go for a repaired one or a new one?

Also would like to ask what is a watchdog error, the error code was P1608? ...
NOTE: When today we started the vehicle it knocked from the very first second.
Don't use a reconditioned injector - get a new one. The ECU will automatically accommodate this (Cylinder Balancing).

There is nothing wrong with the ECU. 1608 is a 'lumped' error signifying failure of communications with monitored external components (in this case the faulty injector).

This time around, the injector was already marked faulty internally, so the whole injection sequence/timing/injected quantity was off-kilter. Hopefully black smoke was less. Let's pray all your troubles go away by replacing the injector!

BTW, would your mechanic be able to share with us what he used to connect to the ECU? Make/model of the (OBD/K-line) interface that he used to connect the diag port below the glove box to the laptop, software etc.? TIA!!! Compliments to him - he seems an intelligent and experienced chap with systematic problem solving instead of the usual speculative methods.
DerAlte is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2011, 10:05   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Don't use a reconditioned injector - get a new one. The ECU will automatically accommodate this (Cylinder Balancing).

Yes, I am going to get the new one. But, for that I have to wait for the report from the Injector guy. If it is repairable we will try and repair it. But, If anyhow I have to go for a new one do you think that I can take it directly from DELPHI instead of any Tata dealer or distributor?

There is nothing wrong with the ECU. 1608 is a 'lumped' error signifying failure of communications with monitored external components (in this case
the faulty injector).

Phew!! you relieved me, I was so tensed about the ECM, but the mechanic too told that it is fine when I talked to him just before replying to you.

BTW, would your mechanic be able to share with us what he used to connect to the ECU? Make/model of the (OBD/K-line) interface that he used to connect the diag port below the glove box to the laptop, software etc.? TIA!!! Compliments to him - he seems an intelligent and experienced chap with systematic problem solving instead of the usual speculative methods.

I would ask him, it was not laptop but something like a big tablet kinda device with a small touchscreen right at the middle of it. I would ask him and then tell you what did he used.

Whatever it was he said he could scan all the cars including Hyundai, Maruti, Ford.... with it.
He only works on Safari Dicor since 2006. That might be the case of systematic solutions.

BTW, why so many people want to know about these OBD systems? I have heard a few more persons who were very keen on knowing the OBD model? Is it something special?

Answers in BOLD! I hope I am not breaking any rules here.

Last edited by mercedised : 23rd September 2011 at 10:07.
Old 23rd September 2011, 10:27   #21
Senior - BHPian

I doubt if Delphi has direct spares sales in India - they sell only to OEs. Going through T.A.S.S. stores is the only recourse.

Quote:
BTW, why so many people want to know about these OBD systems? I have heard a few more persons who were very keen on knowing the OBD model? Is it something special?
Should be fairly obvious, no? We are not satisfied without fiddling with the insides, kind of a child-like role play pretending to be Gods!

Nah, many of us who indulge in looking at the engine data displayed on our Car PCs have been stumped by the regular OBD systems not working with the Delphi ECU in the Safari Dicor. It is an older version using K-line (KWP). Theoretically, ELM327 etc. should work (supports K-Line), but it is always better to know which one works without speculatively buying something and failing.
DerAlte is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2011, 10:33   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
I doubt if Delphi has direct spares sales in India - they sell only to OEs. Going through T.A.S.S. stores is the only recourse.

Should be fairly obvious, no? We are not satisfied without fiddling with the insides, kind of a child-like role play pretending to be Gods!

Nah, many of us who indulge in looking at the engine data displayed on our Car PCs have been stumped by the regular OBD systems not working with the Delphi ECU in the Safari Dicor. It is an older version using K-line (KWP). Theoretically, ELM327 etc. should work (supports K-Line), but it is always better to know which one works without speculatively buying something and failing.
X431 Master was the one he used, He said it supports almost any car. But, damn Costly! Here is the pdf for the same.

http://www.x431.com/upload/DifferencesGX3.pdf

But, I don't think this is useful for regular guys like us. Could be used by mechanics though.
Old 23rd September 2011, 22:59   #23
Senior - BHPian

UPDATE:

We got the injectors serviced today, all four of them had problems. Fitted them on the vehicle and the vehicle came to life in the very first crank. Idle was smooth and there was no engine knocking this time. But, the car was emitting black smoke (not heavily) but it was visible that the smoke is more than normal. The mechanic confirmed the same too.

Yesterday, we opened the air filter and it was in very bad condition, I mean full of dust. Can this be the reason for considerable smoke? We also drove the vehicle everything was perfect, the pick-up, ride was smooth so was the engine.

Also should I bleed the brake lines twice by filling new oil? and same with clutch oil? Please help!
mercedised is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2011, 10:30   #24
Senior - BHPian

Unless the air path is substantially blocked (>50%), the air filter will not cause black smoke. First, go for a longish drive where you can drive >70kmph for some time, or gun the engine at >3000 RPM for a few minutes, to drive out the accumulated soot. Then check the smoke quantity and use this as a reference. Ask your mechanic to clean the catcon & muffler - they usually wash it with water and the problem goes away for some time.

Refreshing the brake and clutch hydraulic circuits is a good idea, since the some of the piping is in the engine bay, and the fire might have affected them.
DerAlte is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2012, 23:10   #25

Quote:
UPDATE:

We got the injectors serviced today, all four of them had problems. Fitted them on the vehicle and the vehicle came to life in the very first crank.
=====
Also should I bleed the brake lines twice by filling new oil? and same with clutch oil? Please help!

Can you share the cost involved for injector servicing as my Dicor too is having the same problem. One mechanic said that one of my injector is bad and i am going to get it inspected through scanner (that laptop thing to check)
Old 18th July 2012, 21:37   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyPaaji View Post
Can you share the cost involved for injector servicing as my Dicor too is having the same problem. One mechanic said that one of my injector is bad and i am going to get it inspected through scanner (that laptop thing to check)
It costed me somewhere around 3,000 per injector, the costs have come down considerably now. You could get them serviced between 1500-2500 INR depending upon the mechanic\pump overhaul shop you get them serviced.

Last edited by mercedised : 18th July 2012 at 21:39.
Old 18th July 2012, 22:27   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyPaaji View Post
Quote:
It costed me somewhere around 3,000 per injector, the costs have come down considerably now. You could get them serviced between 1500-2500 INR depending upon the mechanic\pump overhaul shop you get them serviced.
Hey !! Why dont you try this before replacing your injector. Try the 3M diesel fuel additive. Its good. I tried it on my Santro at 35K kms and the effects were amazing. If it fails, go ahead with a new injector. In the bargain, your petrol tank will be cleaner and mileage would improve.

Diesel Fuel Additive

Indirectly Related:
Engine Performance Rejuvenation

Last edited by scopriobharath : 18th July 2012 at 22:30.
Old 19th July 2012, 15:24   #28
BHPian

Diesel additive in petrol car?

Am i missing something or can diesel specific additives be used in petrol cars also?

Am currently suffering from jerk issues so i may choose to go additive path.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks