Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 29th September 2011, 15:54   #46
BHPian

Re: Merc S-Class slips from jack.

The damage is close to the cost of 2 new tires! Hats off to the Germans ( or is it a french brain) for designing such a pathetic jack. Like everyone else has pointed out, it is bound to slip in most of the conditions..
Old 29th September 2011, 16:14   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxpaul View Post
Ambivalent,
Does the Vento have a jack similar to the Merc ?? My Octavia has a normal scissor type jack. The Merc jack (as shown by Shankar) looks as though you need to dig in and place the foot in a hole ! That foot is bound to slip if placed on asphalt or concrete. Wonder why Mercedes makes it this way...
It is similar to the Merc. Except that the base is broader and not like the one shown in the earlier picture. To crank it is simpler. The jack also show the "Seat" logo means it is compatible for Seat and VW vehicles. No surprise on that front since Seat is a VW subsidiary. Though it is surprising Skoda does not have these jacks. Probably Skoda Octavia is more "Indian" than the VW Vento which is a recent introduction.(w.r.t. Octi)
Its not the usual Jap style scissor jack we are normally so used to seeing. Its easy to work with though or so said a friend who used it correctly for the first time unlike me who used it "ulta".

Last edited by ambivalent_98 : 29th September 2011 at 16:17.
Old 29th September 2011, 18:51   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambivalent_98 View Post
@Tejas....thats on the Petrol Pump opposite to Agriculture college correct. The puncture remover person is quite responsible and this is surprising that he used the car jack to jack up the car. Usually they have a pneumatic jack to hoist up the car. Thats a very unfortunate occurence. How much expense would that be ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
Tejas, are you sure the jack was used by the puncture shop person on the car? From my experience, these guys prefer to use their own equipment (as would any professional do).
After going through such experiences, I believe it's better that along with all the other accessories such as tyres and headlights, the first thing a car buyer should do is buy a good scissor-fashioned jack with a good and long tommy, or if you have the space, go for a hydraulic jack that the garage mechanics use.
Yes, thats the same petrol pump. And that is the first time I have seen the puncture guy NOT using his hydraulic jack. Probably it was busy under some other vehicle. That proved to be a costly mistake. I guess the side skirt alone would cost about 25,000. In addition there are minor scratches on bumper and a possibility of missalignment.
A hydraulic jack that mechanics use would cost 3000 or more. It is very bulky and heavy for a common man to use that jack. Using it requires lot of practice. Smaller hydraulic jacks are available in the market. Their design is different. I have no idea about their cost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dip27in View Post
The damage is close to the cost of 2 new tires! Hats off to the Germans ( or is it a french brain) for designing such a pathetic jack. Like everyone else has pointed out, it is bound to slip in most of the conditions..
That jack is made to suit the German conditions. Also the difference in the design and technology from our conventional cars causes such mishaps. People are least aware of pros and cons of these things when they are using them.
Old 29th September 2011, 18:58   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas Ingle View Post
A hydraulic jack that mechanics use would cost 3000 or more. It is very bulky and heavy for a common man to use that jack. Using it requires lot of practice. Smaller hydraulic jacks are available in the market. Their design is different. I have no idea about their cost.
I am referring to the jack they use for cars, the same one as used to lift the sagging Merc up again. It is heavy, but it can be easily lifted and carried by an ordinary person. To lift the car you have to attach the handle (a pipe with a nick at one end) and use a pumping action to lift it up. To release it you turn a wheel at the jack. The process can be easily carried out by an ordinary person.

The only issue is it cannot be easily stowed away in a hatch-like car. Shouldn't be a problem in a sedan. Works much much better than the jack that comes with the car.

Also when you say the jack was made to suit the German conditions, and still it's being sold in India, doesn't it show the carelessness of Mercedes Benz India?

Last edited by honeybee : 29th September 2011 at 18:59.
Old 29th September 2011, 19:15   #50
BHPian

Quote:
I am referring to the jack they use for cars, the same one as used to lift the sagging Merc up again.
Also when you say the jack was made to suit the German conditions, and still it's being sold in India, doesn't it show the carelessness of Mercedes Benz India?
Yup, would have to say that you are right.
Old 30th September 2011, 11:05   #51
BHPian

Sorry Tejas, but i don't agree that the German conditions for a puncture are going to be any different from Indian conditions. On the contrary repairing a puncture on a high speed Autobahn will be more dangerous, with cars at high speed buffeting you with wind. I wonder if the Audis and BMWs also have this type of jack !
Old 30th September 2011, 11:41   #52
BHPian

hi ,

it seems that they forgot the basic care to be taken while changing the wheel , they should have just put spare wheeel under the car neear the jack which can generally save it from such mishaps :-(
Old 30th September 2011, 11:50   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Sorry Tejas, but i don't agree that the German conditions for a puncture are going to be any different from Indian conditions. On the contrary repairing a puncture on a high speed Autobahn will be more dangerous, with cars at high speed buffeting you with wind. I wonder if the Audis and BMWs also have this type of jack !
Punctured or broken down cars are not allowed on the Autobahn. They are pulled off before being repaired. Anyways, here we are talking about the stability of the jack. I would again stress over the point that correct usage of the jack is very important. In this type of jack, the base is supposed to be exactly below the jacking point on the car. In the pics posted by Sankar too it is not below the jacking point. In this case, it is bound to slip. Even if it is mounted correctly,it will work only in favourable conditions. But using any type of jack in unfavourable conditions is not recommended, right?
Old 30th September 2011, 12:06   #54
BHPian

the s class jack was a problem since the early 90's,its a 2 ton car & the jack feels fragile for the same,
everytime i got an allignment or a balancing i used the heavy jacks @ the the dealerships to lift my w140,jack is a jack,its not rocket science to teach Merc owners where & how & only way to lift the car,
i think its a flaw from the makers
Old 30th September 2011, 12:09   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambivalent_98 View Post
It is similar to the Merc. Except that the base is broader and not like the one shown in the earlier picture. To crank it is simpler. The jack also show the "Seat" logo means it is compatible for Seat and VW vehicles. No surprise on that front since Seat is a VW subsidiary. Though it is surprising Skoda does not have these jacks. Probably Skoda Octavia is more "Indian" than the VW Vento which is a recent introduction.(w.r.t. Octi)
Its not the usual Jap style scissor jack we are normally so used to seeing. Its easy to work with though or so said a friend who used it correctly for the first time unlike me who used it "ulta".
My 2008 Fabia has a similar jack, so doubt if Octi used to come with a different one
Old 30th September 2011, 12:53   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhipuru16 View Post
No, after a long argument spanning to 2 months, all they agreed to do was repair. What intrigued me is how they could repair fiber skirtings that were cut!
I decided to leave the matter and get it sorted out through Pandit & Co. here in Delhi, they would do a better job any given day.
I am still to find time to get it done.
When they said they would "repair" it, I think they meant they would simply put some Araldite or similar epoxy and put some cheap white paint over it. Although you can do that on a cheaper car, on a Merc that would look tacky.

Quote:
Also, loosen and tighten the bolts when the car is unjacked. Keep yourself clear from the spaces under the car to avoid injury. Keep the reflective triangle provided at some distance behind the car if you are changing tyre by the roadside. Make everyone in the car get down. I have seen children inside the car when the tyre is being changed.
Children might move within the car causing the jack to slip. The use of jack stands is typically recommended but in India the automobile manufacturers only provide a regular jack and due to lack of easy availability of jack stands, a welder can make something that just about works.

Quote:
Tejas, are you sure the jack was used by the puncture shop person on the car? From my experience, these guys prefer to use their own equipment (as would any professional do).
Perhaps the mechanic wanted to try the jack because he had never seen one like it before. The curiosity must have gotten the better of him.
Old 1st October 2011, 10:16   #57
BHPian

Just rechecked the jack in my Octavia......it IS the VW jack.
Thanks Tejas !
Old 1st October 2011, 13:40   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Just rechecked the jack in my Octavia......it IS the VW jack. Thanks Tejas !
I've had to use the jack in my Esteem twice; both times I suspect foul play - it was the "flatten the tyres and charge the owner for replacing with spare" gig (confirmed it when the puncture-wala said there's no leak in the tyre). It is the traditional standard plain-old reliable Maruti scissor-type jack.

PS: My 100th post!!
Old 1st October 2011, 18:27   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Punctured or broken down cars are not allowed on the Autobahn. They are pulled off before being repaired.
Just to add, remember a post by Sam where he asked Jenny if she had ever encountered a punctured car in her entire life in Germany, and the answer was, No

So there you have it, a tool created for usage in a country where it is seldom, if ever used. Existing Merc owners should be proactive in getting some 'normal' jacks for their vehicles before they meet a similar fate at inexperienced hands, IMO.

Ohh and that tip to keep the spare wheel under the car is a really good one, thanks for sharing
Old 1st October 2011, 19:54   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avisidhu View Post
Just to add, remember a post by Sam where he asked Jenny if she had ever encountered a punctured car in her entire life in Germany, and the answer was, No
In my decade-long automotive experience in the UAE, I've never had a flat tyre. I've never even had to look at the spare tyre or toolkit either, which remains hidden below the trunk carpet (or at least I think it's in there).

A flat tyre isn't very common and both times I've had a flat tyre on my Esteem, I've suspected sabotage.

Most Viewed