Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd October 2011, 23:09   #1
BHPian

Engine "drags" intermittently

Post edited by the Team-BHP Support : As per the recent Mass PM, Team-BHP no longer permits the use of (hard to understand) acronyms for newly launched cars. Please refer to each car by its full name only. This will make our content useful to experts & newbies alike.

Really hectic days passed by and now i would like to announce the arrival of my new machine - the Honda City.

Sorry all .... and yes it was a good deal which enticed me in buying it as i had no intention to buy a car at this juncture, otherwise.

Also before narrating the issue, i would like to clarify that i followed all instructions for PDI and my car was delivered to me just 20 days after the dealer received it from HONDA(as i checked the form 22).

Superbly refined motor but from the very beginning i have been observing an issue of intermittent resistance while driving.
Service guys dont find anything wrong as usual.
At any constant speed / be it in any gear, the car looses steam intermittently and then regains the actual speed (the car does not die down but there is some force felt in the opposite direction restricting the speed of the car for some few secs and then car is back to normalcy).

I have got the car scanned which clears off any electrical / electronic issue.

If Fuel pump in my brand new car is a suspect, then i would like to inform that there is no other symptom observed which may indicate fuel pump as bad.

Please suggest / rather help and if someone has escalation points in HONDA, please share.

Cheers.

Last edited by GTO : 3rd October 2011 at 18:16. Reason: STRICTLY no usage of acronyms for cars please
Old 2nd October 2011, 23:21   #2
BHPian

Re: issue with my New ANHC

If this happens when the A/C is on..ask them to check the clutch assembly of the airconditioner and the bearing of the A/C.

If these're faulty..they will cause drag on the engine when the compressor comes on and will cause these precise symptoms.
penlax is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2011, 23:41   #3
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Sorry to hear that you are facing issues with a new car.

I would suspect the quality of fuel. Please try a different bunk and see if there is a difference.
Old 3rd October 2011, 09:02   #4
Senior - BHPian

Hey Namit, first off, Hearty Congrats on your latest pic. Happy Motoring

Coming back to your issue, I think I might just have the solution for that. The moment I read your post, I could only recollect my own issue with my old car, Santro Xing, that I had from almost the very beggining.

I think I know how exactly it feels where the car seems to drop power and then surge ahead with/without AC. Namit, if its really what I think it is, the culprit is the IGNITION COIL. I may be wrong, a scanner, a service, an observation never really turned up anything until one savy Mechanic suggested this which fixed the issue instantly.

Hope This Helps. All the best.
Old 3rd October 2011, 10:36   #5
BHPian

i shall check whether its only with A/C ON ..........

moreover, i dont think it could be the ignition coil issue ........

Any HONDA escalation contacts please ?

Cheers.
Old 3rd October 2011, 10:44   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
I think I know how exactly it feels where the car seems to drop power and then surge ahead with/without AC. Namit, if its really what I think it is, the culprit is the IGNITION COIL. I may be wrong, a scanner, a service, an observation never really turned up anything until one savy Mechanic suggested this which fixed the issue instantly.

I had the same issue in my Swift after 4 years which was diagnosed to be an issue with the ignition coil. The spark plugs were also replaced. The problem was more prominent in the 3rd and 4th gears.

Quote:
Originally Posted by namit View Post
i shall check whether its only with A/C ON ..........

moreover, i dont think it could be the ignition coil issue ........

Any HONDA escalation contacts please ?

Cheers.
No harm in getting the ignition coil and spark plugs checked. It would be surprising though if they are faulty in a new car.
Old 3rd October 2011, 12:20   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Really hectic days passed by and now i would like to announce the arrival of my new machine - the ANHC.
Congrats Namit on the new buy. Wishing you Many happy miles ahead.

Regarding the issue. I had faced similar issue in my Vista and during the service they did not set ups in the ECU. I am sorry i don't know the details. But post that everything has been fine.
Old 3rd October 2011, 16:59   #8
BHPian

Was this issue there in your brand new Vista and i didnt get what was not done in the ECU and had to be done ?
Old 3rd October 2011, 17:15   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Was this issue there in your brand new Vista and i didnt get what was not done in the ECU and had to be done ?
In my new Vista. But did not face the issue immediately. Only after about 5K Kms. They did some set up in the ECU. But as i was a noob did not quite find out the details at that time and was happy that the issue got resolved.

Also want to add that this was what TA$$ told me was the issue. As i was a newbie with cars believed them and since they did not charge me anything additional i was ok with it.

Last edited by amitwlele : 3rd October 2011 at 17:16.
Old 3rd October 2011, 18:13   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
At any constant speed / be it in any gear, the car looses steam intermittently and then regains the actual speed (the car does not die down but there is some force felt in the opposite direction restricting the speed of the car for some few secs and then car is back to normalcy).
Do you notice a drop in rpm when you observe the issue? Or does the car not accelerate?

If there is a drop in rpm, there could some issue with the fuel pump.
Old 3rd October 2011, 20:17   #11
BHPian

re: Engine "drags" intermittently

I have this exact issue of the car suddenly hitting resistance when the ac compressor turns on. Seems I will have to go for Ignition coil replacement. BTW, this is the "famed" Ikon ignition coil. So the cause, in my case, seems almost identified.

Will pay a visit to carnation this week and check out their prices.
Old 6th October 2011, 13:37   #12
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by penlax View Post
If this happens when the A/C is on..ask them to check the clutch assembly of the airconditioner and the bearing of the A/C.

If these're faulty..they will cause drag on the engine when the compressor comes on and will cause these precise symptoms.
Superb diagnosis! I had faced the same problem in my car (IIRC, it was the Esteem, but not sure), and it boiled down to a packed air-con compressor. Apparently, it disrupted free movement and was creating a heck of a lot of resistance.
Old 11th October 2011, 13:24   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Superb diagnosis! I had faced the same problem in my car (IIRC, it was the Esteem, but not sure), and it boiled down to a packed air-con compressor. Apparently, it disrupted free movement and was creating a heck of a lot of resistance.
But is this conked off a/c compressor a possibility in a brand new car and that too a Honda ?
Old 11th October 2011, 22:07   #14
BHPian

Quote:
But is this conked off a/c compressor a possibility in a brand new car and that too a Honda ?
Not necessarily the entire compressor but a bearing or a minor part which can give way under stress anytime.
Old 14th June 2012, 09:51   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Post edited by the Team-BHP Support : As per the recent Mass PM, Team-BHP no longer permits the use of (hard to understand) acronyms for newly launched cars. Please refer to each car by its full name only. This will make our content useful to experts & newbies alike.

Really hectic days passed by and now i would like to announce the arrival of my new machine - the Honda City.

Sorry all .... and yes it was a good deal which enticed me in buying it as i had no intention to buy a car at this juncture, otherwise.

Also before narrating the issue, i would like to clarify that i followed all instructions for PDI and my car was delivered to me just 20 days after the dealer received it from HONDA(as i checked the form 22).

Superbly refined motor but from the very beginning i have been observing an issue of intermittent resistance while driving.
Service guys dont find anything wrong as usual.

I have got the car scanned which clears off any electrical / electronic issue.

If Fuel pump in my brand new car is a suspect, then i would like to inform that there is no other symptom observed which may indicate fuel pump as bad.

Please suggest / rather help and if someone has escalation points in HONDA, please share.

Cheers.
I have a Swift VXi 2006. I may be experiencing the same symptoms described by you. With or without the AC switched on, the engine has a jerk, before surging forward. Plus while accelerating at a constant speed there is a sudden power drop before regaining composure. The spark plugs have been changed(regular ones) 50kms back. Looking for Ideas as to what could be wrong!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks