Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 13th October 2011, 10:10   #61
BHPian

Re: Attention: New Maruti Suzuki Swift Brake Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Cant comment coz i have not driven either, but Zdi with ABS, EBD blah blah SHOULD have better characteristics than Vdi. Any idea how the new swift Vdi compare with old Vdi?
ABS/EBD act only in certain situations and in the rest of the situations, the actions/performance should be similar, isn't it? IMO I don't think having ABS + EBD gives any added advantage in normal braking situations.
Old 13th October 2011, 10:13   #62
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssh1979 View Post
ABS/EBD act only in certain situations and in the rest of the situations, the actions/performance should be similar, isn't it? IMO I don't think having ABS + EBD gives any added advantage in normal braking situations.
I think Jaggu was referring to Brake Assist and not EBD.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2011, 10:14   #63
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssh1979 View Post
It does, its far more superior system in totality. Just the brake distribution circuit, if different will make a huge difference. I am not talking about electronics taking over which will happen only at panic stops.
Old 13th October 2011, 10:19   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Just the brake distribution circuit, if different will make a huge difference.
Jaggu, by Brake distribution circuit, what are you actually referring to?

Spike
Old 13th October 2011, 10:37   #65
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Jaggu, by Brake distribution circuit, what are you actually referring to?

Spike
The whole circuit right from master cylinder to the splitter (F/R, L/R), valves etc etc. Aren't they different? atleast i have seen that in my Vdi the system is very simple and basic.
Old 13th October 2011, 11:31   #66
Senior - BHPian

I honestly agree. It is not only the ldi or vdi which is suffering.
As moral fibre had quoted me , the car which i was driing was the zdi.The brake boost / assist is all a crap. The braking was rubbery and non assuring in zdi too!!

On coming from 100-1 i normally downgrade and i have the habit of pressing the clutch and the brake simultaneously to make to come to complete halt, i has a rubbery and non assuring feel whether the car would stop at where i wanted to exactly. it did overshoot a bit in (cms) which could be dangerous.

how many times i would put a neutral to brake?. i hardly do that in city driving. unless i came to a complete halt at my garage. ...........

My point is that the brakes are as bad in zdi as in ldi/vdi despite all these boost brake assists or what ever. maruti must be fooling us. i would definitely like the brakes of the old trusted warrior ford fiesta / or the new i20 ( all discs all around)..........

Last edited by geeash : 13th October 2011 at 11:35.
geeash is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th October 2011, 11:37   #67
Senior - BHPian

The Vdi with ABS version has quite an impressive stopping power. so now i am kind of confused when you report the zdi version also has bad stopping capabilities.
Old 13th October 2011, 18:31   #68
Team-BHP Support

Only way to figure out is to do a back to back comparison of the old Vs new. But if there is a serious drop, then it is a concern coz brakes were never the strong point for the Vdi in the first model also.
Old 13th October 2011, 18:50   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu
Only way to figure out is to do a back to back comparison of the old Vs new. But if there is a serious drop, then it is a concern coz brakes were never the strong point for the Vdi in the first model also.
For a fair comparison, the previous generation Maruti Swift (used for comparison) should have brand new brake pads, right?

Just my two cents.

Last edited by Klub Class : 13th October 2011 at 18:52.
Old 13th October 2011, 21:15   #70
Senior - BHPian

Me thinks Moralfibre when you go to the service station, check the size out of the brake booster. The older unmodified brake booster was 10 inches and the new modified one ( which I have in my car ) is 11 inches. Check out the size and report back which one you have. If yours is the smaller one, you can upgrade to the bigger one at maruti's cost and under warranty. If its the smaller one then 'SHAME ON MARUTI' for bring this out inspite of people complaining.
Old 13th October 2011, 21:18   #71
BANNED

Quote:
For a fair comparison, the previous generation Maruti Swift (used for comparison) should have brand new brake pads, right?

Just my two cents.
I have been using SWIFT VDI and was facing same issues but with revised break booster and I have no complaints at all

I would suggest to check the break booster part number if it is *75J10 then there is an issue in this case you might want to replace the booster to *75J11

Trust me this helped me a lot
sameerpb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2011, 21:22   #72
Distinguished - BHPian

My concern is why has maruti reduced the braking efficiency in the lower models.? What is the rationale behind thinking that the lives of the people who drive Ldi and Vdi is less important than those who drive Zdi?!! This is such a cheap thinking on their part ! If the reason is indeed the booster size and if the difference is just one inch then I am sure it won't even cost them a penny extra to manufacture! Seriously maruti is acting like a illiterate here
Old 14th October 2011, 01:11   #73
Distinguished - BHPian

Sorry if this has been mentioned before in this thread, but.. how much would it cost to swap VDi-ZDi braking minus ABS?

I assume, you just need the brake booster and bigger dics/pads?

Thanks
Old 14th October 2011, 01:33   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Sorry if this has been mentioned before in this thread, but.. how much would it cost to swap VDi-ZDi braking minus ABS?

I assume, you just need the brake booster and bigger dics/pads?

Thanks
You can check out the size of the brake boosters in both cars. I reckon it is the 10inch one in the new Swift (V and L varients), just a guess. Hence the weak braking. This mystery can be easily solved if we get the size of the brake booster as the 11 inch retrofit has improved the braking to a vast extent. This I am talking after driving for 25 thousand odd kilometres on the new brake booster and around 25 thousand around's on the older one.

If it's the 10 inch one, I am sure the 11 inch one can be fixed and braking sorted as it has been proven times over to improve braking. I am sure everything is same in the old and new swift.
Old 14th October 2011, 08:00   #75
Senior - BHPian

One look at the new Swift brochure may get us to the problem.

I had mentioned this in the old thread. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post2470529

Name:  Feature.bmp
Views: 3654
Size:  959.6 KB

Look at Brake Assist. It is not present in the L & V.

I wonder why Maruti didn't see this coming, considering MSIL had recalled the 1st Gen. Swift DDiS for a bigger brake booster under warranty. Why would Maruti want to repeat history?

Last edited by deetjohn : 14th October 2011 at 08:06. Reason: Adding the picture

Most Viewed