Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 16th October 2011, 16:31   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Get clear about parking lights!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPS View Post
Please try the following. Turn off the lights. Switch off the ignition and take the key out. Turn ON the parking lights , Viola your parking lights are on

The battery saver ensures feature ensures that you consciously put on the parking lights.

Cheers
I stand corrected. Just went to my porch & checked.
All this time,I was thinking you can't leave the headlamps on in the minimum position in the i20 without the key in the ignition. A truly D'oh moment for me.

raj, apologies for my previous post. please ignore it.

Last edited by skanchan95 : 16th October 2011 at 16:33.
Old 16th October 2011, 19:24   #17
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
THIS is the confusion! What you are calling as parking indicators is infact hazard lights, as mentioned in my post.
Hazard lights-
Attachment 827777
Attachment 827778
Parking lights-
Attachment 827779
Attachment 827780
You seem to be confused with DAY TIME RUNNING LIGHTS a feature not available in India. Hazzard lights activate all the indicator lights only as a warning feature to other motorists. Parking lights are normally a small bulb within the headlight reflector. Hence it reflects the full headlight reflector but only in a low glow.

Cheers

KPS
Old 16th October 2011, 19:48   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPS

You seem to be confused with DAY TIME RUNNING LIGHTS a feature not available in India. Hazzard lights activate all the indicator lights only as a warning feature to other motorists. Parking lights are normally a small bulb within the headlight reflector. Hence it reflects the full headlight reflector but only in a low glow.

Cheers

KPS
raj_5004 is not confused. He as explaining that people tend to call the Hazard Warning signal (all six indicators blinking at the same time) the "Parking Lights", as done by the Bhpian quoted by him.
Old 16th October 2011, 20:15   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPS View Post

Cheers

KPS
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeluM View Post
raj_5004 is not confused. He as explaining that people tend to call the Hazard Warning signal (all six indicators blinking at the same time) the "Parking Lights", as done by the Bhpian quoted by him.
Thanks VeluM.

@ KPS:
I am not confusing it with DRLs. Infact, I had already mentioned in the XUV thread that it does not come with DRLs as every review is stating. they are just LED parking lights!

Last edited by raj_5004 : 16th October 2011 at 20:16.
Old 16th October 2011, 20:19   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

If I have to park my car on the side of the road, lets say to run a quick errand or something and want to leave a light open To ensure that someone else doesn't park parallel or something and block my exit. Lights on indicating that I am coming back in a second.
Which light should you switch on in this case? Hazard or Parking lights? I have seen people doing either and sometimes both together. The more the better logic !
Old 16th October 2011, 20:23   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
If I have to park my car on the side of the road, lets say to run a quick errand or something and want to leave a light open To ensure that someone else doesn't park parallel or something and block my exit. Lights on indicating that I am coming back in a second.
Which light should you switch on in this case? Hazard or Parking lights? I have seen people doing either and sometimes both together. The more the better logic !
In either cases, I dont think a person wont come & block your exit!

i guess headlights ON (low beam) would be a better idea!
Old 16th October 2011, 20:39   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Also what would be better in dense fog? To have the hazard light on? I am talking of the kind of Fog we have in Delhi during the winters. One thing to follow is do not use HIGH BEAMS. Always use Low beams. But most cars do not have fog lamps as these are considered a luxury by most car makers and many of us do not go for the top end models. So drive with hazards on?
Old 16th October 2011, 20:49   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Parking lights are the small bulbs within the headlights which we switch ON when its little dark (evening/early morning). It works in tandem with the rear tail lights. You switch it on by turning your headlight switch by one position!!!

Hazard lights are also known as 4 way flashers. All the six amber colored (side included) turn signals come on at the same time. They are used to indicate that the vehicle is parked on the road or broken down. they are activated with the red triangle button, most probably on the dashboard.
The use and specification of the different lamps are clear from the below article.
Automotive lighting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
In India, where you get a license even if you don't know how to drive, how can you expect people to know all these things? And even in an automotive community like TBhp, I wonder how many people know the proper use of these lights. In every other country that I know, you get a fine if you drive with only your parking lights ON. In India AFAIK, it is not allowed to drive with only your parking lights ON, because as the name suggests, it has to be used only while parking to mark the vehicle. I had posted a link to the Mumbai traffic police website where there is a mention of it (something like you should not drive with only your parking lights ON in situations like rain) in another thread where this topic was discussed.
Hazard lights are to be used only when you want to convey the hazard warning message to other road users.

And the other mis-conception is that DRL and parking lamps are the same. They can be the same physical light, but the specification for the light emitted are different and both functionality has to be there in the car. Whether it is implemented in the same physical enclosure or different is mostly a manufacturer's choice. This also holds good only for countries where there is proper rules and regulation.
Old 16th October 2011, 22:20   #24
Senior - BHPian

i remember in my school days i use to see a lot of german cars using only one side of the parking lights when they were being parked in tight lanes of Greater Kailash in new delhi.

i use to wonder at the option being provided in the cars.

eg: if the right side of the car is parallel to the road, i would see the right side of the parking lights on, similarly when the left side of the car would be parallel to the road, the left side parking lights would be switched on. its a good feature to switch on only the front and rear lights of the side parallel to the road, saves battery and a safety feature too!

i later learnt that one could use the indicator switch to use the whatever side parking lights you want to switch on. eg: turn the indicator switch towards right if you want the right side parking lights on when the car was being parked, same goes for the left side.
Old 16th October 2011, 22:50   #25
Senior - BHPian

[quote=skanchan95;2546974You have to switch on the "parking" indicators( all six turn indicators).[/quote]

Quote:
THIS is the confusion! What you are calling as parking indicators is infact hazard lights, as mentioned in my post.
There are couple of threads already on the subject of wrong usage of the Hazard Warning lamps. In spite of all these there is confusion all around and which is the reason we see so many blokes with hazards on for parking, for going straight at intersections, while reversing, during rains and you name it.

The syllabus for the driving test conducted by RTOs needs to be revised and updated to include such other things like lane discipline usage of dippers etc.
Old 17th October 2011, 01:31   #26
BHPian

Hi,

I stayed in Mumbai for a while. And it was a regular feature on the Mum-Pune E-way to see the Hazard lights of vehicles turned on when going into the tunnels.
I was driving from Bangalore to Mumbai, and was on the last stretch towards the end of the day. This was the E-way. This is when I came across this method by the people. I was shocked, and honestly very frustrated to see this.

On all my Mum-Pune drives thereafter, the wise guys next to me in the car would always swear by the moronic practice of switching on the hazards in the tunnels!

Let's get it clear, please. Hazard lights need to be used on stand still cars only. Not on moving vehicles.

Use of headlight during the day(and preferably DRLs) is perfectly legal, and as was pointed out, scientifically proven to be a safe practice. Safer than keeping off all lights.

Cheers and drive safe.
Sam
samarth.bhatia is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2011, 13:54   #27
Senior - BHPian

@samarth: you ahve got it slightly wrong. Hazard flashers are not supposed to be used only on a stand still car. They are to be used in any situation standstill or moving when your vehicle poses a threat to other vehicles. period. They are also mandatory to be switched on while towing a trailer or another vehicle.
Old 17th October 2011, 14:13   #28
Senior - BHPian

Well as an add on, I normally beep the hazard lights twice if I have cut into somebody else's lane in traffic as a note of "Thanks" or "Sorry" The interpretation is solely on the driver behind me
Old 17th October 2011, 14:17   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupratikDebnath View Post
Another bad habit which is spreading, is to switch on hazard lights when preparing to park!
I use the hazard lights when I am (in the act of) parallel parking (reversing) on the side of a busy road. Is this a bad habit ?

I have seen some cars in which the hazard lights automatically start blinking when you slot into the reverse gear. Is it correct to use hazard lights while reversing a car ?

Rohan

Last edited by rohan_iitr : 17th October 2011 at 14:18.
Old 17th October 2011, 14:48   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
I use the hazard lights when I am (in the act of) parallel parking (reversing) on the side of a busy road. Is this a bad habit ?

I have seen some cars in which the hazard lights automatically start blinking when you slot into the reverse gear. Is it correct to use hazard lights while reversing a car ?

Rohan
Not sure Rohan. :-( But going by the names of those lights, it only seems like a wrong usage. Nothing is mentioned in the MV act about this. S and D BHPians might be able to throw more light (literally) on this topic.

Most Viewed