Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th October 2011, 18:55   #1
BHPian

The future of Cars - Automatrix

@Mods : Please move this thread to appropriate section, if you feel that it is in the wrong section. Thank you.

I was provoked to write this article because of a documentry that I saw yesterday on Discovery HD about Future Cars. How will our cars be in 2030 or 2050. The below mention describes everything.

Imagine, you get up in the morning, and think that the first thing that you do is to go to the washroom, for brushing, or other works. What do you do after you brused your teeth, you think of breakfast, and so on the day continues.

Similarly, Cars in the future will have their own minds, I am sure you are aware of Artificial Intelligence. They will have a schedule of their own as well. Cars will have their own brains. They will a steering wheel just like a small joystick of some fancy videogame. The windscreen is not a windscreen but a digital interface to the user of the car, which measures the distance, lanes, density of the traffic, U-turn negotiations, and so on.

Imagine doing speeds of more than 300 Km/Hr on a highway, and more than 150 Kms/Hr in Cities. I am sure that you might be thinking about FE as well. To achieve those kinds of speeds, you need bigger engines. Now the question is, why do we still want to continue with the old internal combustion engine. This thought came to several people in the world and people also have started working on it. There would be this eletromagnetic engines, which somehow would rotate the wheels of a car, the best part is there would be no friction. The cars would be fasted. No fuel would be required to propel a car. I know the ideas in your mind too are seamlessly flowing in. There are other parts and benefits that I would be discussing in my next post
Attached Thumbnails
The future of Cars - Automatrix-1.jpg  

The future of Cars - Automatrix-2.jpg  

The future of Cars - Automatrix-3.jpg  

Old 17th October 2011, 22:45   #2
BHPian

Re: The future of Cars - Automatrix

I too saw it in the Discovery channel, very interesting. Tomorrow cars will be robots and communicate to other cars to identify traffic jams/accidents etc.
Old 17th October 2011, 23:16   #3
BHPian

AUTOMATRIX :

With the Automatrix, your car becomes a personal profile that other drivers on the road might be interested in.

Now here comes the interesting part.

Remember, we was discussing about getting up in the morning and doing our regular work. After we get freshed up, and you are ready to go to office, you think of your car, and you think that you have to take it out of the garage, or whatsoever the situation is. Lets say, some has some work left out that he has to complete before reaching office. The cars of the future will make it easy. With more that 10 thousand computer chips on board with each chip having more than 10 to the power of 28 transistors in them. Now thats supercomputing. Lets come back to reality. Lets say, you are in your car, and you dont feel like driving. All you gotta say is your destination, and the car would take you there in now time. Now imagine all cars connected to a central traffic server. That means that there would be minimal traffic jams, as they would be driving as per the rules "Strictly". Now, when I say "strictly", there's another term that contradicts strictness. If you are in an emergency, or lets say someone is having a baby, and they need to reach hostpital soon, and they chose their car. We cannot just follow all the rules and wait for the signals and so on, because we know this is an emergency. So what to do in this kind of situation. Theres another theme that the engineers of the future have come up with. The car will access your credit card information, and pay for breaking the signals. (atleast this is the theory, not sure what would happen in the future.) As the car would speed its way to the hospital, it would pay a nominal amount for the way, or may be an extra emergency lane. The cars would communicate with each other and also with you through a device connected to you, lets say, may be a wristwatch, which would be a key.

The car will be equipped with nano-technology paint, which would inturn be connected to the super-computer onboard. Lets say, the car gets a scratch, a very bad one. The car is designed as such, that the nanobytes would detect the scratch themselves, and fix the scratch themselves, and fix it automatically. This principle is based on the same as healing. If you get scratched, or bruised, it heals automatically, after a couple of days. Same goes with this car, however, it cant heal major dents, and wear and tear. It needs replacable parts. Just like Human beings. .

The one cool idea that is being develoved is, this would be a multicolor-car. Lets say, you dont want to drive a red car today, and you want to go out on a black or a funky colored car. All you have to do is to set the color of the car, and the car would change the color in 2 minutes, using the same nano-technology. Nano-technology is going to be implemented not only in cars, but everything.

There are sever testing companies, who have already worked, and have live successful results of automated driving, nano-technology fixing, and onboard supercomputing cars.

Your car would also reflect your social profiile.

As you know that a coin has two sides, advantages and disadvantages, advantages have been discussed. The disadvantages can be lot more devastating.

You know, anything and everything in the world can go bad. Because it is a machine at the end of the day. What happens if you are on a long drive, and the car is cruising on the highway at the speeds more than 300 Kms/Hr with autopilot enabled, and suddenly the onboard computer loses its mind, or loses it control over the cameras, or theres a computer chip that failed, then the car's driving blind. I am sure that this idea might have clicked your minds long time back. However, engineers have come up with a solution on that as well. When ever there's an onboard computer that fails, or any part of the car fails, then it shuts down automatically and stops itself and parks it on the parking lane. Now, the questions is, if you are in the middle of no where in the night, how would you go ahead. Thats the question that lies with all the engineers, that they still are waiting for ideas to come up with.

This is an amazing product that they are working on right now. I am waiting for it eagerly, and I know that my eagerness would cost around 40 to 50 more years.

You can find more information on automatrix at http://www.yourdiscovery.com/video/f...matrix-online/

Thanks and regards
RacingHart (Vijay)
Attached Thumbnails
The future of Cars - Automatrix-4.jpg  

The future of Cars - Automatrix-5.jpg  

The future of Cars - Automatrix-6.jpg  

The future of Cars - Automatrix-7.jpg  

The future of Cars - Automatrix-8.jpg  

The future of Cars - Automatrix-9.jpg  

The future of Cars - Automatrix-10.jpg  

The future of Cars - Automatrix-11.jpg  

The future of Cars - Automatrix-12.jpg  

The future of Cars - Automatrix-13.jpg  

The future of Cars - Automatrix-parking.jpg  

The future of Cars - Automatrix-parking-2.jpg  

Old 17th October 2011, 23:38   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopinathann View Post
I too saw it in the Discovery channel, very interesting. Tomorrow cars will be robots and communicate to other cars to identify traffic jams/accidents etc.

@ Gopinathann : You are true. The shows really amazing. I loved it. I am also researching on the same a lot, and will post all the updates as I gather them. Thank you.
Old 17th October 2011, 23:48   #5
Senior - BHPian

I would hate to be driven in these ugly looking metal sheets,cars of today are much better and enjoyable to drive around we dont need these.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks