Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 26th October 2011, 20:59   #1
BANNED

Headlight Issue with the Ritz

Hello All!

I own a 11 month old Ritz VDi. The car has a peculiar problem which I'm not able to understand where the fault could be.

The problem is:

In the night times when I switch in the headlamps either in low or high beam the left headlamp is not in the same level as the right headlamp. After a few seconds from switching it on it levels correctly. This happens every time the headlights are switched on 4-5hrs after use. The headlamp level switch is set at "0" position.

Can somebody help or find what the issue could be. Want to find the problem and get it rectified. In case the problem is not found then I may have to take it to the service center.

Regards,
Anurag.
Old 27th October 2011, 10:07   #2
BHPian

Re: Headlight Issue with the Ritz

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 27th October 2011 at 12:35.
NVI2112 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 27th October 2011, 10:25   #3
BHPian

Check if the bulb is properly aligned in the socket. Best would be to take it to the service centre though.
Old 27th October 2011, 10:25   #4
BHPian

Okay ask some one else to play around with the headlamp switch inside the car from 0 to 4.

You stand outside and look into the left headlamp cluster and see if the bulb light rays are moving up and down based on the input received from the dashboard of the ritz.

I'm guessing your relay or headlight adjustment quipment fitted on the left headlamp cluster has a fault.
Crazy4.Cars is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2011, 11:28   #5
Senior - BHPian

I guess it could be an issue with the stuff which is used to adjust the level of the lights.

Did it happen suddenly or there were some changes made, like headlight upgrade or anything after which you noticed this issue .

I also had a issue with one headlamp not working after i gave my car for some repairs.
And later found that the cables were not connected after fixing the other issues.
I know my issue was different from the one you are facing now.

Will be best if you could take the car the nearby MASS and get it checked.
Old 27th October 2011, 11:40   #6
Senior - BHPian

Does the left headlamp illuminate fully when switched on, and is it only the levelling that's a problem?

If the headlamp does not illuminate fully, it could be a faulty connection in the headlamp. If it's only the levelling problem, it could be something wrong with the levelling mechanism of the left headlamp.

Have someone switch on the headlamps while you stand in front of the car to check whether both lamps fully light up immediately after switching on. Also set the headlamp levelling switch to position 3 or 4, the other extreme, let the headlamps be levelled to the new position. Then switch off the ignition and then switch it on again and see if both lamps are now levelled correctly or you still have the levelling wrong in the left headlamp.

In case it's a levelling problem, best to consult the MASS on the same, most likely get a replacement of the headlamp levelling assembly.
Old 27th October 2011, 12:05   #7
Senior - BHPian

Levelling knob works for both left and right laps. In your case it is with one side.Levelling is based on the weight you carry. It maybe a loose bulb.Once agai check with MASS. If not rectified report to MARUTI support.
navan49 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2011, 12:49   #8
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVI2112 View Post
What was the opinion of the MASS people?
I haven't taken the car to MASS yet. wanted an opinion here first.
Quote:
Originally Posted by revintup View Post
Check if the bulb is properly aligned in the socket. Best would be to take it to the service centre though.
I shall check for the alignment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy4.Cars View Post
Okay ask some one else to play around with the headlamp switch inside the car from 0 to 4.

You stand outside and look into the left headlamp cluster and see if the bulb light rays are moving up and down based on the input received from the dashboard of the ritz.

I'm guessing your relay or headlight adjustment quipment fitted on the left headlamp cluster has a fault.
Both the headlamps respond to all the setting from 0 to 4 correctly and at same time. The problem is only in the first few seconds when the headlamps are switched on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoudhury View Post
I guess it could be an issue with the stuff which is used to adjust the level of the lights.

Did it happen suddenly or there were some changes made, like headlight upgrade or anything after which you noticed this issue .

I also had a issue with one headlamp not working after i gave my car for some repairs.
And later found that the cables were not connected after fixing the other issues.
I know my issue was different from the one you are facing now.

Will be best if you could take the car the nearby MASS and get it checked.
No upgrade or any thing was done. All stock. MASS have not touched the headlamps yet. I'll have to take it to MASS then! I'll do it soon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
Does the left headlamp illuminate fully when switched on, and is it only the levelling that's a problem?

If the headlamp does not illuminate fully, it could be a faulty connection in the headlamp. If it's only the levelling problem, it could be something wrong with the levelling mechanism of the left headlamp.

Have someone switch on the headlamps while you stand in front of the car to check whether both lamps fully light up immediately after switching on. Also set the headlamp levelling switch to position 3 or 4, the other extreme, let the headlamps be levelled to the new position. Then switch off the ignition and then switch it on again and see if both lamps are now levelled correctly or you still have the levelling wrong in the left headlamp.

In case it's a levelling problem, best to consult the MASS on the same, most likely get a replacement of the headlamp levelling assembly.
Headlamps illuminate normally and respond to all leveling from 0 to 4 (both the headlamps). All this as you mentioned I have checked. The problem persists. Will take it to MASS soon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by navan49 View Post
Levelling knob works for both left and right laps. In your case it is with one side.Levelling is based on the weight you carry. It maybe a loose bulb.Once agai check with MASS. If not rectified report to MARUTI support.
Yes i shall do that.
Old 27th October 2011, 15:16   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

The headlamp levelling switch is probably faulty. The resistance values change inside the switch when it is cold, changing the position of the headlamp levelling actuators - and restoring the position once current flows through for a few seconds.

That said, I am not sure why only one headlamp is affected, not both (might depend on the circuit layout). The levelling actuator motor of that particular headlamp being at fault would not cause this kind of behaviour, in fact levelling movement would stop altogether, which you report is not the case.
Old 29th October 2011, 08:51   #10
BHPian

In conclusion it is either an electric/electronic or mechanical fault of the leveling/headlamp assembly. As the vehicle is still under warranty get it fixed or replaced at the MASS as soon as possible.
Old 29th October 2011, 12:38   #11
BHPian

@a4anurag : One of the easiest way to check the lamp alignment is to park the vehicle real close to a wall, lights facing the wall and switch on the lights.

while sitting in the driver seat you would be able to light reflected back from the wall. Make a marking on the wall. Now change the positioning of the lights from 0 to 4 or otherway around and make the marking again on the wall.

Turn off the light and then have a look at the wall, it would give you a more accurate picture of the light alignment rather than depending purely on the eye sight.

Hope this helps.

cheers

Most Viewed