Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 1st November 2011, 11:49   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Polishing/Claying immediately after painting is bad? - Why?

My car underwent a full body painting and is out of the workshop today. Even though the finish is good, I wanted a full body polishing which included claying to even out even the minute imperfections.

But, the person at the workshop suggested that I DO NOT clay my car, as even if it would give a good shine/finish now, its bad for the paint and it will fade off in the future.

Is this true?. If so, whats the reason?.

P.S - I have not put a clear coat.

P.P.S - Mods, I think there is no topic in this regard, if so, please merge. Also, I thought it better to post this unique query separately instead of in http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...guide-338.html . Please feel free to do the needful, if required.
Old 1st November 2011, 17:16   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: Polishing/Claying immediately after painting is bad? - Why?

Its better to let the paint completely dry out for a month then get into claying. Sometimes freshly painted surface might react to such process. At the end of the day it depends on the kind of paint used and process followed which determines the kind of finishing that needs to be given. Again for imperfections a rubbing compound which cuts through is better compared to clay which removes the surface impurities.

Repainted surface definitely needs different kind of products and application to give the best results compared to a company finish.
Old 1st November 2011, 17:38   #3
Senior - BHPian

I thought the purpose of claying was to remove impurities from the clear coat. so its kinda useless on a fresh surface with no clear coat
Old 7th October 2012, 17:34   #4

I may be very late in posting this thread, but I thought it may prove to be of some use for future readers
1. Claying is a detailing process to remove surface contamination from a painted process and can be done on either a solid paint (without clear coat) or on an effect/mettallic/pearl finish paint (with clear coat). It can be done even on glass and is one of the effective ways to remove overspray.
2. A refinished car ie: a repainted car would not require claying as there would be no surface contimation on these cars provided they are painted inside a booth and the required process is adhered to. But, in most cases a refinished car would require polishing using a rubbing compound. It would also require sanding in certain areas to even out dirt nibs, if any and to remove the smoking followed by rubbing compound. Finally, the refinished car need to be waxed or sealed with sealants for protection from UV damage/water damage and more importantly to increase the gloss levels.
3. A refinished car can be polished as stated above once the paint/clear coat is fully cured and would depend on the type of hardner/clear coat used. The curing time would depend on the specifications of the paint manufacturer and could be around 48 hrs or so.

Most Viewed