Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th November 2011, 23:32   #1
BHPian

Swift D, Premature Disc damage and Turbo Whistle

Hi guys, need some input on this !

Off late I'm facing a couple of issues with my Swift D(2008,Ldi).

1st issue

Braking at high speeds(read 110 and above) on highways results in minor pulsation felt through the brake and slight cabin vibration too.

This has increased a bit, and the presence is now felt at 90 or 100 KMPH braking.

Everything is fine below 90 KMPH braking, what I mean ,is that if Im doing 60 and then brake , I dont feel anything. But at 90 and upwards , I do.

Now the SA has diagnosed this issue as a imperfection in the disc after a test drive he took and he has advised replacement of disc along with brake pads for a cool 5k!!!

I'm a little skeptical, as disc AFAIK last longer than the 30 K Kms I have used them for and the reason he has given me is that the car has gone through a bump.

PS Im not facing any lack of braking power nor any alignment, balancing issue. I can easily take the car upto 140 smoothly , the issue starts when I brake.

PS2 I have been advised to get the disc's " lathe'd/turned " but someone else told me not get them done as the brake will feel "spongy" after getting it done. Pretty Confused. Whom to listen to.

Any pointers?

2nd Issue

There is a whistling sound( louder than the usual turbo whine we encounter when the turbo does its job) During the speed band of 80-100.

Here is the weird bit:-

1.After 100 the whistle goes and it only starts at 80.

2.Only happens when I approach 80 and go up with 5th gear engaged, and does not happen when I tried it with the 4th gear and approached 80 and went onto 100 although it is not recommended to be in that gear(4th) at those speeds. BUT the sound disappears with the 4th!

3.There is no whistling whatsoever in an other speed band except 80-100 EXACTLY! I tried maxing out all gears.

4.The whistle is high pitched like a jet taking off , its pretty darn irritating sometimes!

5.I have not got any turbo/intercooler cleaning done at the moment/in the past as the surge after 2k RPM is OK!

6.What I dont understand is , if there is any issue with the turbo then its should make such a noise at all ranges and not in a particular band.

YELP!!!!

ANYTHING would be helpful.

GT500

Last edited by GT500 : 11th November 2011 at 23:37.
Old 11th November 2011, 23:59   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Swift D, Premature Disc damage and Turbo Whistle

1. Skimming the disc would solve the braking issue. Tried and tested.
2. AFAIK, swift does 80kph @ 2k RPM in 5th gear, which is where the turbo spools up.
Btw, have you installed any after market air filter ?

Last edited by kpzen : 12th November 2011 at 00:01.
Old 12th November 2011, 10:00   #3
BHPian

Re: Swift D, Premature Disc damage and Turbo Whistle

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
1. Skimming the disc would solve the braking issue. Tried and tested.
2. AFAIK, swift does 80kph @ 2k RPM in 5th gear, which is where the turbo spools up.

Btw, have you installed any after market air filter ?
Thanks for the reply,kpzen.

1.I guess skimming means getting it turned/lathed.

Some guys are telling me that the brake will go "spongy" and the brake pedal shall depress a little from its current position. Still confused. What does a "spongy" brake feel like ? OR is this total Bull being dished out so that they can sell me a new disc.

2. I dont have any aftermarket airfilter, whats intriguing is the speed band during which the sound comes!

Thanks

GT

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks